Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
MME, Infinite Blue, Premium, RWD, ER.
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove a dealer demo to an EA station to try out the charging in anticipation of my WI-FL road trip upon delivery in a few weeks.

It started out at 50kW (the battery charge at the beginning was 53% and I had been driving for 90min to get there. The temperature was 36)

It was to freaking windy to stand outside the car and look at the charger during the charge, so I waited in the car. I couldn’t see an indication IN the car of the power of the charge... is there one?

28kWh was delivered in 27min. (Until it reached 80% capacity)

That would make the average = 62.2kW? (28*60/27) Isn’t that quite low on a 150kW charger?

·
Registered
2021 Mach-E Premium ER AWD Rapid Red
238 Posts
Welcome to my world. Cold batteries equal slow charging. But I was able to get 103KW out of a Greenlots charging station today. The EA one I visited later topped out at 78KW and averaged 66 KW, delivering 23kwh in 22 minutes. I’m really hoping this changes in a few months when spring arrives.

·
Registered
365 Posts
That would make the average = 62.2kW? (28*60/27) Isn’t that quite low on a 150kW charger?
That's not bad for 28F and a 53% charge. Charging speed goes down with lower temp. Charging speed goes down as battery charge goes up.

The charging average had it started at 150kW and 10% would be 92kWh so considering the temp and 50% state of charge, 62kW rate is about right.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's not bad for 28F and a 53% charge. Charging speed goes down with lower temp. Charging speed goes down as battery charge goes up.

The charging average had it started at 150kW and 10% would be 92kWh so considering the temp and 50% state of charge, 62kW rate is about right.
Ok. Good to know. So the further south I go on my trip, each charge will give me longer range and the charging will be faster. Maybe I should just relocate back to SoCal 😂

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,775 Posts
Ok. Good to know. So the further south I go on my trip, each charge will give me longer range and the charging will be faster. Maybe I should just relocate back to SoCal 😂
There is a reason that most Tesla are registered in California and the south!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a reason that most Tesla are registered in California and the south!
Yes, I knew that 😃 Just hadn’t realized that it affected the charging as well.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Any early Tesla adopters here who can recall the Supercharger experience back in the day?

I do think the EA experience will improve once the MME, ID.4... start to ramp in volume. I can see the ID.4 owners complaining very loudly if their 3 year free charging experience is crappy.

·
Premium Member
2021 Mustang Mach-E Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,105 Posts
You may be able to charge faster but that's only if the State of California after taxes allows you to keep any of your income to pay for the charge.😭

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You may be able to charge faster but that's only if the State of California after taxes allows you to keep any of your income to pay for the charge.😭
Haha. I’m originally from Denmark where we pay a lot more in tax, so CA is not too bad from my perspective. WI is heaven though.

Although when living in San Francisco I used to charge my fusion energi at some of all the free chargers. Not many of those here in WI.

And when visiting friends in Palm Springs we’d benefit from the city law states that all chargers must be free.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I drove a dealer demo to an EA station to try out the charging in anticipation of my WI-FL road trip upon delivery in a few weeks.

It started out at 50kW (the battery charge at the beginning was 53% and I had been driving for 90min to get there. The temperature was 36)

It was to freaking windy to stand outside the car and look at the charger during the charge, so I waited in the car. I couldn’t see an indication IN the car of the power of the charge... is there one?

28kWh was delivered in 27min. (Until it reached 80% capacity)

If you turn the E-heat off during charging the charging will be faster when your battery is cold. The cabin shares heat with the battery so by turning off the e-heat the system will direct more heat to the battery. This tip was shared by Bjorn Nyland in his winter test video on You Tube.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Haha. I’m originally from Denmark where we pay a lot more in tax, so CA is not too bad from my perspective. WI is heaven though.

Although when living in San Francisco I used to charge my fusion energi at some of all the free chargers. Not many of those here in WI.

And when visiting friends in Palm Springs we’d benefit from the city law states that all chargers must be free.
If we had the and services amenities the Danes have... I would have no complaints about the tax here in NY.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If we had the and services amenities the Danes have... I would have no complaints about the tax here in NY.
With all the benefits we got, I happily paid my taxes and the 25% VAT in Denmark 🇩🇰

Only thing that was really hard on me, was the 180% surcharge on cars - with the VAT added on top of the total. It was gut wrenching every two years when I would shop for a new car 🤦🏼‍♂️😂

It’s now down to 150% - and EVs are partially exempt, but the MME is almost double in Denmark.

·
Premium Member
2021 Mustang Mach-E Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,105 Posts
With all the benefits we got, I happily paid my taxes and the 25% VAT in Denmark 🇩🇰

Only thing that was really hard on me, was the 180% surcharge on cars - with the VAT added on top of the total. It was gut wrenching every two years when I would shop for a new car 🤦🏼‍♂️😂

It’s now down to 150% - and EVs are partially exempt, but the MME is almost double in Denmark.
[/QUOTE
Ouch, I'll never complain about paying 8.38% sales tax on my vehicles. 😖

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you turn the E-heat off during charging the charging will be faster when your battery is cold. The cabin shares heat with the battery so by turning off the e-heat the system will direct more heat to the battery. This tip was shared by Bjorn Nyland in his winter test video on You Tube.
That’s really good to know!!! I’ll definitely make use again that when I get mine!! Thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I tried to follow Bjorn’s example. But it was 18° F outside and there were no amenities at the charger. It quickly became apparent that E-Heat is the only heat in the car. Charging faster was going to do me no good if I couldn’t drive afterward. DWH (Driving While Hypothermic) can look an awful lot like DWI.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I tried to follow Bjorn’s example. But it was 18° F outside and there were no amenities at the charger. It quickly became apparent that E-Heat is the only heat in the car. Charging faster was going to do me no good if I couldn’t drive afterward. DWH (Driving While Hypothermic) can look an awful lot like DWI.
Sure, that is only useful when there is a nice warm place to get a coffee and a snack. So did you find out if the eco heat off setting also cuts off heat to the seat heaters?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sure, that is only useful when there is a nice warm place to get a coffee and a snack. So did you find out if the eco heat off setting also cuts off heat to the seat heaters?
Seat heaters still work without e-heat. But cold air leaks through all the vents once e-heat is off.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I’ll also say that turning off e-heat didn’t seem to improve my charge speed at all. Day one I didn’t exceed 44KW with or without e-heat on an 18°F day. Yesterday, at 27°F I reached 108KW despite having e-heat on. So I’m still scratching my head.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts