Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Stripper White Electric Pony
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It pains me to come to bash... but here we go:

For something that cost over $70,000 to purchase, my 2021 Mach-E has been disappointing. It has more electronic bugs than anything I have ever owned before.

1. Bluetooth in this car is challenging to say the least.

2. It has VERY inconsistent power.

3. The dealership has yet to fix my rear left window. It shuts half way, then opens back up as if the track is jamming.

4. The sliding console cover jammed shortly after purchase. (On order from several months ago.) Unless it's made of semi-conductor material... I don't see why it's taking so long.

5. STILL no Blue Cruise

6. The dealership (Spradley-Barr Ford Fort Collins) told me to not use the app to schedule services... twice.

Fact of the matter is; for $70,000+, I received a car that was nowhere near ready to be sent out. I feel ripped off tbh. It was great for the first 3 months, after that it has been nothing but a downhill experience. I want a Tesla now, I tried to give the Mach-E a chance... MINE is absolutely substandard! Tesla cult doesn't have to deal with all these bugs... I'm sick of it!
It being quick/zippy no longer makes up for its terrible short comings. The Electric Lada might be a better choice...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I understand your frustration. But, Tesla had many bugs in their first year. I followed them very closely and almost bought the Y. The PAAK didn’t work well in the first year as with many other things. I’m not defending Ford because my Phone doesn’t unlock my driver side door as I approach the vehicle. But, it’s my only complaint so far. Sorry you are having so many issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am feeling the same pain, while I have not had any major issues, but lots of little things that do not work as promised. Simple items or options missing from a car that cost this much.
The ford Pass app is sub standard and does not work Reliably as I would have expected. I also have a Tesla Model Y on order and after getting Tesla will decide which car I keep and which one will go away.
No cooled seats option, no heated seats in back?
Charging speed is never close to what is advertised , it mostly charges at around 80 KWH. I have even switch chargers where another car (Audi e-tron) was charging at high speed. After I switched to same charger, I am still getting 90 Kwh.
The range is also much less, on a long trip (Highway driving) I would say I was more like 220 miles range.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

For something that cost over $70,000 to purchase, my 2021 Mach-E has been disappointing. It has more electronic bugs than anything I have ever owned before.

3. The dealership has yet to fix my rear left window. It shuts half way, then opens back up as if the track is jamming.

4. The sliding console cover jammed shortly after purchase. (On order from several months ago.) Unless it's made of semi-conductor material... I don't see why it's taking so long.

5. STILL no Blue Cruise

6. The dealership (Spradley-Barr Ford Fort Collins) told me to not use the app to schedule services... twice.

Fact of the matter is; for $70,000+, I received a car that was nowhere near ready to be sent out. I feel ripped off tbh. It was great for the first 3 months, after that it has been nothing but a downhill experience. I want a Tesla now, I tried to give the Mach-E a chance... MINE is absolutely substandard! Tesla cult doesn't have to deal with all these bugs... I'm sick of it!
It being quick/zippy no longer makes up for its terrible short comings. The Electric Lada might be a better choice... View attachment 6772 View attachment 6773

3 of the 6 issues you mention (Bluetooth, Blue Cruise, App service scheduler) are Software/IT related.... Maybe 4 (Inconsistent Power).
I've said this before but Ford is yet to prove to me that they are out of the blacksmith/gearhead/tin knocker mentality. If they want the valuation of a Transportation Technology Company (Tesla, Lucid, and the like), they need a serious investment in software engineering. I wonder if they see the value in hiring a bunch of $200K/year+ software engineers vs mechanical/thermal/electrical engineers. Takes a LOT of $$$ to hire good programmers these days.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm still dealing with the "will not start" issue - it's been back to the dealer 3 times for that - and the AWD and 1PD features regularly fail (did it again last night). Rebooting the car usually solves the AWD/1PD problems but when she won't start, it turns into a large paper weight. They keep reloading software to solve the won't start problem. This time around I've had the car for 6 days with only the 1 AWD/1PD fault but, based on history, I'm not optimistic. Every time I get in and push the start button I hold my breath. Shouldn't be this way.

·
Registered
10 Posts

5. STILL no Blue Cruise

It being quick/zippy no longer makes up for its terrible short comings. The Electric Lada might be a better choice... View attachment 6772 View attachment 6773
I've had many of the same issue myself. I got mine end of Feb. and have almost 12,000 miles. We've done several long distance trips.
PAAK is so painful most of the time. Since my husband and I are always traveling together we have constant PAAK battles with the car.
We can't open the passenger front door unless you open the back door first. Man, does that get old fast. Other than that no real hardware issues.
Lots of bugs in app and car. Range display buggy (not important at all). Lots of display "quirks".
On a trip now and before we left we took to the dealer for 10K "service" (tire rotation) and overall check up. I made appt on dealer website, specified Mach-e and some recall/fix numbers to be addressed. When we got to the dealer we were told they couldn't do the service because they had no tech with Mach-e experience available and we should make another appt. I'm still unclear how to make an appt to ensure a tech is available. I think they just want me to drop off the car and they keep it until they are able to look at it which can be hours or days. We only have one car so that really doesn't work.
Am I ready to trade it in, not yet. I knew a new model was going to have "startup" issues.
We've met lots of people on the road at charging stations. Talked to many with new EVs of all sorts of models (no Teslas). Pretty much everyone we talk to loves their cars but also talk about issue they are having. I think it's the nature of the beast for new technology.

·
Registered
54 Posts

5. STILL no Blue Cruise

i’m going to respond by explaining why I didn’t buy a Tesla. A friend of mine bought a model3. In fact he’s bought two of them in each case the body panels were misaligned. On the first one it had leaks through the windows and seams in the roof glass. The second car a model Y when he closed the rear hatch it would hit the rear quarter panel on one side and chipped off the paint. The delivery center tried to fix it by pulling the hatch off using a deburring tool to open the hole up for the mounting bolt so that they could realign it and then give the guy the car. He refused to take the car and they had to give them a completely different model Y.

Software you can fix leaks and misaligned body panels sure maybe you can but it’s a lot more work. What I can tell you is I haven’t had half the software problems that you’ve had and the build quality from a body and fit perspective is excellent . Sorry it’s not your experience.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i’m going to respond by explaining why I didn’t buy a Tesla. A friend of mine bought a model3. In fact he’s bought two of them in each case the body panels were misaligned. On the first one it had leaks through the windows and seams in the roof glass. The second car a model Y when he closed the rear hatch it would hit the rear quarter panel on one side and chipped off the paint. The delivery center tried to fix it by pulling the hatch off using a deburring tool to open the hole up for the mounting bolt so that they could realign it and then give the guy the car. He refused to take the car and they had to give them a completely different model Y.

Software you can fix leaks and misaligned body panels sure maybe you can but it’s a lot more work. What I can tell you is I haven’t had half the software problems that you’ve had and the build quality from a body and fit perspective is excellent . Sorry it’s not your experience.
That experience is extremely rare today. My Model Y delivery had zero defects to report. Tesla software and Supercharging are close to flawless. I hope Ford can resolve their early model difficulties too, and soon, and get production up to a decent number. There will be over a million Model Ys out there by the end of next year. We need BEVs as attractive as the Mach E in volume to help satisfy the need to transition to renewable energy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm still dealing with the "will not start" issue - it's been back to the dealer 3 times for that - and the AWD and 1PD features regularly fail (did it again last night). Rebooting the car usually solves the AWD/1PD problems but when she won't start, it turns into a large paper weight. They keep reloading software to solve the won't start problem. This time around I've had the car for 6 days with only the 1 AWD/1PD fault but, based on history, I'm not optimistic. Every time I get in and push the start button I hold my breath. Shouldn't be this way.
I suggest you tell them you are exercising the lemon law and have them buy it back.

·
Super Moderator
2,997 Posts
I have had my Mach-E4X since March 2021, and I have 7300 miles on it. After incentives and rebates, my out of pocket cost was $40k for a $55k MSRP. The only issue I have is the PaaK performance, but I have not bothered to take it in for the software update that corrects this yet. I expected software bugs, which get squashed as the software keeps improving with each update.
Physically, my car has had no issues yet. I did need the ‘inspect/tighten bolt’ recall done, which took all of 20 minutes.
I am more than satisfied with my MMe.

·
Registered
2021 MACH -e 4X Black
7 Posts
Over 70K$?:unsure: This car has cutting edge technology so it might have some software bugs that can be fixed but at the same time you shouldn't be having all those issues.
Always call the dealer on the telephone and talk with the service manager, get their name, double check all information, make sure they know not to waste your time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bluetooth connection issues happen on almost every bluetooth device I have ever owned. It’s frustrating, but kind of just the nature of the technology.
What is inconsistent with the power?
I have had window issues also. When it has happened, I hold down for 10 seconds then up for 10 seconds and the motor is reset and works again. Maybe same thing?
Sliding console lid is quite painful. I put some silicone grease in the tracks and have had no more issues.
It’s barely fall; blue cruise will come soon enough.
Dealerships mostly suck for most everything.
Sure PaaK has issues, switch to the key fob. Every Tesla friend & coworker of mine carries the key for same connection type issues. Even with the key, one coworker doesn’t parallel park because his door handle is so slow to respond. Be careful thinking any car right now will satisfy both the driver and the tech junkie.

·
Registered
26 Posts

5. STILL no Blue Cruise

I deal with the same stuff. Really frustrating, the infotainment system is a joke. I’d understand if this is was something to do with the drivetrain as they may have needed time to get the bugs out, but CAR PLAY! This has been on fords for over 10 years now. Mine never works the same two days in a row, the PAAK or the presets or window issue ( you can reset the window, call Vista Ford in Woodland Hills, CA), always something. Oh well back to the drawing board. I’m a gluten for punishment, reserved an F 150, we’ll see if it’s are addressed.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Bluetooth connection issues happen on almost every bluetooth device I have ever owned. It’s frustrating, but kind of just the nature of the technology.
What is inconsistent with the power?
I have had window issues also. When it has happened, I hold down for 10 seconds then up for 10 seconds and the motor is reset and works again. Maybe same thing?
Sliding console lid is quite painful. I put some silicone grease in the tracks and have had no more issues.
It’s barely fall; blue cruise will come soon enough.
Dealerships mostly suck for most everything.
Sure PaaK has issues, switch to the key fob. Every Tesla friend & coworker of mine carries the key for same connection type issues. Even with the key, one coworker doesn’t parallel park because his door handle is so slow to respond. Be careful thinking any car right now will satisfy both the driver and the tech junkie.
I haven't had problems with windows. but that sounds like good tip. Thanks. How did you find out about it?

·
Registered
221 Posts

5. STILL no Blue Cruise

It being quick/zippy no longer makes up for its terrible short comings. The Electric Lada might be a better choice... View attachment 6772 i

5. STILL no Blue Cruise

Interesting. I have over 18k miles on mine, and the console and the windows have given no trouble. I agree that both should work.

I don't use bluetooth much, or FordPass, or PAAK, so I can't comment.
I have the occasional software glitch: Adaptive Cruise won't engage, and the main screen has locked up once or twice. Resetting the screen and/or stopping and turning off the vehicle for ten seconds has always fixed it, but it is frustrating.
Basically, my FE has been pretty good.

I do hate that there are some basic functions that I can't access while driving: it lets me complete four steps on the screen, then blocks the crucial fifth one. I don't get it, and I find it very frustrating.

I also want Bluecruise, and I agree that it needs to ship soon, as well as possibly giving me 3 more kwhr of battery usage and a 90% DCFC cutoff, as opposed to 80%. Ford needs to "ship" these things very soon. OTA is great, but you have to actually send out the crucial and badly needed updates.

I am glad that you posted: we need to hear both the good and the bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is interesting to follow these threads. I don't know why someone is saying the OP is a fake. When I looked at an MME, the added stealer markup, along with sale tax and all the other fees you get hit with would have pushed the MME into the 70k range. They were slapping 10k on the sticker price. Add in a big chunk for sales tax, registration etc. and the price grew pretty quickly.

I extensively shopped the MME. I really wanted the MME GT Perf. Edition. So every bit of info I could devour on the MME platform I did. I was ready to pull the trigger and put in my order but in the end I didn't. It was a painful decision. I have been a long time Ford lover. My dad worked at Ford to pay for med school. His brother was a senior electrical engineer for Philco-Ford and then stayed with Ford when they sold off Philco. Even built a Cobra replicar. Had a bunch of Mustangs over the year. Built a super quick turbo V8 one and even had the SVO one. So when I saw Ford was coming out with a real, honest to God, potentially serious competitor to Tesla, I was onboard.

The reason I didn't buy the MME was overwhelming concerns/issues with some of the ones I read here. I lurked for some time before finally setting up an account. I've personally lived through more than my share of them with Ford. Some were very serious, others minor by comparison. I was an early adopter of Ford hybrids and BEV (Focus) and even their Ecoboost motors. Every time I've done this I've been burned pretty badly. Listed below in order of uncovered expenses for repair.

• 2010 Ford Flex Ecoboost - motor went toes to the wind at 40k miles, just out of warranty, no help from Ford and they wanted 10k to replace the motor minimum.
  • 2015 Focus Electric - major drivetrain failure, all kinds of other electrical gremlins the dealer couldn't find. Mytouch issues there as well, at least these happened while in warranty. Sold that POS as quick as I could and took a huge bath on it. I think I dropped about 4k in uncovered repairs. They had a recall/TSB after I already dumped it.
  • 2014 Cmax Energi - probably better in some ways than my other recent Fords but some expensive issues. Mytouch died- dealer tried to shaft me, wanted $1800 to replace. It shouldn't have died at 60k miles. They wanted $800 in labor. I spent 20 minutes myself and find the part I needed for less than the $900 they wanted. Car still doesn't have even 100k miles on it. Battery capacity is less than 55% of new. I used to get 26 miles on a charge, lucky if I get 13 without AC. I get about 12 with AC (fairly efficient) but on heat (resistive) maybe 9 miles if it is 40 degrees out. Then my charger cable overheated, melted, and caused a fire in the garage. Bought a replacement from another company. A year later Ford sends out a recall about my very same issue but wouldn't give me a replacement because I didn't have the original to turn in. Photos of the damage and melted charger weren't enough. Still have it, nobody will give me enough to make it worth selling. Will drive it until it won't move under its own power.
One thing in common is they all depreciated incredibly quick. Hell, the value of these cars sunk faster than a rock in the ocean. When I stepped back and looked at it unemotionally, there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell I wanted to basically be another beta tester for Ford, especially when factoring in the depreciation aspect. The Cmax nosedived 20k in value the first year alone. TBH there is something about the Cmax we still like. It has amazing range on gas, and combined with electric it can go over 500 miles easily. AC worked amazingly well in death valley. Autopark worked even better than on our Flex and does great on either side of the road. A great alternative to a Prius if you aren't as concerned about fuel economy. Easier to find a parking spot in the city and nobody in hell is going to steal so I do have a grudging respect for the little blowfish.

So at the end of the day when I bailed on the MME I bought a Tesla Model Y. I am the furthest thing you can be from a Tesla Stan/fanboi/etc. I read all the forums horror stories. Heard about the panel fitment issues. So I held my nose so to speak and ordered one anyway. Ordering process was painless. No added stealer markup. Trying to figure out when I'd actually get my car was like trying to pin down a politician about their pork spending.

Finally I got a call my car would be arriving. I showed up with a clipboard and a crazy long PDI checklist to look for issues. I looked over everything on my list. Crawled all over the car, checked everything I could and only thing was so minor I thought I'd wait to have it taken care of. The button for the passenger door to open had to be pushed pretty hard to open. Thought it might work better over time. All my panels were in alignment. No trim gaps or issues. No stains, marks, or anything I could find. I drove it home and no weird squeaks or rattles. Everything was tighter than the last Mercedes or Audi I bought. So here I am months later, 10k miles, lots of trailer towing, cross country trips, etc. I have finally stopped worrying about all the stuff I read.

If I do hate it someday, I know I can probably get out of it pretty easily without too much of a loss if any. Current models like mine are selling for 10k used more than I paid for it. I am not naive enough to think that will last but before the used car market went crazy, Model 3's and Y's held their value very well. So I have been treating this period of ownership as a VERY extended test drive. Since I didn't pay over retail, as I would have done if I bought the MME locally, my depreciation isn't going to be crazily skewed like it would for an over sticker MME in the future.

As a car, Tesla got a lot of things right. If I had bought the MME GT Perf I would have been very unhappy, even if the car had absolutely no issues and I bought it at retail. The fact that Ford limits power after the 0-60 sprint is a huge deal killer for me. That would basically neuter the car for me. It is like turning your V8 into a V6 after you go above 60 mph. Why even bother?

I am so glad that Ford did make the MME. It was a pretty bold move, especially slapping the Ponycar badge on it. I do hope it will put some serious pressure on Tesla to up their game which in turn puts pressure on Ford and we all win. As for driving a Tesla, it reminds me of the old joke. What is the difference between a BMW and a porcupine? In a BMW the pricks are on the inside. I am not that type. The Tesla reddit can be pretty brutal unless you aren't smoking the Tesla crack and worship Elon.

I hope Ford takes care of all the MME owners who have issues with this to make the platform a success. I clearly never felt any support from Ford when I had issues but with this car being so critical to the future and sort of a halo car, I hope they will. I would really like to have the MME to replace the Cmax if we can finally get rid of it.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
2,053 Posts
The old adage still wrings true:

"Never ever buy first year of production"
To me what is the most disappointing, but not surprising is the failure of Ford dealers to effective deal with the myriad of issues on the MachE. (If you go back to the earliest posts, one of the reasons to get a MachE over a Tesla was the dealer network and availability of parts)

Why I am not surprised is the way dealers are set up: the number of MachE each dealer gets is minimal so the MachE from an income producing point is unimportant. Further unless the dealer can extract ADM, then the profit on each MachE is minimal. Low volume, minimal markup leads to poor customer support.

Who would have thought that could happen!

Just over two years ago Ford rolled out the new Explorer. Within the first 6 months there were 3 recalls. Ford swore that would never happen again and that the MachE would be "bullet proof".

Now 9 months after its introduction, there have already been two recalls on the MachE: one for the roof and one for the windshield.

Soon the new Cadillac Lyric will be coming to market: It will be interesting to see if it too will will be plagued by "first year of production problems".

On the bright side, Ford stock has more than doubled and is now trading at $16 and their bonds are no longer trading like junk! My 2018 Ford Edge Sport has had only one issue, the replacement of the heated steering - under warranty. Otherwise it has cost me zero in maintenance. Ford agreed to extend my lease for a year and also extended the warranty, the miles allowed and threw in a free oil and filter change and rotation of tires, If the Edge continues to give me this exemplary service, at the end of the lease I may even buy it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
@JTK44 - Very salient points and ones I generally try and follow. I in my past life as an engineer, sometimes I didn't have the luxury of enough time to get everything right before production demands took the product out of my hands so to speak. With respect to my recent Ford purchases listed above which excluded a truck (F150). I waited until the second year or later and was apparently still a beta tester. That is what really infuriated me. I figured most of the issues would be mostly ironed out by year 2. No such luck in my case.

My Model Y is the second year and the OTA updates have definitely improved an already very good car.

One thing I am curious to see is how Ford addresses towing in the MME and in the new pickup. It just crushes your range. With a Tesla, not as much of an issue as super chargers are everywhere and the Y charges at a very high rate if a new super charger.

My first long distance trip with it was towing so was very concerned how that was going to work out. At the end of the day it was very easy but the challenge was finding a charger where I could plug in with the trailer attached. On the flip side, and factoring in the energy vs fuel costs, compared to my other tow vehicle it was getting about 85mpge. So I stopped more often than unladen but the cost was really quite low.

That is the aspect of a Tesla I read about previously but really came to love in short order. That currently is Tesla's trump card if you need to travel farther than you can make it out and back on a charge from home. The other thing that I didn't appreciate before is how little battery degradation I've seen. My Cmax in the first 10k miles (many on gas) lost over 10% of the charge. Based on my experience so far, at worst I've lost maybe 1%. It is so minimal hard to tell.

The challenge I think with all BEVs is really understanding the nuances of battery only. Minimizing deep discharges, or charging to 90% or more when not needed. The Tesla heat pump is a game changer for EVs too. There are so many things that adversely impact your experience if you aren't prepared for them up front when driving an electric car.

I hope Ford is doing focus groups on current owners to get their real feedback or lurking on forums. Despite my minor gripes of my Model Y such as too austere of an interior for the $$$ (liked the MME better), offset display (annoys the crap out of me still), no ventilated seat option, not ready for prime time full (fool) self driving, and a few other nits, there is a reason (lots of them) if you order one now (cheapest long range version in white with base wheels) you can't get it until July next year.

It just astounds me that there is so much demand for the car even without any governmental incentives at the federal level. If Ford can get the MME taken care of quickly it could be a major cash cow for them like the F150 has been over the years. For all the CBD oil Elon has likely been partaking of, and some things he does that are infuriating, he really crushed with the Model Y and it was also brilliant for Ford to target it rather than the Model 3.

I lived through the era of smog motor cars. I had a V8 Corvette ('75 Stingray) and thinking if that is the best we have to offer from a "performance" car, no point driving. Our little Cmax would smoke that thing 0-60 and in the 1/4. Now you can buy an MME (or Tesla) that would decimate a '67 427 Vette by any measure of performance. Pretty amazing times we live in. I'll still take the '67 over the Tesla though even if slower. Same goes for any of the old Shelby's based on Ford platforms.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
2,053 Posts
I had a 1966 Mustang GT, 4 on the floor convertible with the rallye pack. Took out the stock cam and distributor and replaced it with the HiPO cam and dual point distributor. After three winters in Syracuse where I went to law school, all the salt on the road, the body rusted out. Traded it in on 1969 Volvo P1800 that had Stromberg carburetors which I swapped out for two dual webers DC40e and a different exhaust system.

Wish I kept either of them, especially the GT Mustang. Back in those days, if you could afford it, you drove a car 60/75,000 miles and got a new one. No one thought about "classics". As Julia Roberts said in Pretty Woman, Big Mistake!

Another point in favor of the Model Y is that Tesla does offer competitive leasing while there is non on the MacheE and as you correctly point out a robust charging infrastructure. It will be interesting to see what happens to both the MSRP and the resale value of the MachE once the Federal tax credits run out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts