Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
So I’m wondering with delivery going in to summer of 2021 for some, have there been any talks of new model years starting next year 2021? Or just start model line officially in 2022. I have a ‘21 Premium ordered now but if by the time I get it, and the ‘22 is a few months away, I’d rather wait. Especially to have the newer tech and batteries.

Any feedback?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just guessing on my part, but if you have a Premium on order now, I think you'll receive it well before summer of 2021.

I've got a Premium ordered also. I'm hoping it comes in before new years, and if not then sometime in January. We'll see I guess!

No idea what's on tap for 2022. Again just my guess -- nothing significantly changed. No new battery tech, etc. Maybe some new or changed paint colors, maybe a new interior color option.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Typically cars go through a full refresh every 3-4 years or so. Most likely there won't be too much other than styling changes, colors, maybe some new packages for let's say the Select, etc.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
746 Posts
I have no way of knowing, but I would think that battery technology will continue to improve by leaps and bounds.

At first I thought my First Edition might be special, a "collector's car" and hold it's value.

Over time reality has set in: Do the First Tesla have any special place in the automotive world? No.

Every year Tesla has improved and the price has come down.

To expect differently with the MachE is illogical.

IMO, the longer you wait the better the car and the cheaper the price!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no way of knowing, but I would think that battery technology will continue to improve by leaps and bounds.

At first I thought my First Edition might be special, a "collector's car" and hold it's value.

Over time reality has set in: Do the First Tesla have any special place in the automotive world? No.

Every year Tesla has improved and the price has come down.

To expect differently with the MachE is illogical.

IMO, the longer you wait the better the car and the cheaper the price!

I agree. That’s why I’m referring specifically with the 1st 2 model years. I’m perfectly fine with the notion of a 2024 Mach E blowing the doors off my 2021 edition. By then they’d be on a regular cycle. If I understand correctly this model is a later cycle than normal.

If ‘22 is nothing but Trim edits, I’m fine jumping in with the ‘21. I don’t buy $60k cars often lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just guessing on my part, but if you have a Premium on order now, I think you'll receive it well before summer of 2021.

I've got a Premium ordered also. I'm hoping it comes in before new years, and if not then sometime in January. We'll see I guess!

No idea what's on tap for 2022. Again just my guess -- nothing significantly changed. No new battery tech, etc. Maybe some new or changed paint colors, maybe a new interior color option.
I have a Premium but I may switch to GT. From what I’ve read, those are Summer 21 cars. Hopefully you’re right on ‘22 options

·
Registered
223 Posts
Most cars go through a level of refinement on the 2nd model year but by the 3rd and 4th model years, there's really no significant changes. To keep they buying public interested, color/option packages or incentives are offered.
That said, some rethinking is in order when it comes to EVs. Software updates are HUGE. A large part of the Mach E success will be the level of aftercare Ford provides with OTA updates and how they price them. I for one think when Ford does add the autonomous driving features, they should just make it free to the early adopters and any enhancements should also be free. At least during the warranty period. Safety updates should always be free.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
Keeping a vehicle like the MMe fresh and up to date is possible, unlike in the ‘old days’. Even my 2018 Fusion feels backwards updating its system. Partial updates come OtA via my home WiFi, but i just had to update the Nav Maps via a USB drive, and the vehicle had to be running the whole time.

With the MMe OtA updates. I can see free stuff, like system, functional, and safety updates. Big paid upgrades, like the Co-Pilot Autonomous Drive Assist. And smaller free or low cost items like apps, games, themes, etc.

In four years, the advancements on battery tech, etc may not justify the cost of upgrading to a new vehicle. And the cosmetic stuff may be minor. It may be more the question if you want to upgrade, not that you need to do so.

·
Registered
40 Posts
For the most part, I wouldn't expect many changes to Mache in 2022. Back in 2014 I bought the Ford Cmax, still have it to this day. The first year the max came out in 2013 they had a host of dead
battery issues and required reprograming of the computer. I hope we don't run into issues like that.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
746 Posts
People keep talking about "over the air" updates as if that is cure all for all the problems inherent in the first year of production of an entirely new, first time ever, vehicle for Ford.

It is one thing when an auto manufacturer redesigns an existing model, for example the new Ford Explorer. They have a basic concept which they modify thinking the modifications will make it better. Sometimes yes and sometimes no, but if the roll out of the 2020 Explorer with three recalls within the first 6 months, is any indications, we can expect problems with the new MachE.

This is brand new first of its kind for Ford. To expect that computers will find all the flaws and have them fixed before we get our MachE is being naive:

If you doubt me, go see the movie "Ford vs. Ferrari" and see what Ken Miles did with Ford computers!

If there is a problem with the battery, suspension, AC, heating, steering, OTA updates are not going to fix that. It will require trips to the dealer to have the problems fixed.

This is just the nature of first year of production.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
755 Posts
Keeping a vehicle like the MMe fresh and up to date is possible, unlike in the ‘old days’. Even my 2018 Fusion feels backwards updating its system. Partial updates come OtA via my home WiFi, but i just had to update the Nav Maps via a USB drive, and the vehicle had to be running the whole time.

With the MMe OtA updates. I can see free stuff, like system, functional, and safety updates. Big paid upgrades, like the Co-Pilot Autonomous Drive Assist. And smaller free or low cost items like apps, games, themes, etc.

In four years, the advancements on battery tech, etc may not justify the cost of upgrading to a new vehicle. And the cosmetic stuff may be minor. It may be more the question if you want to upgrade, not that you need to do so.
When I updated the Nav. I left the Fusion plugged in and running. The download took hours via Wi-Fi

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
People keep talking about "over the air" updates as if that is cure all for all the problems inherent in the first year of production of an entirely new, first time ever, vehicle for Ford.

It is one thing when an auto manufacturer redesigns an existing model, for example the new Ford Explorer. They have a basic concept which they modify thinking the modifications will make it better. Sometimes yes and sometimes no, but if the roll out of the 2020 Explorer with three recalls within the first 6 months, is any indications, we can expect problems with the new MachE.

This is brand new first of its kind for Ford. To expect that computers will find all the flaws and have them fixed before we get our MachE is being naive:

If you doubt me, go see the movie "Ford vs. Ferrari" and see what Ken Miles did with Ford computers!

If there is a problem with the battery, suspension, AC, heating, steering, OTA updates are not going to fix that. It will require trips to the dealer to have the problems fixed.

This is just the nature of first year of production.
Physical remedies will be necessary, and expected, this is common knowledge. It goes without saying because I don’t think anyone thinks software can magically fix or replace a faulty fastener or widget.

Where software updates do excel is in keeping the car ‘more relevant’ as desired features can be added, performance updated, etc. Thats within the physical limits of the car’s architecture, of course.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,019 Posts
Nissan has used 3-year cycles for each Leaf design.

Year 1 is a redesign from the previous series
Year 2 adds options, including a bigger battery
Year 3 the bigger battery becomes standard
repeat

I don't expect anything like this from Ford in 2022, though. My expectation is 2022 they will increase their line and produce more than 50,000 cars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts