Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my MME on May 1 and just got a build date last week (Nov 26). Can't tell you how excited I am. I just went to the website to drool a bit more, and see that they're now taking orders on 2022s. I'm curious whether mine will be 2021 or 2022. Anyone know how that works? (Also, I'm getting mine in space white, but I'm liking the new iced blue silver metallic offered with 2022s. I'm curious to know if I'm getting a 2022 to see if I could switch to that.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
2022’s start 11/29. Your getting a 2021 unless your delayed a couple of days. If you get delayed you might be able to change the color. Other wise you are lock in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ford is screwing everyone over with the 2021 build year after making us wait for 6-9 months for our cars to be built. Now we’re going to get stuck with lower resale values because the car will be “a year older”. No discounts, just $70 of free charging on their network for our “inconveniences”.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah - I agree. My wife is encouraging me to call our Ford dealer to see if he can push my build date back a week. I figure there's no shot in hell, but I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
2,053 Posts
Just my $.02:

Pre chip supply problem, would anyone ever consider buying a 2021 model in November of 2021, knowing that the 2022's will start delivering in a matter of weeks and/or days without a significant discount from MSRP? Once those 2022 models appear the 2021 will be one year old.

In September of 2018, I leased my 2018 Ford Edge Sport. The 2019 were starting to arrive at the dealer. In order to move their 2018 models, they had to substantially discount the 2018.

When the chip supply problem resolves itself, those who take delivery between now and November 2021 and paid full MSRP for their 2021 model, when they go to either sell or trade in their cars, I think will be very, very unhappy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just my $.02:

Pre chip supply problem, would anyone ever consider buying a 2021 model in November of 2021, knowing that the 2022's will start delivering in a matter of weeks and/or days without a significant discount from MSRP? Once those 2022 models appear the 2021 will be one year old.

In September of 2018, I leased my 2018 Ford Edge Sport. The 2019 were starting to arrive at the dealer. In order to move their 2018 models, they had to substantially discount the 2018.

When the chip supply problem resolves itself, those who take delivery between now and November 2021 and paid full MSRP for their 2021 model, when they go to either sell or trade in their cars, I think will be very, very unhappy.
True -- The more I think about it, I am seriously considering cancelling my order and starting from scratch. I think I'd rather get my 2022 next May than my 2021 in December/January. I could also get the color I prefer. My current car works fine, and I waited this long; what's six more months?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just my $.02:

To solve their supply issues, Ford raised their MSRP for 2022 on some MME features and certain models. It does help somewhat with our future resale value issues.

There has been a lot of bad faith information coming from Ford and their dealerships. Their pre-delivery customer service has been non-existent.

When I ordered my MME back in April there wasn’t dealership markups and we were social distancing, I didn’t spend much time in the dealership. I just figured that the car would be sold to me at the MSRP. Now I am worried that they are going to try and gouge me for a markup because I do not have the entire agreed pricing in writing. I will wage nuclear war on the dealership if they try to mark up my car after waiting for 7 months for the car. I don’t need the car but I’m due for a new car.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
True -- The more I think about it, I am seriously considering cancelling my order and starting from scratch. I think I'd rather get my 2022 next May than my 2021 in December/January. I could also get the color I prefer. My current car works fine, and I waited this long; what's six more months?
This is certainly what I would do. In no circumstances would I be willing to eat a year's depreciation - which is exactly what will happen if you take a 2021 between now and when the 2022 start to roll out in November.

I also think the longer you wait, the more bugs and computer problems will have been worked out.

Second year of production is always better than the first year!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah - I agree. My wife is encouraging me to call our Ford dealer to see if he can push my build date back a week. I figure there's no shot in hell, but I'll give it a try.
Would you please tell me more about the Lil peep skull jacket? Do you think these things are good for winter?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is certainly what I would do. In no circumstances would I be willing to eat a year's depreciation - which is exactly what will happen if you take a 2021 between now and when the 2022 start to roll out in November.

I also think the longer you wait, the more bugs and computer problems will have been worked out.

Second year of production is always better than the first year!
I did order the 2022 last week, and I haven't canceled my 2021. I'm considering taking the 2021 and keeping it until my 2022 arrives, then selling it. Given what people are paying for used cars, and assuming I'd get the tax credit on both, it is a win-win. I don't think I'd lose much money and might even make some.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I did order the 2022 last week, and I haven't canceled my 2021. I'm considering taking the 2021 and keeping it until my 2022 arrives, then selling it. Given what people are paying for used cars, and assuming I'd get the tax credit on both, it is a win-win. I don't think I'd lose much money and might even make some.
Actually I think you will:

TAX: When you buy the car you will have to pay sales tax.

• When you go to sell the car, you will have to reduce the price you paid by the Federal Tax credit, $7,500
  • There may state tax credits that you received. You will be forced to reduce the price equal to the State tax credits

Once you have arrived at that price, will you be able to mark up the car sufficient to recoup the sales tax you have paid? Sales tax is usually 6% to 9% depending on where you buy the car. For you to break even you must be able to increase the selling price by the sales tax you have paid. Pretty soon your car stats to approach the price of a new car.

Finally, by the time your 2022 comes in, probably not until April 2022, will the chip supply problem still be there? If not, then the premium people are paying for used cars today will be gone.

Personally, I think the chances are that you will lose not make money buying a 2021 today and then selling it once your 2022 comes in.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually I think you will:

TAX: When you buy the car you will have to pay sales tax.

• When you go to sell the car, you will have to reduce the price you paid by the Federal Tax credit, $7,500
  • There may state tax credits that you received. You will be forced to reduce the price equal to the State tax credits

Once you have arrived at that price, will you be able to mark up the car sufficient to recoup the sales tax you have paid? Sales tax is usually 6% to 9% depending on where you buy the car. For you to break even you must be able to increase the selling price by the sales tax you have paid. Pretty soon your car stats to approach the price of a new car.

Finally, by the time your 2022 comes in, probably not until April 2022, will the chip supply problem still be there? If not, then the premium people are paying for used cars today will be gone.

Personally, I think the chances are that you will lose not make money buying a 2021 today and then selling it once your 2022 comes in.

Just my $.02.
Thank you very much for your feedback. I was unaware of any requirement that I reduce the price I sell the car by the $7500 tax credit I received. Is that part of the law? I appreciate your other points. You are correct that I will pay 6% sales tax -- I had factored that in, but thought it would be balanced out by the $7500 credit. If not, then this would be a bad move for me. And you are correct that the chip shortage may be resolved by then, but I think it will take some time for dealerships to build up their inventories. I'm not as concerned about that...but losing that $7500 tax credit would be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Thank you very much for your feedback. I was unaware of any requirement that I reduce the price I sell the car by the $7500 tax credit I received. Is that part of the law? I appreciate your other points. You are correct that I will pay 6% sales tax -- I had factored that in, but thought it would be balanced out by the $7500 credit. If not, then this would be a bad move for me. And you are correct that the chip shortage may be resolved by then, but I think it will take some time for dealerships to build up their inventories. I'm not as concerned about that...but losing that $7500 tax credit would be a deal breaker.
No: There is no law requiring you to refund the Federal Tax Credit.

But keep in mind that anyone buying a new MachE will be paying MSRP less:

• Federal Tax Credit of $7,500
  • Any state credits
If we assume a MSRP of $50,000 and a sales tax of 6%, and a state credit of $1,000, your cost will be:

MSRP: $50,000 + $3,000 sales tax, $53,000 less Federal tax credit, $7,500 less state tax credit of $1,000 your cost $44,500.

If you sold the car for $44,500 you break even.

However, the cost to the buyer will be $44,500 plus 6% sales tax, or $2,670 or $47,170:

In other words, for you to become whole you would have to find a buyer willing to pay $2,670 more for a used car than ordering and waiting for a new car.

Personally, I do not think that is realistic.

The best I think you can hope to do, is to sell a one year old (2021 vs, 2022) used for slightly less than the cost of new car or at best for the price of new car. I just do not see anyone paying more for a one year old car than a new car. Do you?

If you sold your 2021 for $41,000 the buyer's cost will be $41,000 + 6%, $43,460 which would be a savings to the buyer vs. new of only $1,040. This honestly is the best I think anyone will be able to do.

A sale at $41,000 means you have lost $3,500.

I really do not see anyway for you to break even, never mind making a profit.

Again just my $.02.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts