Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. It is made in North America. That's the rule not just the US.
Great news. I have a 2021 Premium with regular battery and with used value and rebate I have a reservation to upgrade to the 2023 GT. I was also able to snag the F150 lightning and it is amazingly fast. My dilemma now is can I really get by with two electric vehicles and no gas in my driveway. Thanks again

·
Registered
2021 Mach-E Select AWD | Iconic Silver
177 Posts
Great news. I have a 2021 Premium with regular battery and with used value and rebate I have a reservation to upgrade to the 2023 GT. I was also able to snag the F150 lightning and it is amazingly fast. My dilemma now is can I really get by with two electric vehicles and no gas in my driveway. Thanks again
GeraldWythe answered your question correctly. North America is more than just the USA. But you may want to ask additional questions if you hope to get the $7500 tax credit from the IRS.

You may already know all this but...

We do know the remaining new language for the EV Tax Credit does take effect in a few months on January 1 2023. Ford predicts none of its vehicles will qualify for the EV Tax Credit starting then due to the fact the battery does not qualify because of where it is assembled/built (Poland) and the requirements about mineral contents sourced. Also of course the wealthiest top 5% of Americans (greater than $150k/year income) no longer get the tax credit coupon to help them buy a car, and the car must cost less than a certain amount to qualify. If the Mach-E is not deemed a legit SUV but just a hatchback the MSRP must be $55k or less, and if it is deemed SUV by IRS than can cost up to $80k.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GeraldWythe answered your question correctly. North America is more than just the USA. But you may want to ask additional questions if you hope to get the $7500 tax credit from the IRS.

We do know the remaining new language for the EV Tax Credit does take effect in a few months on January 1 2023. Ford predicts none of its vehicles will qualify for the EV Tax Credit starting then due to the fact the battery does not qualify because of where it is assembled/built (Poland) and the requirements about mineral contents sourced. Also of course the wealthiest top 5% of Americans (greater than $150k/year income) no longer get the tax credit coupon to help them buy a car, and the car must cost less than a certain amount to qualify. If the Mach-E is not deemed a legit SUV but just a hatchback the MSRP must be $55k or less, and if it is deemed SUV by IRS than can cost up to $80k.
Good info. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,068 Posts

According to the EPA, the Mach-E is an SUV. Being a Federal agency, I assume this is what the IRS will go by. I don’t see them maintaining a separate list. We shall see.

One important point: If a BEV qualifies for the full credit, there is an option to use it at the time of purchase. But be warned, this is not a rebate! If you opt for this and your income-tax burden for the year is less than $7500, you will have to repay the difference at tax time!

·
Registered
494 Posts
...If a BEV qualifies for the full credit, there is an option to use it at the time of purchase. But be warned, this is not a rebate! If you opt for this and your income-tax burden for the year is less than $7500, you will have to repay the difference at tax time!
Point of purchase is set for 2024, not before. We really need to see an official statement as to whether this is a refundable or conventional credit. I don't think that it was the intention to exclude low-income earners from the full value of the credits, especially the used car credit.

·
Super Moderator
3,068 Posts
Point of purchase is set for 2024, not before. We really need to see an official statement as to whether this is a refundable or conventional credit. I don't think that it was the intention to exclude low-income earners from the full value of the credits, especially the used car credit.
From the actual wording, it still reads like an income-tax credit. As a ‘self-funded’ program, I doubt it will be otherwise.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Tes, and there are two types of "income tax credits", one of which is refundable like the earned income credit. The "self-funded" part of the IRA is the political reference to several tax increases and IRS enforcement.

·
Registered
177 Posts
From the actual wording, it still reads like an income-tax credit. As a ‘self-funded’ program, I doubt it will be otherwise.
Traditionally are not all things taxpayer-funded, apologies, I'm not sure what 'self-funded' means. Except I guess since 2001 pretty much of all new increases in spending and decreases in revenues in the USA are actually funded mostly by loans from China(?) so taxpayers are not helping cover all that, lol.

·
Super Moderator
3,068 Posts
Traditionally are not all things taxpayer-funded, apologies, I'm not sure what 'self-funded' means. Except I guess since 2001 pretty much of all new increases in spending and decreases in revenues in the USA are actually funded mostly by loans from China(?) so taxpayers are not helping cover all that, lol.
Lol. Self-funded in the sense that the only credit a taxpayer receives is equal or less than the taxes they would have owed. A rebate would need to be funded by other tax monies.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Lol. Self-funded in the sense that the only credit a taxpayer receives is equal or less than the taxes they would have owed. A rebate would need to be funded by other tax monies.
Got it, a tax rebate would be more expensive to pay for. A tax credit reduces tax revenue but a tax rebate reduces tax revenue as well as requires other additional funding (by other tax monies or loans).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the input on the rebate. I was extremely fortunate on my 2021 MachE. I am retired and had arbitrarily told my finance guy to not take out taxes on one of my quarterly incomes because I was getting a rebate not realizing that I had to owe the government $7500 or I wouldn’t get the rebate or only get partial rebate. I was lucky the first time now I understand how it works I’m going to take no chance. I’m glad my tax deductions are easy to control. I am now upgrading to the GT. By selling my premium outright and getting another rebate on the GT the difference is crazy small.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks for all of the input on the rebate. I was extremely fortunate on my 2021 MachE. I am retired and had arbitrarily told my finance guy to not take out taxes on one of my quarterly incomes because I was getting a rebate not realizing that I had to owe the government $7500 or I wouldn’t get the rebate or only get partial rebate. I was lucky the first time now I understand how it works I’m going to take no chance. I’m glad my tax deductions are easy to control. I am now upgrading to the GT. By selling my premium outright and getting another rebate on the GT the difference is crazy small.
Well, you know this, but for other folx who read it, to get all $7500 dollars of the tax credit, of course you do not have to literally still OWE $7500 in tax to the gov't at that moment in April 15th, when you file your taxes, just need to have made enough income during the year to have paid $7500+ in federal taxes that year. Then you can get back $7500 of what you paid earlier in the year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts