Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
2023 Mach E California Rt 1 & 2018 Shelby GT350
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up (1/9) a 2023 Mach E Cali RT 1 which comes with extended battery range (300+ miles) but at full charge it only shows 260 miles range. Is anybody else experiencing the same problem or what could be the issue? if anyone can put some light on to this please.

· Registered
133 Posts
Dozens of threads on GOM (guess-o-meter) displays, winter/cold weather decrease in range, lead foot, low tire pressure, head wind, uphill, etc. Lower your expectations and embrace the "ohmmm". No more ICE noise.

If you drive like grandma, you'll get the 310. If you drive like you stole it - and have fun - much less. The GOM will adjust to your style - much of the time.

· Registered
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
482 Posts
Just picked up (1/9) a 2023 Mach E Cali RT 1 which comes with extended battery range (300+ miles) but at full charge it only shows 260 miles range. Is anybody else experiencing the same problem or what could be the issue? if anyone can put some light on to this please.
You live in CT. Simple answer is WINTER. 260, in the dead of winter, will be a dream. Your range will drop as temps drop and you build driving history. If you get 210 at 100% in 20 degree weather, that's good.

Also - charge to 90% per your manual, 100% if leaving on a trip.

· Registered
2,403 Posts
I will add to this wisdom as I've said elsewhere on this forum. Speed kills (range).
I think it really is a combination: In stop and go traffic you pick up range through regenerative braking, which on the highway you do not get. Of course the faster you go, the more air resistance and that reduces range. But the majority of "range kill" at highway speed below 65 mph is no regenerative braking.

· Premium Member
2022 GT, Red-metallic
102 Posts
I think it really is a combination: In stop and go traffic you pick up range through regenerative braking, which on the highway you do not get. Of course the faster you go, the more air resistance and that reduces range. But the majority of "range kill" at highway speed below 65 mph is no regenerative braking.
I would disagree with this. Traveling at constant speed is the most efficient. It is air resistance or drag which scales with the square of your speed that gets you at highway speeds.
Regenerative braking may recapture 90% of the energy (not sure what this value is in reality), but it is still energy lost compared to driving at constant speed.

· Registered
2021 Tesla MY, 2017 Volt, Mach e Premium 11/5/22
204 Posts
I agree. Out here and outside of urban areas the highway speeds are 65+ posted and most people seem to drive 5-10 over.

· Registered
618 Posts
I would disagree with this. Traveling at constant speed is the most efficient. It is air resistance or drag which scales with the square of your speed that gets you at highway speeds.
Regenerative braking may recapture 90% of the energy (not sure what this value is in reality), but it is still energy lost compared to driving at constant speed.
Agree with you but does not the aerodynamic force increase as the cube of the speed. That how I remember it from my daughters windmill science project.
P = F x v = 1/2pv^3 x A x c
P (power)
F (force)
p (density of fluid)
v (velocity)
A (area)
c (coefficient of drag)

· Premium Member
2022 GT, Red-metallic
102 Posts
Agree with you but does not the aerodynamic force increase as the cube of the speed. That how I remember it from my daughters windmill science project.
P = F x v = 1/2pv^3 x A x c
P (power)
F (force)
p (density of fluid)
v (velocity)
A (area)
c (coefficient of drag)
Yeah, the drag force scales with velocity squared and the power required to overcome (F x V) scales as cubed. So, I guess in this case power is the more appropriate metric.
Drag Force (Wikipedia)
So, that shows how important drag is at highway speeds. So going 75 mph versus 65 mph should scale as (75/65)^3 or takes 54% more power to overcome drag.
There are several other factors at play as well, so that the total power required does not scale as high. I think the reported scaling of 75 mph versus slower (~ 45 mph) speeds is on the order of 25%. Still, at these speeds drag becomes a huge factor. A good reason to drive the speed limit (gulp!) on long highway trips. Sit back, turn on BlueCruise, play your tunes, turn off the radar detector, and relax! Or, maybe, drive in the draft of a big truck -- I wonder how that affects your mi/KWh?

· Registered
4 Posts
I have a similar problem. Range quoted when I bought the MacheGT was 270 miles, however it only charges to around 200. This discrepancy is too big to forgive.

· Registered
4 Posts
I have a similar problem, the quoted range on my MacheGT was 270 miles, that's one reason I bought it. However it only charges to around 200 miles, that's too big of a discrepancy to ignore. I will ask at the dealer, but fear I will only get stonewalled......

· Premium Member
2022 GT, Red-metallic
102 Posts
I have a similar problem, the quoted range on my MacheGT was 270 miles, that's one reason I bought it. However it only charges to around 200 miles, that's too big of a discrepancy to ignore. I will ask at the dealer, but fear I will only get stonewalled......
See all the posts about range estimates in winter versus summer and versus driving habits. The weather has been mild in Dallas area lately and my GT often shows >3 mi/KWh on local trips (threshold for 270 mile range). But, I occasionally drive a bit aggressively and sometimes hit the highway and there have been cooler temperature periods and that reduces the range. Check your trip display versus driving conditions, but you need to drive for at least 10 minutes for it to give a reasonable average. Mine typically estimates 250 miles (212 at 85%) after a charge, but that estimate is based on recent driving history and current temperature.

· Registered
618 Posts
Yeah, the drag force scales with velocity squared and the power required to overcome (F x V) scales as cubed. So, I guess in this case power is the more appropriate metric.
Drag Force (Wikipedia)
So, that shows how important drag is at highway speeds. So going 75 mph versus 65 mph should scale as (75/65)^3 or takes 54% more power to overcome drag.
There are several other factors at play as well, so that the total power required does not scale as high. I think the reported scaling of 75 mph versus slower (~ 45 mph) speeds is on the order of 25%. Still, at these speeds drag becomes a huge factor. A good reason to drive the speed limit (gulp!) on long highway trips. Sit back, turn on BlueCruise, play your tunes, turn off the radar detector, and relax! Or, maybe, drive in the draft of a big truck -- I wonder how that affects your mi/KWh?
Lots of info in your reference. So maybe at some lower speeds (laminar flow) the power req'd is proportional to v^2 but at turbulent flow is v^3. In reference to driving in a draft I remember some bicyclist achieving something like 125 mph by riding behind a truck with a canopy on its back end. Car shape is critical but we all don't want to drive vehicles that look like eggs.

· Registered
2021 Tesla MY, 2017 Volt, Mach e Premium 11/5/22
204 Posts
Drafting a semi-truck would reduce your wind resistance. It also puts your windshield at risk for rocks hitting it by the rear wheels of the truck. And remember if you can't see him in his rear view mirrors, he can't see you. On the whole IMHO that drafting big rigs is not prudent.

· Registered
482 Posts
I have a similar problem. Range quoted when I bought the MacheGT was 270 miles, however it only charges to around 200. This discrepancy is too big to forgive.
What was the "range quoted" when you bought your gas powered vehicle?

Did you know that gas powered vehicles lose noticeable range in winter also? Fuel Economy in Cold Weather.

· Registered
2,403 Posts
What was the "range quoted" when you bought your gas powered vehicle?

Did you know that gas powered vehicles lose noticeable range in winter also? Fuel Economy in Cold Weather.
I have been driving to Vermont for skiing for over 50 years: It is a fact that colder air is more dense than warmer air and denser air gives more power in an ICE than warmer air. If you check your tire pressure, which I do every time I drive, I find my mileage in the winter is actually better not worse, than driving in the summer: reason is pretty simple: the heat you get in an ICE in the winter is free. The AC you are running in the summer is not.

But if you set your tire pressure in the summer for 32 psi at 75 degrees, at 25 degrees, if you do not check your pressure, the pressure will drop between 5 and 7 psi: that drop in tire pressure will result in lower gas mileage.

As to the article you posted:

• Avoid short trips
  • Do not let your car sit and idle to warm up: when you do this your mpg is ZERO
  • Keep your tire pressure at the recommended pressure: it should be the same in summer and winter
  • Where possible garage your car

· Registered
482 Posts
Does anybody do any research before purchasing an EV? Post after post on this forum about first time EV purchasers being surprised that the range is less than expected. smh.
The reality is that most people don't research anything before they buy it. It's not just this forum, it's not just EVs. Some are lazy. Some don't understand enough to do the research. Some say they don't have the time. And some, well, ...

· Registered
2 Posts
In cold weather it doesn’t charge to the fullest range.

· Registered
10 Posts
I have had mine couple weeks, mine says 285 and we have 30 degrees here.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts