Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New to the forum. Have a couple questions I hope you guys can answer.
1. How do I get my extended battery to show? I am only showing 200 miles right now, just purchased on Friday. Feel like my extended battery is not kicked in.

2. How do I get the battery to charge past 80% at charging stations? Is there a setting I can change? I am a Realtor and drive between two different states. I need the car Charged as much as possible.

Thank you in Advance!
Katie

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi All,

1. How do I get my extended battery to show? I am only showing 200 miles right now, just purchased on Friday. Feel like my extended battery is not kicked in.

2. How do I get the battery to charge past 80% at charging stations? Is there a setting I can change? I am a Realtor and drive between two different states. I need the car Charged as much as possible.

Thank you in Advance!
Katie
I thinking charging above 80% at charging stations (high capacity) is not a good idea. But charging at 10.5kW at home/hotel to 100% should not be an issue.

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,711 Posts
Hi All,

Thank you in Advance!
Katie
2. Charging from 80% to 100% on a DCFC station will take over one hour plus the time to get to 80%. The charge rate drops to around 11 to 13 kWh once you hit 80%. You're much better off starting at 100% on a Level 2 AC 240V at home and only charging to 80% on the road, and making an extra stop or two if necessary when utilizing a DCFC unit.
As to 1. Browse the Forum that question has been extensively discussed. Simple answer pay little attention to the range meter it's an estimate that changes with road, weather and driving style.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hi All,

Thank you in Advance!
Katie
The max charge settings are set by charging location from the car or the ford pas app. How far between your fast charge stations? As others commented it's best to charge to only 80% for efficient use of your time and cost at dc fast chg stations and 100% at home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All,

Thank you in Advance!
Katie
I have the 2021 Ford Mach E AWD Extended battery. I rent so I asked the maintenance team to put in a split volt on the wall and it safely shares the 240V with my dryer and my mach E. It may say the extended battery gives you 270mi to 300mi but you have to "teach" the battery to increase miles to that amount. (others have claimed better success) I have never gotten my battery to get past 261mi and Ford's response is that it is a "suggestion" I have had to erase the driver history every night just to get the battery up to 261 and it has taken me a month to get that far. (Settings/Vehicle/Scroll down to driver history and hold to reset completed) I am very happy with the Mach E! The ride is smooth and quiet and I have plenty of power. I drive 35,000 miles annually so the charging is a bit of an issue because alot of the pumps are not working but are still listed on the apps. If a unit says availability unknown that probably means the unit is not usable at all. Some units are vandalized and they are not first priority to service when they are down. I never fast charge past 80% because it is not recommended so I charge to 100% at home. I do "Top Off" my Mach E with free chargers when they are available. The best fast chargers I have found are Electrify America....I absolutely love them!! Fast, efficient charging stations and they are usually all working. Hope this helps....Love love love my Mach E

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
I have the 2021 Ford Mach E AWD Extended battery. I rent so I asked the maintenance team to put in a split volt on the wall and it safely shares the 240V with my dryer and my mach E. It may say the extended battery gives you 270mi to 300mi but you have to "teach" the battery to increase miles to that amount. (others have claimed better success) I have never gotten my battery to get past 261mi and Ford's response is that it is a "suggestion" I have had to erase the driver history every night just to get the battery up to 261 and it has taken me a month to get that far. (Settings/Vehicle/Scroll down to driver history and hold to reset completed) I am very happy with the Mach E! The ride is smooth and quiet and I have plenty of power. I drive 35,000 miles annually so the charging is a bit of an issue because alot of the pumps are not working but are still listed on the apps. If a unit says availability unknown that probably means the unit is not usable at all. Some units are vandalized and they are not first priority to service when they are down. I never fast charge past 80% because it is not recommended so I charge to 100% at home. I do "Top Off" my Mach E with free chargers when they are available. The best fast chargers I have found are Electrify America....I absolutely love them!! Fast, efficient charging stations and they are usually all working. Hope this helps....Love love love my Mach E
How many miles per kWh are you averaging local vs Hwy driving? If you keep resetting driver history the MMe will default to factory setting and never really learn your driving style. The "Guess o Meter" (GoM) is not the best way to determine range. Use miles per kWh x usable battery capacity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How many miles per kWh are you averaging local vs Hwy driving? If you keep resetting driver history the MMe will default to factory setting and never really learn your driving style. The "Guess o Meter" (GoM) is not the best way to determine range. Use miles per kWh x usable battery capacity.
My bottom line is getting my extended battery to extend. By resetting my driving history that is the only way to get my battery to reset higher and higher. I won't do it forever, just during this initial period of driving. I am also finding when family members drive my mach e their driving history definitely impacts the charging availability also. For right now erasing the driving history is the only answer I have gotten after many calls to several dealerships and a very frustrating call to Ford pass number. If you have any suggestions on how to get the extended battery to wake up and do its job please let me know.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My bottom line is getting my extended battery to extend. By resetting my driving history that is the only way to get my battery to reset higher and higher. I won't do it forever, just during this initial period of driving. I am also finding when family members drive my mach e their driving history definitely impacts the charging availability also. For right now erasing the driving history is the only answer I have gotten after many calls to several dealerships and a very frustrating call to Ford pass number. If you have any suggestions on how to get the extended battery to wake up and do its job please let me know.
I don't understand your "getting my extended battery to extend".....the estimated range is just that, an estimate based on all the same factors that affect range in an ICE vehicle.....how fast you drive, heater, ac, weather conditions (cold), etc.....I am retired so little to no highway driving, almost all local under 40mph.....so in my Select RWD SR in summer, I can get range estimates over 300 miles when EPA ratting is 230.....where do you live?, here in NJ we have had a few cold days, that affects estimated range.....most folks reset driving history once when they take delivery.....this way the car will get to "know" your driving styles.....some folks say be concerned with mi/kwh, which will give you a better idea of your range than the "GOM".....also if other family members are driving the car, their style of driving will affect estimated range....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think we have two different ideas we are writing about. My car is an AWD with the extended battery. When I got it at the dealership they only had it charged to 141 miles of range and I had to travel 170 miles just to get home. I thought the extended battery automatically gave you 270 to 300 miles of range. It does not. Image my surprise when my first charge completed at 225. I wasn't aware that you have to "teach" your battery to increase the charge. It has taken me approximately a month to get my battery to charge to 261 and that is done by erasing the driver history repeatedly. I can find no other information and I have called several dealerships and Ford Pass toll free number (very frustrating call). I drive 35K miles per year so I purchased the extended battery for a reason. Other drivers seem to have gotten the 270 - 300 however I did not.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think we have two different ideas we are writing about. My car is an AWD with the extended battery. When I got it at the dealership they only had it charged to 141 miles of range and I had to travel 170 miles just to get home. I thought the extended battery automatically gave you 270 to 300 miles of range. It does not. Image my surprise when my first charge completed at 225. I wasn't aware that you have to "teach" your battery to increase the charge. It has taken me approximately a month to get my battery to charge to 261 and that is done by erasing the driver history repeatedly. I can find no other information and I have called several dealerships and Ford Pass toll free number (very frustrating call). I drive 35K miles per year so I purchased the extended battery for a reason. Other drivers seem to have gotten the 270 - 300 however I did not.
if we both got in identical ICE cars and both drove to the same destination, with one of us going 75mph and the other going 55 mph, we most likely would not get the same miles per gallon.....the EPA estimated range, whether SR or Extended range, is based on a certain procedure by the EPA/Ford......no car comes with a set range, it is an estimate based on how YOU drive.....people with the same Select RWD SR battery (that I have) may get less or more estimated range than I do based on their driving needs and style.....if you are always driving fast/highway you may never get the estimated range you are looking for....some questions for you, how fast do you drive?, is it cold where you live?, use the heater/defroster often?.....

·
Registered
409 Posts
Shame on the dealer for not giving you 100% charge when you bought your car. That is one of the dealer pre-delivery tasks. You are not teaching the battery you are teaching the software that displays the ESTIMATED miles. You charge by kilowatts, a measure of a quantity of energy and unless your battery is extremely cold the amount kilowatts your battery can hold should not vary much until the battery ages many years. Leave one of the Trip meters unset (Like Trip 2) and that will give you your longer term mi/kwh. The EPA 270 is about 3.1. I was getting 3.7 in the summer and dropped below 3 in colder weather. When you charge your car at home start it while plugged in to preheat car and battery before you depart to save the juice in you battery. Hopefully you have adequate chargers in your driving area.

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
You have been provided with very accurate responses to your question. You are not "teaching the battery" the battery holds a set amount of power (capacity) and in the case of an ER it's 88.8 kWh in the 2021s and 90 kWh usable in the 22s that power is affected by the conditions listed above. The range meter GOM is (as stated) an estimate. However If you feel that resetting the driver history is doing something to "extend" your extended battery's capacity it's like Chicken Soup, it may not help but it won't hurt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

Thank you in Advance!
Katie
The software in the car controls the charging rate at fast chargers(DC) It would take a software update to change that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts