Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the US version will support 3-phase charging like the EU/rest of the world version does?

Background: Many European households have 3x16(+ I guess) three phase outlets that with 240v can deliver 11kW home charging. Ford has stated their EU spec onboard charger supports this. I haven’t found this information on any of the US sites however. Tesla for example has different onboard chargers in their EU/US cars which (among other reasons ) eliminates the possibility of importing a US Tesla to Europe. I’m hoping to buy the new Mach E but know I’ll be moving to Europe in few years and wouldn’t want to acquire a vehicle I can’t take with me.

I asked my dealer about this but they seem quite clueless to be honest.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I haven't been able to find much about 3-phase charging in the US or Canada. Did your dealer say they'd try and get an answer for you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Three phase is standard in many European countries, including the one I’m planning to move in few years and to take the car with me. Wasn’t planning to use it here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interesting. I just studied the pictogram for the main electrical panels in our condominium unit (flat) in Vilnius, Lithuania built in 2004, and it does seem to have three phase service, to feed the stove.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From Audi website, don’t know if this is applicable to the US version though (called local Audi dealer, they had no idea but promised to get back to me, don’t think they will)

Three-phase current

Three-phase power is a three-phase alternating current whose phases are offset by
120 degrees. This enables a continuous flow of power and the development of strong rotating magnetic fields. Electrical utilities around the world operate their grids with
three-phase current because it is easy to transform. In the home, larger consumers such as kitchen stoves are connected to the red, five-pole three-phase outlets with a voltage of 400 volts. The current is usually 16 or 32 amperes, and the corresponding output 11 or 22 kW, respectively.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The US car would need to have a rectifier that can transform 400V AC to the DC that the car battery requires. It would be great if one model works for US and EU, hopefully, also cost savings by sticking with 1 model.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It would be interesting if we could make tweaks to the software like such in the future as clearly the hardware is there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts