Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Loving My First Edition MME in Rapid Red!!
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen several articles in the last few days about how the nationwide 3G shutdown will be affecting various makes and models and how some car companies are planning to deal or not deal with it. I have not seen anything about Fords or specifically the MME. Do we know anything yet?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I've seen several articles in the last few days about how the nationwide 3G shutdown will be affecting various makes and models and how some car companies are planning to deal or not deal with it. I have not seen anything about Fords or specifically the MME. Do we know anything yet?
Ford sent me a letter on my 2017 Lincoln MKX that if I want to continue using some of the remote services (like start your car in Minnesota when you are in California for example) I will have to have a modem upgrade at my own expense when cellular companies shut down their 3G service.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I received a letter from Acura letting me know my 2015 Acura "Acura Link 3G Service" will no longer be operable starting August 2021 (my renew date). In order to be able to continue the service I would have to purchase a new 4G module that costs more than $1,000; no thanks. The other option Acura mentioned was for me to get a new 2021 Acura; no thanks again. I'll live without Acura Link although it did give me a more secure feeling and the concierge service was nice too.

• Sad
Reactions: miked47a

·
Registered
559 Posts
We’ll, I’m thinking, in 3-4 years, 4g will be discontinued. So that’ll make our 4-5 year old car’s modems obsolete. Hopefully they’ll be done with their over the air updates by then.
Hopefully it will be longer than that. There should always be an option to upgrade the cars modem. I updated my Lincoln MKX from a 3g modem to 4g modem so I could continue all connected services. I did have to pay for the upgrade as I was beyond the 4 yr warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts