Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Along with charger options, answered here is if you need more than the Ford mobile charger.

"The 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E is one of the most dynamic new electric cars coming to market in 2021. In this video, we discuss how to charge the Mach-E and how long it will take depending on what equipment you use.

We then attempt to charge a Mach-E with seven popular home charging units, including the Tesla Wall Connector to make sure there aren't any compatibility issues.

Finally, we take a look at Ford's mobile charger that's included with the Mach-E, compare it to Tesla's mobile connector, and explain why that might be good enough to cover all of your charging needs."

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
205 Posts
The Grizzl-E charger says the next version will have wireless. Should I care? I thought the Mach E was able to control all the charging times and options, so why does the wall unit need wireless? Do other brands typically have wireless?

·
Registered
205 Posts
The Grizzl-E charger says the next version will have wireless. Should I care? I thought the Mach E was able to control all the charging times and options, so why does the wall unit need wireless? Do other brands typically have wireless?
I ordered the Grizzl-E charger and will report on it once I have it installed. The price point is excellent and seems to perform everything necessary. After some research, I concluded wireless on the charger is pointless, since everything can be controlled using wireless from the vehicle. It's like having a wireless refrigerator - possible but not something I would ever use.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,131 Posts
. It's like having a wireless refrigerator - possible but not something I would ever use.
100%

Is it UL certified.

Some of the top brands carry an UL listing, which for me is important.

From my experience, if there is fire at one end of the house, and an improper electrical configuration is found at the other end, totally unrelated to the fire, insurance companies will deny coverage.

Of course you can prove them wrong, but that takes time, energy and often dollars. Better to just make sure everything in your house is up to code.

For me, I will start with the charger that comes from Ford, and if I find that insufficient I will get an after market charger, but only one that is UL certified.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My Ford dealer was not sure if or when they could get a Ford charger. I can get a third-party charger delivered in 2-3 days. This was a factor in my decision to go with a third party.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Ford dealer was not sure if or when they could get a Ford charger. I can get a third-party charger delivered in 2-3 days. This was a factor in my decision to go with a third party.
Of all things to not have in time for first deliveries, I did not expect it to be the official charger.

·
Registered
592 Posts
We got the Juicebox 40 with an instant $450 rebate from our utility. One of the conditions of the rebate is that we use off peak hours for the bulk of our charging (the case anyway). This is monitored via wifi (yes, they're spying on us). The rebate required that we connect the charger to Wifi within a month or so of purchasing it.

Before I saw the rebate which I couldn't pass up, I was looking at the Clipper Creek dual charger with management features which allow priority for each charger (charge one car first than the other, charge both at a lower rate, etc). When we become a 2 BEV family, nice to lie in bed at night and change the charging priority based on the required drive for each vehicle... For example if my wife needs to travel a longer distance as she often does for business, we can tell the charger to charge her car first , then mine.... switching to both in the morning for cabin pre-conditioning. These features I would absolutely use so Wifi control done correctly is not a novelty/useless feature IMO.

·
Registered
205 Posts
We got the Juicebox 40 with an instant $450 rebate from our utility. One of the conditions of the rebate is that we use off peak hours for the bulk of our charging (the case anyway). This is monitored via wifi (yes, they're spying on us). The rebate required that we connect the charger to Wifi within a month or so of purchasing it.

Before I saw the rebate which I couldn't pass up, I was looking at the Clipper Creek dual charger with management features which allow priority for each charger (charge one car first than the other, charge both at a lower rate, etc). When we become a 2 BEV family, nice to lie in bed at night and change the charging priority based on the required drive for each vehicle... For example if my wife needs to travel a longer distance as she often does for business, we can tell the charger to charge her car first , then mine.... switching to both in the morning for cabin pre-conditioning. These features I would absolutely use so Wifi control done correctly is not a novelty/useless feature IMO.
In the 2 BEV situation it would definitely be an advantage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts