Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so everyone seems to like a better route planner app. I agree, but is there a way to get it to plan for a round trip? I cannot seem to get it to do this and it would be useful as it would know what SOC you are at at the start of the return

·
Registered
17 Posts
so everyone seems to like a better route planner app. I agree, but is there a way to get it to plan for a round trip? I cannot seem to get it to do this and it would be useful as it would know what SOC you are at at the start of the return
If you click "add waypoint", the dropdown should show previous waypoints, and you can select your starting point again.

·
Registered
MME, Infinite Blue, Premium, RWD, ER.
278 Posts
I use PlugShare to plan all my trips. Then I verify the charger locations and bookmark them in Apple Maps. It’s a little tedious, but it let’s me choose the charging network(s) and most importantly the minimum charging speed.

I love the idea of the Ford trip planner and the very precise top up notifications, but after it took me to a 50kW charger while adding 90miles to my trip I gave up on it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I use PlugShare to plan all my trips. Then I verify the charger locations and bookmark them in Apple Maps. It’s a little tedious, but it let’s me choose the charging network(s) and most importantly the minimum charging speed.

I love the idea of the Ford trip planner and the very precise top up notifications, but after it took me to a 50kW charger while adding 90miles to my trip I gave up on it.
I haven't used PlugShare yet. Biggest thing for me is the charging speed, same as you.

·
Registered
Currently: 2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mach E AWD ER ; Previously: 2009 Ford Focus.
210 Posts
Yeah, it depends on what kind of trip you are making. Unless you absolutely need fast charging, it is better to slow charge. I'd like to see a lot more level 2 charging out and about at different places. It would make it much easier to stay charged up and ready to go.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I haven't used PlugShare yet. Biggest thing for me is the charging speed, same as you.
Yes, and in the Ford Planner you can choose "Supercharger" but apparently that's everything 50 and above... PlugShare is really good. You can choose Networks, minimum charging speed, and you can save your trips. If you have an iPhone PlugShare even shows up in CarPlay (Probably in android auto too?)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yeah, it depends on what kind of trip you are making. Unless you absolutely need fast charging, it is better to slow charge. I'd like to see a lot more level 2 charging out and about at different places. It would make it much easier to stay charged up and ready to go.
I absolutely agree. For everyday driving I'd much more prefer a L2. As we have one at home, I rarely have the need for that anywhere else. But for a "transfer-trip" from California to Wisconsin, it's nice to be able to recharge at 150kW every time - because that's about 12 recharges...

·
Registered
278 Posts
can plugshare do roundtrip?
I guess. I’ve only used it one way, but you basically chose the chargers on a map one at at time, so once you’ve mapped out the route to the “destination” I assume you could continue to map out the chargers on the way back as well.

I see on our trip, that we’re not necessarily using the same chargers driving back to WI as we did on the way out.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yes, and in the Ford Planner you can choose "Supercharger" but apparently that's everything 50 and above... PlugShare is really good. You can choose Networks, minimum charging speed, and you can save your trips. If you have an iPhone PlugShare even shows up in CarPlay (Probably in android auto too?)
Good to know! I use Android Auto.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was just looking at plugshare, and a better trip planner seems better as you put in start and end and it calculates what chargers you need to stop at and for how long. Looks like I have to manually choose the chargers in Plug share, and plugshare does not seem to show all the chargers, one of the main chargers I use is not listed. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I was just looking at plugshare, and a better trip planner seems better as you put in start and end and it calculates what chargers you need to stop at and for how long. Looks like I have to manually choose the chargers in Plug share, and plugshare does not seem to show all the chargers, one of the main chargers I use is not listed. Am I missing something?
No, that seems about right 👍🏼 Trip planner is way more convenient.

The problem for me has been that it changed my route (and thus added 90miles of driving) and at the same time took me to a 50kW charger. I can’t wait for 50kW chargers when I’m driving 800miles+ on a single day.

If trip planner had a way to choose the charging network and minimum charging speed I’d be all up for it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, that seems about right 👍🏼 Trip planner is way more convenient.

The problem for me has been that it changed my route (and thus added 90miles of driving) and at the same time took me to a 50kW charger. I can’t wait for 50kW chargers when I’m driving 800miles+ on a single day.

If trip planner had a way to choose the charging network and minimum charging speed I’d be all up for it.
it does let you select the minimum charge rate on the chargers

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also wish it took into account topography. I have a trip to Tahoe at the end of the month, sl the last 100 miles or so is all uphill, and the last 30 or so are real steep. My concern is I do not know how bad that plus the bikes on the back will affect my range. I plan to be at 80% SOC when I leave Folsom for that last 80 mile strech....... on flat that would get me at least 220mi. hoping I will be fine...... Might stop in Placerville on a 50kw charger to just top off and be safe

·
Registered
278 Posts
it does let you select the minimum charge rate on the chargers
Cool. Then they’ve updated it. 👏🏼 Previously you could only choose “supercharger” and that apparently was 50kW+

·
Registered
278 Posts
I also wish it took into account topography. I have a trip to Tahoe at the end of the month, sl the last 100 miles or so is all uphill, and the last 30 or so are real steep. My concern is I do not know how bad that plus the bikes on the back will affect my range. I plan to be at 80% SOC when I leave Folsom for that last 80 mile strech....... on flat that would get me at least 220mi. hoping I will be fine...... Might stop in Placerville on a 50kw charger to just top off and be safe
We drove through some really steep passages getting for WI to CA and it really is hard on the mileage but with 200+ for 80miles I would think you’d be ok. But good to have Placerville as a backup option.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We drove through some really steep passages getting for WI to CA and it really is hard on the mileage but with 200+ for 80miles I would think you’d be ok. But good to have Placerville as a backup option.
yeah, I really think I will be fine but this is the first big trip and I will be doing it at night....

·
Registered
14 Posts
How does AAuto work with the MachE?
Does it have a charger station map/waypoint thingy bob?
You have to connect your Android phone to the car via USB cable to use Android Auto and then select Android Auto which turns off Bluetooth. Then all the apps on your phone that are Android Auto enabled are available on your MME screen. These are just general instructions...more details are in the MME Owner's Manual. Android Auto does not have a charger station map/waypoint thingy on its own...you need to have an Android Auto enabled charging map app on your phone. I recently installed A Better Route Planner app on my phone and use it in Android Auto. Another post also suggested that I can share a saved route from ABRP with Google Maps (which is Android Auto enabled) and that trip with charging stations and directions shows up in Google Maps on your MME screen. Haven't tried that yet but if it works it could be beneficial. Hope this helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts