Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021, Premium, AWD, Extended Battery, Carbonized Grey
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my past few cars, I have become accustomed to using a magnetic cell phone mount. I prefer the Natomount:

Natomount

Unfortunately, there is no way to get this thing to fit in the MME. I tried various holders from Amazon but wasn’t happy with any of them. I wanted one that would connect to the back of the large display and have the phone at the level of the display. My first plan was to take a commercial product or 2 and cut and glue different ones together.

I decided to create one but wanted it to use the Natomount magnet. This is what their base looks like without the screw cap and magnet:

A friend suggested 3-D printing a mount. Our public library has a 3D printer and charges very little to use it.

I wanted to invest as little as possible so I used an online CAD app called TinkerCAD. It took a few days to figure out but I eventually came up with a Triangular design that:
  1. Had the same size ball as the Natomount so the magnet would connect, and
  2. Supported the weight of my monster phone.

This is the final CAD version:

This is the 3-D printed version:

The final product was printed first in PLA plastic. This melted into a blob on the first sweltering day. My subsequent designs were then printed with ABS plastic and seem to withstand the heat very well.

The wide base is taped to the back of the display using 3M Permanent Double Sided Extreme Mounting tape just like the Natomount devices do. This can be obtained at HD or Lowes. You will have to purchase a Natomount to get their magnet and screw attachment. A thin piece of metal sticks to the inside of your phone case. Be aware, on many phones the metal sticker will prevent wireless charging (not a concern for me).

The final results:

If people show interest, I will post the .OBJ or .STL files for you to print your own.

If anyone can get me a direct contact to a Ford engineer that can get my car to charge properly, I will print one up for you and mail it to you :)

Jeff

·
Registered
1 Posts
oooo! that a nice print there, are u taking design idea from any sites?, if u are then can u give the name of the site?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I haven't found a need that Android Auto doesn't fulfill so I don't use my phone while driving. And mine charges fine in the built-in charger.

·
Registered
2021, Premium, AWD, Extended Battery, Carbonized Grey
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oooo! that a nice print there, are u taking design idea from any sites?, if u are then can u give the name of the site?
Actually, I designed it myself. This is the 4th or 5th iteration and I really like it. I can pm you the files if you have access to a printer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For my past few cars, I have become accustomed to using a magnetic cell phone mount. I prefer the Natomount:

Natomount

View attachment 5766

Unfortunately, there is no way to get this thing to fit in the MME. I tried various holders from Amazon but wasn’t happy with any of them. I wanted one that would connect to the back of the large display and have the phone at the level of the display. My first plan was to take a commercial product or 2 and cut and glue different ones together.

I decided to create one but wanted it to use the Natomount magnet. This is what their base looks like without the screw cap and magnet:

View attachment 5767

A friend suggested 3-D printing a mount. Our public library has a 3D printer and charges very little to use it.

I wanted to invest as little as possible so I used an online CAD app called TinkerCAD. It took a few days to figure out but I eventually came up with a Triangular design that:
  1. Had the same size ball as the Natomount so the magnet would connect, and
  2. Supported the weight of my monster phone.

This is the final CAD version:

View attachment 5768

This is the 3-D printed version:

View attachment 5769

The final product was printed first in PLA plastic. This melted into a blob on the first sweltering day. My subsequent designs were then printed with ABS plastic and seem to withstand the heat very well.

The wide base is taped to the back of the display using 3M Permanent Double Sided Extreme Mounting tape just like the Natomount devices do. This can be obtained at HD or Lowes. You will have to purchase a Natomount to get their magnet and screw attachment. A thin piece of metal sticks to the inside of your phone case. Be aware, on many phones the metal sticker will prevent wireless charging (not a concern for me).

The final results:

View attachment 5770

View attachment 5771

If people show interest, I will post the .OBJ or .STL files for you to print your own.

If anyone can get me a direct contact to a Ford engineer that can get my car to charge properly, I will print one up for you and mail it to you :)

Jeff
Does anyone have any suggestions on phone holders for MME? Where can I attach. Windscreen is too far away and the wireless charging pad does not work well (gets phone hot and slow charge time) and can not see the screen which I want to access frequently. Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm trying to figure out why I need to see or access my phone while in the car. Android Auto does everything I need, am I missing something? I generally keep my phone in my pocket unless it needs to be charged.

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,580 Posts
I'm trying to figure out why I need to see or access my phone while in the car. Android Auto does everything I need, am I missing something? I generally keep my phone in my pocket unless it needs to be charged.
Choices, some like having access to their phone others see no need. The design by @MachDoc is unique and for those who choose to utilize their phone or simply like it available as a PaaK, mine is inconsistent when in my pocket but always works when on the center console area. I think that it's quite nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts