Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm no fan of excessive regulation or government overreach but I feel like this is an area where some standards would benefit all.

That said, to me the correct placement (and I'm always, 100% correct on all matters ;)) is on the passenger side (works for both left and right hand drive countries). For city dwellers who will eventually get metered curbside charging, the connector sticking out of the driver's side of the vehicle is exposed to oncoming traffic and bike lanes and the cable must be wrapped around the front or back.

I get that the charging port on the driver side allows the driver to get out and not have to walk around the vehicle when plugging in at home but in many cases they have to walk around to get in/out of the house anyway (the case for us).

Of course, the port could be placed on the front/rear center (Leaf) as well but I think the designers want a cleaner look in the front.

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
I'm no fan of excessive regulation or government overreach but I feel like this is an area where some standards would benefit all.

That said, to me the correct placement (and I'm always, 100% correct on all matters ;)) is on the passenger side (works for both left and right hand drive countries). For city dwellers who will eventually get metered curbside charging, the connector sticking out of the driver's side of the vehicle is exposed to oncoming traffic and bike lanes and the cable must be wrapped around the front or back.

I get that the charging port on the driver side allows the driver to get out and not have to walk around the vehicle when plugging in at home but in many cases they have to walk around to get in/out of the house anyway (the case for us).

Of course, the port could be placed on the front/rear center (Leaf) as well but I think the designers want a cleaner look in the front.
Interesting discussion topic.

The left/right argument is subjective to where you live. On a one-way street, half the spots are on the left side/half on the right. Driveways tend to be to the right side of homes where I live, so left-side charging works best. Charging islands between spots are 50/50 split. And depending on your country, left-side parking on two-way streets may be the norm.
Rear-mounted forces people to back into driveways and charging spots. Not that convenient either.

Long story made short: The charging port front-and-center is the easiest and most convenient for almost any situation.

But I think its more a case of convenience than regulations.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting discussion topic.

The left/right argument is subjective to where you live. On a one-way street, half the spots are on the left side/half on the right. Driveways tend to be to the right side of homes where I live, so left-side charging works best. Charging islands between spots are 50/50 split. And depending on your country, left-side parking on two-way streets may be the norm.
Rear-mounted forces people to back into driveways and charging spots. Not that convenient either.

Long story made short: The charging port front-and-center is the easiest and most convenient for almost any situation.

But I think its more a case of convenience than regulations.
On a one way street, the charger cable/plug sticking out onto the street on the passenger side is more visible to the driver on the road.

do agree front/center is ideal.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,240 Posts

I agree that front-center and passenger side win in my book. The front driver-side is not especially convenient.

·
Registered
150 Posts

This is an interesting problem that I had never thought of. I have always imagined charging either in my garage or a public parking lot with fast charger. One solution for this problem would be for MME to have charge ports on both sides like etron and only right side having DC fast charging. I'm not a fan of having the port in front or back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Number of present metered curbside charging plugs = 0
Life-expectancy of future curbside charging plugs before vandalism = 1 month
Amount of time before charging cable is stolen in city curbside charging = 1 week

By putting the connector up higher on the side, unlike lower front or back points, means you won’t have to bend over to plug it in.

The driver’s side location has certainly worked better for me for the last 7 years with my C-Max Energi. But, if the port had been on the other side, I would simply have had the electrician put the 240-volt outlet on that side.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Amount of time before charging cable is stolen in city curbside charging = 1 week
I think you could have bigger problems than the charging connector location. You might want to move out of your city.

It's happening...

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finny thing, the picture in the article has the drivers side toward the curb...
View attachment 3310
...just saying...
Yeah... Volt (Driver's side) and a Leaf (Front Center) in the Photo I think. 50/50 chance of charger sticking onto the street on a 1 way street and no chance on 2 way with a passenger side charging port. 50/50 and 100 for driver side.
Been to Toronto plenty of times. Center of town the streets alternate direction but major thoroughfares are divided (street cars in the center). Also a very forward looking city with lots of bike lanes. Wouldn't want a cyclist clipping the charger sticking out.

It occurs to me though... If cities wanted to hasten the EV adaptation, they might add curbside charging over time and restrict those spots to BEVs or PHEVs only.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah... Volt (Driver's side) and a Leaf (Front Center) in the Photo I think. 50/50 chance of charger sticking onto the street on a 1 way street and no chance on 2 way with a passenger side charging port. 50/50 and 100 for driver side.
Been to Toronto plenty of times. Center of town the streets alternate direction but major thoroughfares are divided (street cars in the center). Also a very forward looking city with lots of bike lanes. Wouldn't want a cyclist clipping the charger sticking out.

It occurs to me though... If cities wanted to hasten the EV adaptation, they might add curbside charging over time and restrict those spots to BEVs or PHEVs only.
I think what would be ideal is for cars and parking areas to have wireless charging, under the car. Solves all kinds of problems.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think what would be ideal is for cars and parking areas to have wireless charging, under the car. Solves all kinds of problems.
Some day.... Given what we're paying for our induction cooktop in the kitchen remodel, I don't think it's going to be for a while.

In the meantime you can bet on a snowplow clipping off charger off a car. It's going to happen.

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts

I was just being a nudge :)

The picture has the charging post too far from the curb, can you imagine the clothesline effect?

I saw another implementation, where the drivers carried their own two-headed cords. The parking meters had special outlets to plug into. The only cables visible would be from charging cars.

For cost reasons, we will most likely only see chargers at destinations in the immediate future. It would be nice to see city planning boards adding things like curbside charging into future master plans.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,240 Posts
Number of present metered curbside charging plugs = 0
Where are you getting this crock? I’ve charged at two curbside DCFC stations and seen 2 more. I know of multiple L2 chargers in urban parking garages and others in open lots with no vandalism.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Having charge port at front-center is going to be a big problem when I park my car in garage, front side in, close to the wall. Passenger side on the other hand is most convenient as I can simply get out and plug the cable in at the end of each day.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Having charge port at front-center is going to be a big problem when I park my car in garage, front side in, close to the wall.
Each situation is unique but if you had to pick a spot that is best for the most, front and center would be it. The main reason for picking a spot isn't home charging as people can put their home charger anywhere but public charging. If all cars have the same charging spot, all the public chargers can be built to maximize usage of the public chargers.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Put it this way... How many of us, given curbside charging, would be comfortable with charging their MMEs with the charging connector and plug sticking out into the street to oncoming traffic? I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
How many of us, given curbside charging, would be comfortable with charging their MMEs with the charging connector and plug sticking out into the street to oncoming traffic? I wouldn't do it.
Most chargers seem to be in pull in parking spots and should be for that reason.

There's really no situation where the front of the car charge port doesn't come out as best overall choice.

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
A solution has to be found for people who do not have an area for home charging. Cable curbside EVSE is just one of them out there.
Wireless is another, which i think will win out over cable curbside charging.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts