Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else find the reviewers passing judgement on whether the Mach E is a "Real Mustang" kind of ridiculous? Mustangs can't be SUVs, have to make good noise, etc...

At present, Only the First Edition and the extended range AWD Premium have been taken for a first drive. No one has had them long enough for a full review. Given this, to make the comparison to an ICE Mustang is a bit premature and not well reasoned.

First... What is a "Real Mustang"? The Mustang like many American Muscle cars, is actually a family of cars. Which to pick for this comparison? The most popular models are the Ecoboost ones (over 50%). If the reference point is a GT500, the majority of Mustangs actually fall in the NOT "Real Mustang" category.

Next year, when the Mach E GT Performance edition keeps up with or beat a GT500, what's the reference/comparison point? I would not at all be surprised if a MME GT Performance is quicker than the stock GT500 while handling as well at tens of thousand dollars less.

So what is a "Real Mustang"? If we go back and capture the Pony car niche 1964.5 Mustang carved out, Maybe the Mach E is closer to the original than the performance models that came later?

IMO Ford has done a good job and not burned the Mustang name on the MME... GM on the other hand burned the Blazer name on a nerfed unibody and the Hummer name on a crazy inaccessible expensive truck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
A Mustang is whatever Ford decides it is. They had a specific intent in mind when they named the Mach E as they did, to convey that this was more than a compliance car. I bought it because it ticked all of the boxes I was looking to tick, the name isn't really a consideration. I am happy that they invested effort in the styling and gave it traditional a RWD proportions.

·
Super Moderator
1,923 Posts
One reviewer, who said she had owned four Mustangs in the past, dinged the MMe on handling because of its CUV characteristics. You could hear the distain in her voice as she declares “its definitely not a Mustang”. She says you called it a Mustang, so thats how she is judging it.

Another reviewer complained it was ‘sloppy’ because the MMe would oversteer on hard turns. Which is exactly what a RWD vehicle would do and enthusiasts would expect.

I prefer the reviews that put the name aside and evaluate the car on its own merits and faults. Those are the ones I feel are trying hardest to be objective. Most fall into this category. They also compare it to other BEVs, and many say its one of the best they have ever driven.

What I have gotten so far is that it has surprised many. It is a competent, well built vehicle. A great CUV that will be fun to drive. That it is a true alternative in its segment, and should be considered when cross-shopping.

Now people need to take the MMe out for a test drive, and each needs to determine if it is a good fit for their individual needs and expectations.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Things to consider: The original Mustang was marketed as a car that could do it all - haul your family around during the week and be a fun cruiser on the weekend. Also, there have been some pretty awful Mustang-branded cars over the decades.

As for sloppy - the best handling cars are always easy to kick into oversteer. It's only bad if oversteer comes on unpredictably. If you can repeatedly kick the back end out with a tap of the throttle, that's absolute heaven.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for sloppy - the best handling cars are always easy to kick into oversteer. It's only bad if oversteer comes on unpredictably. If you can repeatedly kick the back end out with a tap of the throttle, that's absolute heaven.
We now have several generation of kids who grew up with FWD cars.

My litmus test for determining whether someone is a "car guy/gal"... When you are powering through a turn, and the a$$ end swings out, are you the type to freak out or are you the type to yell the Dukes of Hazzard "Yee Haw!!!!"?

I posted this in the favorite review quote thread....

"Power on oversteer baby!"

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
1,306 Posts
We now have several generation of kids who grew up with FWD cars.

My litmus test for determining whether someone is a "car guy/gal"... When you are powering through a turn, and the a$$ end swings out, are you the type to freak out or are you the type to yell the Dukes of Hazzard "Yee Haw!!!!"?

I posted this in the favorite review quote thread....

"Power on oversteer baby!"

Great video, however when it ended I was reminded that I probably won't be on the road with mine until March😭

1 - 6 of 6 Posts