Ford Mustang Mach-E -- News & Community Group, Join ... banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you know you can buy a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter and charge other EVs at AC Tesla stations (non-Supercharger stations)? You can plug the Mach E right up to a Tesla-only station and charge at Level 2 AC charging rates. I think the Mach E can draw a max of 9.6 kW on level 2, can anyone confirm the correct max level 2 figure?

If you're going to do a lot of traveling, it would be helpful to keep one of these Tesla adapters handy if the hotel you're staying at only offers a Tesla plug. I've noticed that many hotels only offer Tesla charging ports, not sure if Tesla paid to help develop that network of chargers at many hotels in the US.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I knew that but that adaptor is like $200
Picture this: you've arrived at the hotel for the evening, kid 1 is crying, kid 2 is asking are we there yet, wife is unhappy, you need to get back to your laptop to answer work emails, everyone is ready to get out of the car and the last thing you want to do is drive back out again to find a plug. The hotel, like many hotels now in the US, has a Tesla plug. That adapter is well worth the $200 in that moment to just plug in at your destination and be done with it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
May be nice for the hotel to keep that adapter handy for all guests
I agree. I bet most hotels just don't know these adapters exist, and the same goes for many EV owners, because these adapters are not available officially from Tesla.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The AC charge rate may be as high as 11.5 kW. Not sure, though, until Ford releases more details. This is just based on the advertised charge rate for their connected wall charger accessory.

To the best of my knowledge, the Tesla/J1772 adapters including JDapter are not UL Listed or Intertek ETL tested. Just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Industry is certainly in the throes of stupidity. Imagine different gas nozzles for different car brands. Imagine 10 different blends of fuel for different vehicles. It will sort itself out but not until there is the proper leadership.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Industry is certainly in the throes of stupidity. Imagine different gas nozzles for different car brands. Imagine 10 different blends of fuel for different vehicles. It will sort itself out but not until there is the proper leadership.
It's not that bad though -- Chademo is almost gone, with few new Chademo stations being added these days. The majority of new plugs installed are either J1772/CCS, or Tesla. And we have adapters to plug J1772 cars into many Tesla plugs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts