Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

Access to subwoofer

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mike.de.best 
#1 ·
Hello,
Can anybody explain how I can access the Subwoofer in the trunk (right side).
Mine produces a crackling sound at a certain bass frequency, and I 'd like to find out what it is.
Something is loose.

Does anybody have picture or a drawing ?

Thank you !

Mike

#2 ·
It's fairly easy to access the sub. I had a similar issue where heavy bass from the sub was causing a nasty rattle.

Once you take out all of the trunk contents (air compressor, charging cord, styrofoam holder, and soft liner), take off the rear plastic panel. There are 4 screws holding it in place (2 are obvious, and 2 are under the metal anchor loops). The panel then pops directly up with a bit of prying force.

After that, you can start prying off the plastic panel to the right (covering the subwoofer). I started from the very rear of the trunk and worked my way forward towards the back seat. I didn't take the panel completely off (although you can), but detached enough of it to access the sub...

There are then 3 bolts that attach the sub housing to the frame of the car. Those bolts simply where not tightened enough and that was causing the rattle under heavy bass. I first torqued the bolts until 90% of the chatter was fixed, but still wasn't happy... So I went to Lowe's and got a rubber gasket matt (about 1 mm thick) from the plumbing repair section, cut out flat gaskets to put some dampening between the sub mounting bolts and the frame, then bolted the sub housing back into place. Fixed!!!

Maybe an hour job, not including the trip to Lowe's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.