Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an avid proponent of leather interiors. Mach-E's lack of leather option bothers me. I have one reserved but wish Ford would add leather as an interior option, thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
there are a few lucky souls in this forum that have had the opportunity to actually sit in a MMe.
For those that have, please comment if the seats give the ‘look and feel’ of learher as touted.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
994 Posts
there are a few lucky souls in this forum that have had the opportunity to actually sit in a MMe.
For those that have, please comment if the seats give the ‘look and feel’ of learher as touted.
Thanks!
Of course, we have to be careful about the look and feel question as most folk's experience may not be with the final seats. The fabric and seat design probably changed between the hand-built prototypes seen through February and the pre-production, assembly line prototypes from the Cuautitlan plant. How much they've changed is uncertain.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Of course, we have to be careful about the look and feel question as most folk's experience may not be with the final seats
Not to mention some of us dislike leather, faux or not. Black (pseudo)leather in the summer absolutely sucks, especially with a glass roof and no option for cooled seats. If it were up to me, there would be a cloth seat option.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not to mention some of us dislike leather, faux or not. Black (pseudo)leather in the summer absolutely sucks, especially with a glass roof and no option for cooled seats. If it were up to me, there would be a cloth seat option.
Interesting. I have black leather in Phoenix and I don't have any issues with it. My friend's Model 3 has something (I don't know if its leather or something fake) in a light color and it is noticeably hot. The windshield on the C-Max is ginormous. I tinted it the windshield, so I guess that helps a lot.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
702 Posts
Just my $.02:

For the past 20 years all my cars have been leather: MDX, Audi, BMW, Porsche and presently my Ford Edge Sport:

I am now on my second E Class Mercedes: both have MB Tex: at first I was aghast: a $70,000 car without leather:

I asked my wife what she thought of the seats without telling her that they were not leather: she felt there were fine, same as our BMW, Audi and other cars.

Now 5 years later I am totally, 100% satisfied with MB Tex: It is neither hot in the summer nor cold in the winter and is wearing better than leather and far easier to clean. I actually prefer it to leather.

Bottom line: Synthetic material has come a long way: let's hope the Mach E faux leather is like the MB Tex: it it is, I think everyone will be satisfied.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I personally think Ford needs to offer more than a single choice of interior material.

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
I personally think Ford needs to offer more than a single choice of interior material.
I believe the minimal option listings are to give a quality product while keeping production costs down.
Ford’s goal with the MMe is to be profitable out of the gate. The more complex the options are, the higher the production costs. Especially with only a 50,000 unit run.

More options may be available once they can scale beyond the six-figure production count.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
702 Posts
With build quality a question; whether cars will be sold at MSRP or lower, without any history of what the car will be worth in a few years - with continued innovation, EV's could rapidly depreciate in value, I too will be leasing:

All of the above, plus others, are the reason I have been leasing since the mid 80's: I have no intention of owning outright the Mach E: if the Mach E proves to be a winner, at the end of the lease I can always buy it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
They advertise it as vegan. So I think its partially marketing. I've talked to people that would refuse to buy the C-Max because it had leather which was against their values.

·
Registered
10 Posts
With build quality a question; whether cars will be sold at MSRP or lower, without any history of what the car will be worth in a few years - with continued innovation, EV's could rapidly depreciate in value, I too will be leasing:

All of the above, plus others, are the reason I have been leasing since the mid 80's: I have no intention of owning outright the Mach E: if the Mach E proves to be a winner, at the end of the lease I can always buy it.
The downside, though, is you will give up the federal tax credit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
They advertise it as vegan. So I think its partially marketing. I've talked to people that would refuse to buy the C-Max because it had leather which was against their values.
The vegan part is all marketing hype. I’m sure it’s strictly a money-saving move. It would be really tough to convince me faux leather has the look, feel and smell of leather. I’ve read numerous posts from tesla owners complaining about their “vegan” leather seats not holding up. And I’ve called tesla about this, and they said they are not covered for wear and tear. What does that tell you? LeTher is a natural product. Cows swear by it. And cows don’t lie.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
994 Posts
The downside, though, is you will give up the federal tax credit.
No, the only leasing in the US is the Ford Options program which is financing with a balloon payment at the end and you get the tax credit. There are plenty of discussions here about how it works.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
755 Posts
I believe the minimal option listings are to give a quality product while keeping production costs down.
Ford’s goal with the MMe is to be profitable out of the gate. The more complex the options are, the higher the production costs. Especially with only a 50,000 unit run.

More options may be available once they can scale beyond the six-figure production count.
I'm still hoping for the Olive Oil Infused Kale Leaf Seats w Cross Stitched Asparagus fiber as a future option :devilish:

·
Registered
236 Posts
The vegan part is all marketing hype. I’m sure it’s strictly a money-saving move.
What I was saying was the ability to advertise a vegan interior was probably a large part of the decision process. I think the overlap between animal activist and environmental activist is not insignificant. I'm sure its cheaper too.
It would be really tough to convince me faux leather has the look, feel and smell of leather.
Now, I'm not saying that ActiveX is, but isn't it possible for a material to be better than leather? As far as smell, I'm not sure about that myself. My C-Max doesn't smell like leather.
I’ve read numerous posts from tesla owners complaining about their “vegan” leather seats not holding up. And I’ve called tesla about this, and they said they are not covered for wear and tear. What does that tell you? LeTher is a natural product. Cows swear by it. And cows don’t lie.
Tesla doesn't use ActiveX -- so I don't know how comparable that is. Looks like they just fully switched to a non-leather material in late 2019. When they say it isn't holding up, I'm assuming your talking about folks who specifically purchased the "Tesla Synthetic Material"? Are they maintaining it? I use a leather conditioner and will continue to do so on the ActiveX.

My personal experience with ActiveX (which admittedly amounts to all of 10 mins doing a test drive loop) was positive.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Just my $.02:

For the past 20 years all my cars have been leather: MDX, Audi, BMW, Porsche and presently my Ford Edge Sport:

I am now on my second E Class Mercedes: both have MB Tex: at first I was aghast: a $70,000 car without leather:

I asked my wife what she thought of the seats without telling her that they were not leather: she felt there were fine, same as our BMW, Audi and other cars.

Now 5 years later I am totally, 100% satisfied with MB Tex: It is neither hot in the summer nor cold in the winter and is wearing better than leather and far easier to clean. I actually prefer it to leather.

Bottom line: Synthetic material has come a long way: let's hope the Mach E faux leather is like the MB Tex: it it is, I think everyone will be satisfied.
I used to be a huge fan of leather seats as well. But after a while I got tired to peeling myself out of my seat as soon as it got hot outside. This "Sensico" fake leather Ford is using seems to be the real deal.

The materials are good, too. Unlike its two-door sibling, which suffers from the implementation of some plasticy materials, there's nothing in the Mach-E’s cabin within reach that feels cheap. Again, Ford compares the interior of the Mach-E to the Jaguar I-Pace, and that's definitely not a stretch. The Mach-E feels like a premium vehicle, even without real leather. The faux stuff, dubbed "Sensico," is soft and high-quality, a noticeable step up from other fake leathers currently available. And it’s not faux because the bean-counters wanted to save money; many EV buyers appreciate a cruelty-free interior.

From Motor1

·
Registered
236 Posts
I used to be a huge fan of leather seats as well. But after a while I got tired to peeling myself out of my seat as soon as it got hot outside. This "Sensico" fake leather Ford is using seems to be the real deal.

The materials are good, too. Unlike its two-door sibling, which suffers from the implementation of some plasticy materials, there's nothing in the Mach-E’s cabin within reach that feels cheap. Again, Ford compares the interior of the Mach-E to the Jaguar I-Pace, and that's definitely not a stretch. The Mach-E feels like a premium vehicle, even without real leather. The faux stuff, dubbed "Sensico," is soft and high-quality, a noticeable step up from other fake leathers currently available. And it’s not faux because the bean-counters wanted to save money; many EV buyers appreciate a cruelty-free interior.

From Motor1
So two things:
1) That article references the 2020 Mach-E I suppose that could be an honest mistake.
2) What the heck is Sensico? I've seen all other Ford's documentation reference Active-X.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts