Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can’t stop anywhere without someone coming up to you and asking about the MME. Just finished a middle of Vermont road trip, actually NH and VT. Hanover-White River Junction. Did my best to stay off of the interstates to enjoy New England country roads. Was late leaving the hotel this morning, but became extra late when the hotel manager chases you out the door to ask about our Stang. Yes I understand this phenomenon is short lived, but enjoying the heck out it while it lasts. Apologies up front for no negative issues to report. I did have to pay a whopping $3.25 to recharge out our hotel. 800 miles in and the handling is superb. I have been in unbridled mode since day two and doubt I will change anytime in the near future. I love our Stang and my wife loves it as well.

·
Premium Member
2021 Mustang Mach-E Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,376 Posts
You can’t stop anywhere without someone coming up to you and asking about the MME. Just finished a middle of Vermont road trip, actually NH and VT. Hanover-White River Junction. Did my best to stay off of the interstates to enjoy New England country roads. Was late leaving the hotel this morning, but became extra late when the hotel manager chases you out the door to ask about our Stang. Yes I understand this phenomenon is short lived, but enjoying the heck out it while it lasts. Apologies up front for no negative issues to report. I did have to pay a whopping $3.25 to recharge out our hotel. 800 miles in and the handling is superb. I have been in unbridled mode since day two and doubt I will change anytime in the near future. I love our Stang and my wife loves it as well.
Enjoy every minute, I was "mobbed" at the Ford Coast to Coast and at 'Cars and Coffee' Saturdays.

·
Registered
Select Star White AWD
24 Posts
Definitely enjoying the attention! I received mine 5/11. Figured the novelty would have worn off by now but mine is still the only one in the area so far. This week I have caught 1 person taking a picture at a stop light, another roll beside me to take a video and saw another customer at the restaurant last night walk out to take a picture. Cannot wait to see another one, my only complaint is I cannot see myself driving around LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was driving 75 down the Ohio Turnpike and a guy pulled next to me, gave me a thumbs up and filmed me with his phone. I've had the car 2 weeks and still haven't seen another. I have not gotten any funny looks from Tesla owners surprisingly. I feel like we have a sports rivalry with them.

·
Registered
Select Star White AWD
24 Posts
Sooooo, an update for today: I got flipped off while driving today and not because of how I was driving. I am so in love I forgot we are going to have to deal with the haters too.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sooooo, an update for today: I got flipped off while driving today and not because of how I was driving. I am so in love I forgot we are going to have to deal with the haters too.
HAHA. I had a lift diesel truck flip me and my wife off as I was driving home the Mach-E for the first time. Idiots will be idiots.

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
I pity people who don't understand what little it takes to be positive and to treat others with respect. Happy Independence Day Weekend 🧨💥

·
Registered
15 Posts
We were eating dinner at a local restaurant with another couple and we noticed the two waiters were leaning over the table next to ours looking out the window. They were looking at the Mustang, LOL! We get stopped wherever we are and asked about it. I was kind of surprised because I didn't think it was that different looking from a lot of other crossover SUVs but it really does get noticed.

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
I bought my Mach E on Saturday and Monday went to costco only to find a note on my windshield along if I was interested in participating in a YouTube channel about electric cars. The guy who owned the site wanted to interview me about my car.
Post the results when they occur.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've had several times when somebody has stopped to talk to me or was staring at the car. In PT a week ago I parked right outside of the waiting room and this women kept turning around looking at my car and finally said to no one in particular "what kind of car is that?" Another time I was at our group mailbox getting my mail and this truck loaded with roofing tiles stops in the middle of the street and the driver gets out and walks over to the car and says "is this the new Mustang?" and I said yes and we had a conversation. Yet another time I came out of the hardware store to my parked car and there was a man standing there looking at it and we proceeded to have a 30 minute talk about it. I've had people give me a "thumbs up" and otherwise positive feedback. No Mach E haters or derogatory remarks from Tesla fan boys or classic Mustang haters - yet. I've also had two of my neighbors come over when I was working on "Illinipony" and discuss my car and electric cars in general. I give them my own biased and standardized answer that it is a great car for a daily driver around home and short trips but that I don't think electric cars are ready for "prime time" in adoption by the majority of drivers due to initial cost of the car and the lack of adequate fast DC chargers when taking the car on trips. I do mention the fact that more and more charging stations are added every day. But on long trips (my wife insists that) we take our ICE Acura MDX and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The Mach E has a range of around 210 miles with few chargers available whereas the Acura has a range of around 470 miles per fill up with our choice of any gas station along the way. Below are pics of my Acura MDX and my new Mach E (the second pic is at delivery). The Acura is Graphite Lustre Metallic and you can see the difference in color of the two cars. The Infinite Blue Metallic really looks different in changing light (first is under fluorescent light and second sunlight).

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've had several times when somebody has stopped to talk to me or was staring at the car. In PT a week ago I parked right outside of the waiting room and this women kept turning around looking at my car and finally said to no one in particular "what kind of car is that?" Another time I was at our group mailbox getting my mail and this truck loaded with roofing tiles stops in the middle of the street and the driver gets out and walks over to the car and says "is this the new Mustang?" and I said yes and we had a conversation. Yet another time I came out of the hardware store to my parked car and there was a man standing there looking at it and we proceeded to have a 30 minute talk about it. I've had people give me a "thumbs up" and otherwise positive feedback. No Mach E haters or derogatory remarks from Tesla fan boys or classic Mustang haters - yet. I've also had two of my neighbors come over when I was working on "Illinipony" and discuss my car and electric cars in general. I give them my own biased and standardized answer that it is a great car for a daily driver around home and short trips but that I don't think electric cars are ready for "prime time" in adoption by the majority of drivers due to initial cost of the car and the lack of adequate fast DC chargers when taking the car on trips. I do mention the fact that more and more charging stations are added every day. But on long trips (my wife insists that) we take our ICE Acura MDX and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The Mach E has a range of around 210 miles with few chargers available whereas the Acura has a range of around 470 miles per fill up with our choice of any gas station along the way. Below are pics of my Acura MDX and my new Mach E (the second pic is at delivery). The Acura is Graphite Lustre Metallic and you can see the difference in color of the two cars. The Infinite Blue Metallic really looks different in changing light (first is under fluorescent light and second sunlight).
View attachment 5956 View attachment 5955
Long trips can be done with any EV. It does take good planning and knowledge of where charge stations are located so not as easy as jumping in an ICE vehicle and just taking off when one desires. In fact right now there is a person going from CA. to NY on a Harley Davidson Livewire EV motorcycle. Another person did Atlanta to LA on a Livewire last year. 3500 miles on a bike with 100 mile range at highway speeds.So, much easier on a 4 wheel EV. Granted there are dead spots for DCFC in the upper midwest states and Upper Atlantic states These states should be filled in in the near future.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,943 Posts
Long trips can be done with any EV. It does take good planning and knowledge of where charge stations are located so not as easy as jumping in an ICE vehicle and just taking off when one desires. In fact right now there is a person going from CA. to NY on a Harley Davidson Livewire EV motorcycle. Another person did Atlanta to LA on a Livewire last year. 3500 miles on a bike with 100 mile range at highway speeds.So, much easier on a 4 wheel EV. Granted there are dead spots for DCFC in the upper midwest states and Upper Atlantic states These states should be filled in in the near future.
But until they are (filled in in the near future) it is not practical to make trips in the north east and upper mid west - and anywhere else where there is not a robust supercharger infrastructure in place.

Of course you make the trip with a great deal of planning: Hell during the gas embargo of 1973 I went skiing carrying a 5 gallon container of gas in my trunk - but would I do that now? Of course not. Nor do I want to spend hours planning a trip around supercharging station and diverting my trip (adding extra miles and time) to make sure I reach one before the EV goes dead.

IlliniBird is brutally honest when he posted:

"I don't think electric cars are ready for "prime time" in adoption by the majority of drivers due to initial cost of the car and the lack of adequate fast DC chargers when taking the car on trips."

Interesting when I posted something very similar several months ago, I said that until there is a robust charger infrastructure in place the MME is not ready for "Prime Time" many jumped all over me.

I second IlliniBird:

"it is a great car for a daily driver around home and short trips"​

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Long trips can be done with any EV. It does take good planning and knowledge of where charge stations are located ...
Of course you're right and I realize that (I DO use a Better Route Planner for trips in the Mach E). However, my wife does not want to travel long distances planning out charging stations and the charging time it will take as compared to a gas fill up whenever and wherever needed. When I bought the car it was with the understanding that our Acura MDX will be our long distance car (I promised her that as a condition for me purchasing our Mach E) while the Mustang will be our daily driver and short trip car. We have lowered our carbon footprint significantly in going all electric for most of our driving. At age 72 I think we can choose our mode of travel and for the vast majority of that time it will now be in a BEV car. Longer trips will be in our Acura MDX (which also holds more and has a rooftop cargo carrier). All I ask is to respect our decision as I respect your decision of how you choose to travel.

·
Registered
126 Posts
But until they are (filled in in the near future) it is not practical to make trips in the north east and upper mid west - and anywhere else where there is not a robust supercharger infrastructure in place.

Of course you make the trip with a great deal of planning: Hell during the gas embargo of 1973 I went skiing carrying a 5 gallon container of gas in my trunk - but would I do that now? Of course not. Nor do I want to spend hours planning a trip around supercharging station and diverting my trip (adding extra miles and time) to make sure I reach one before the EV goes dead.

IlliniBird is brutally honest when he posted:

"I don't think electric cars are ready for "prime time" in adoption by the majority of drivers due to initial cost of the car and the lack of adequate fast DC chargers when taking the car on trips."

Interesting when I posted something very similar several months ago, I said that until there is a robust charger infrastructure in place the MME is not ready for "Prime Time" many jumped all over me.

I second IlliniBird:

"it is a great car for a daily driver around home and short trips"​

Just my $.02.
JTK44 - Thank you. It was certainly not my intention to start a dispute on the board. We need to respect other people's choices even if we don't agree with them. I stand by my statement of electric cars not being ready for prime time but I know in the not too distant future they will be with more DC charging stations and newer and better battery technology.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,943 Posts
JTK44 - Thank you. It was certainly not my intention to start a dispute on the board. We need to respect other people's choices even if we don't agree with them. I stand by my statement of electric cars not being ready for prime time but I know in the not too distant future they will be with more DC charging stations and newer and better battery technology.
I could not agree more.

At the present time an EV, including the MME, would only work for my wife. However, she will not give up her SUV which is a Ford Edge Sport. (Her longest drive is 140 miles round trip and she puts only 6,500 miles a year on her car)

50% of my driving is to Vermont for skiing and presently no EV, including the Tesla, can make that trip without several stops and in the winter range depletes rapidly.

I am a bit older than you and truly want to go green. But I still have to be practical.

Hopefully in the next few years, while I am still able to ski, range will have increased, charging times decreased and the number of supercharging stations increased exponentially!

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
"Long trips can be done with any EV. It does take good planning and knowledge of where charge stations are located so not as easy as jumping in an ICE vehicle and just taking off when one desires".
This is an accurate statement of the current infrastructure as it pertains to DCFC locations. However, when I was planning my Las Vegas to Ridgefield Connecticut trip which unfortunately I had to postpone/cancel, I mapped DCFCs just on the EA network and there was absolutely no gaps or detours along the entire I-15/I-70/I-80/I-84 2600 mile route.
I went on the EA map and copied locations on the Interstates, granted I chose to make a list prior to leaving vs. relying on the onboard computer but that was my OCD kicking in. Keep in mind that I didn't factor in hotel stays or any other fast charging networks and there was no problem travelling from the South West to the North East. Years ago I always had my trusty AAA TripTix and Tour Books so on my X-Country's over the decades I've always enjoyed the planning.
Once again I'll state BEVs are not for everyone.
I can't disagree with either @JTK44 or @IlliniBird simply because everyone has different needs so therefore, there are many, many sides to the EV issue, so I can only say what is applicable to my needs.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Once again I'll state BEVs are not for everyone.
I can't disagree with either @JTK44 or @IlliniBird simply because everyone has different needs so therefore, there are many, many sides to the EV issue, so I can only say what is applicable to my needs.
Absolutely agree. And BEVs can be for those of us who want to use them primarily for daily drives and short trips.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts