Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am a bit older than you and truly want to go green. But I still have to be practical.
Hopefully in the next few years, while I am still able to ski, range will have increased, charging times decreased and the number of supercharging stations increased exponentially!
You're a better man than me Charlie Brown! ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
But until they are (filled in in the near future) it is not practical to make trips in the north east and upper mid west - and anywhere else where there is not a robust supercharger infrastructure in place.

Of course you make the trip with a great deal of planning: Hell during the gas embargo of 1973 I went skiing carrying a 5 gallon container of gas in my trunk - but would I do that now? Of course not. Nor do I want to spend hours planning a trip around supercharging station and diverting my trip (adding extra miles and time) to make sure I reach one before the EV goes dead.

IlliniBird is brutally honest when he posted:

"I don't think electric cars are ready for "prime time" in adoption by the majority of drivers due to initial cost of the car and the lack of adequate fast DC chargers when taking the car on trips."

Interesting when I posted something very similar several months ago, I said that until there is a robust charger infrastructure in place the MME is not ready for "Prime Time" many jumped all over me.

I second IlliniBird:

"it is a great car for a daily driver around home and short trips"​

Just my $.02.
I agree with you, its not for everyone. For me its great because I have an infant and we need to stop every 2 hours anyways for him to stretch his legs, so I just charge during that time. But I just talked with a younger friend of mine, he just did 4,000 miles last month on a USA road trip. He only had 'x' amount of time to fillup so an EV wouldn't be a good option for him. He is interested in the Lightning though since its supposed to have roughly 460 miles of range, empty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can’t stop anywhere without someone coming up to you and asking about the MME. Just finished a middle of Vermont road trip, actually NH and VT. Hanover-White River Junction. Did my best to stay off of the interstates to enjoy New England country roads. Was late leaving the hotel this morning, but became extra late when the hotel manager chases you out the door to ask about our Stang. Yes I understand this phenomenon is short lived, but enjoying the heck out it while it lasts. Apologies up front for no negative issues to report. I did have to pay a whopping $3.25 to recharge out our hotel. 800 miles in and the handling is superb. I have been in unbridled mode since day two and doubt I will change anytime in the near future. I love our Stang and my wife loves it as well.
I joined the Space Coast Mustang Club and took part in a 4th of July parade. Everyone loved seeing the MME in person. Tons of complements 👍

·
Premium Member
2021 Mustang Mach-E Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,376 Posts
In addition to "Add Extra Time On Road Trips" add extra time when you have work done at the house.
My AirCon went "belly up" yesterday in 110 degree heat and when the HVAC repair tech came today he spent as much time "Oo-ing and Ah-ing" when he saw the MMe in the garage as it took for the repair. I live in a townhouse community with common drive ways to the units and if I have my garage door open repair and delivery drivers will stop to ask about the MMe. In several cases when I tell them that it's a Mustang they're shocked, "wow I've never seen one of these before" is often the response.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In addition to "Add Extra Time On Road Trips" add extra time when you have work done at the house.
My AirCon went "belly up" yesterday in 110 degree heat and when the HVAC repair tech came today he spent as much time "Oo-ing and Ah-ing" when he saw the MMe in the garage as it took for the repair. I live in a townhouse community with common drive ways to the units and if I have my garage door open repair and delivery drivers will stop to ask about the MMe. In several cases when I tell them that it's a Mustang they're shocked, "wow I've never seen one of these before" is often the response.
So funny - I had 2 plumbers at my house yesterday and they did the exact same thing 😃. I took them for a little ride and they had that EV grin when I punched the accelerator. Got a discount on the work 👍

·
Premium Member
2021 Mustang Mach-E Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,376 Posts
So funny - I had 2 plumbers at my house yesterday and they did the exact same thing 😃. I took them for a little ride and they had that EV grin when I punched the accelerator. Got a discount on the work 👍
I believe that there is a lot of "untapped" interest out there. If I were a manufacturer, I would sponsor EV drive days. When I owned a Caddy CTS V, GM sponsored a "track day" at the local speedway where we went to drive their "V" on courses, drag strip, skid pan and cone avoidance. The day was heavily discounted by GM $556 (same as the V's HP) included lunch, a Caddy Racing jacket, Bose ear buds and a photo of you in the track suit and helmet.
Something similar say for the MMe GT would be a blast and give me the incentive to "upgrade' from the Premium to a GT.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can’t stop anywhere without someone coming up to you and asking about the MME. Just finished a middle of Vermont road trip, actually NH and VT. Hanover-White River Junction. Did my best to stay off of the interstates to enjoy New England country roads. Was late leaving the hotel this morning, but became extra late when the hotel manager chases you out the door to ask about our Stang. Yes I understand this phenomenon is short lived, but enjoying the heck out it while it lasts. Apologies up front for no negative issues to report. I did have to pay a whopping $3.25 to recharge out our hotel. 800 miles in and the handling is superb. I have been in unbridled mode since day two and doubt I will change anytime in the near future. I love our Stang and my wife loves it as well.
Enjoy! I have yet see one on the road in New Hampshire. My E, same as yours, Space White, AWD Extended, just arrived at the dealer in Concord NH. Haven't been in to see it yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I seem to be the only person on this forum that can't stand unbridled. I hate the instant braking from the regen when you let off the gas.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I seem to be the only person on this forum that can't stand unbridled. I hate the instant braking from the regen when you let off the gas.
If you are in unbridled, and you disable one pedal on the drive mode page, you still get regen braking, but at a gentler and smoother level.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm going to a dead zone in Northern Wisconsin (Ashland) end of month. I am taking my ICE van but if I wanted to I could do it in the MME according to ABRP. Fill up to 100% at home, stop in Tomah about 225 miles away, fill up to 80% and drive the rest of the way. A Ford dealer there has a level 2, my car is not needed for the 3 days there. I can leave the Mach E charging there during business hours to get me back to EA in Tomah on the way home.

I think EA,Tesla, and others will fill these dead zones up in the next couple years.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
One needs to do a holistic measure of the "inconvenience" for their use case.

Rough but "in the right church" estimates for our use case...

In the ~4 months we've owned the MME (approaching 5K miles driven)
  • Amount of time spent to/from gas stations, filling up: ~0 minutes.
  • Amount of time spent plugging in and unplugging: Less than 5 minutes.
  • Amount of time spent charging on road trips: ~45 minutes.
  • Amount of time on road trips we would have stopped in an ICE car (~15 min)
  • ~35 minutes total (~2.4 seconds of inconvenience per mile driven)
In the same ~4 months for our other, ICE car (~2.5K miles driven)
  • Amount of time spent to/from gas stations, filling up: ~60 minutes (I fill up at a station close to home. Checking the eMail receipts, 6 fillups @ ~10min total each)
  • ~60 minutes total (~7 seconds of inconvenience per mile driven)
YMMV for your specific use case.

We've not taken a road trip in our other car. The MME has been in heavy rotation for local/regional travel.
Who knows what will happen once work/travel returns to whatever the new normal will be.

For our ~1/2 dozen or so Winter trips to VT, there is presently no electric car that I would comfortably take. I need at least 300 mile Winter range (in sub zero temps) with reliable destination charging. Oddly enough... I would take the MME on a longer trip to Florida.

·
Super Moderator
2,918 Posts
One needs to do a holistic measure of the "inconvenience" for their use case.

Rough but "in the right church" estimates for our use case...

In the ~4 months we've owned the MME (approaching 5K miles driven)
  • Amount of time spent to/from gas stations, filling up: ~0 minutes.
  • Amount of time spent plugging in and unplugging: Less than 5 minutes.
  • Amount of time spent charging on road trips: ~45 minutes.
  • Amount of time on road trips we would have stopped in an ICE car (~15 min)
  • ~35 minutes total (~2.4 seconds of inconvenience per mile driven)
In the same ~4 months for our other, ICE car (~2.5K miles driven)
  • Amount of time spent to/from gas stations, filling up: ~60 minutes (I fill up at a station close to home. Checking the eMail receipts, 6 fillups @ ~10min total each)
  • ~60 minutes total (~7 seconds of inconvenience per mile driven)
YMMV for your specific use case.

We've not taken a road trip in our other car. The MME has been in heavy rotation for local/regional travel.
Who knows what will happen once work/travel returns to whatever the new normal will be.

For our ~1/2 dozen or so Winter trips to VT, there is presently no electric car that I would comfortably take. I need at least 300 mile Winter range (in sub zero temps) with reliable destination charging. Oddly enough... I would take the MME on a longer trip to Florida.
Doing NY to FL in the Spring. Can’t wait.

In my 4200 miles travelled, I’ve used dcfc 3 times-15min each. And all three times were just for the experience, not because we needed to stop. We wanted to make sure there weren’t any ‘issues’.

We have only used home or free destination charging otherwise, which is just plugging in a cable and walking away.

I guess we go to the same ‘church’!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you are in unbridled, and you disable one pedal on the drive mode page, you still get regen braking, but at a gentler and smoother level.
I have not used one pedal drive mode at all. Compared to the other drive modes, unbridled is shockingly rough when letting off the gas. It just doesn't feel right to decelerate so rapidly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
"Long trips can be done with any EV. It does take good planning and knowledge of where charge stations are located so not as easy as jumping in an ICE vehicle and just taking off when one desires".
This is an accurate statement of the current infrastructure as it pertains to DCFC locations. However, when I was planning my Las Vegas to Ridgefield Connecticut trip which unfortunately I had to postpone/cancel, I mapped DCFCs just on the EA network and there was absolutely no gaps or detours along the entire I-15/I-70/I-80/I-84 2600 mile route.
I went on the EA map and copied locations on the Interstates, granted I chose to make a list prior to leaving vs. relying on the onboard computer but that was my OCD kicking in. Keep in mind that I didn't factor in hotel stays or any other fast charging networks and there was no problem travelling from the South West to the North East. Years ago I always had my trusty AAA TripTix and Tour Books so on my X-Country's over the decades I've always enjoyed the planning.
Once again I'll state BEVs are not for everyone.
I can't disagree with either @JTK44 or @IlliniBird simply because everyone has different needs so therefore, there are many, many sides to the EV issue, so I can only say what is applicable to my needs.
I don't want to start/ continue any controversy but I am interested in others' experience with traveling in EVs. I live in Mississippi and go to Austin, TX occasionally to visit family and friends. When I look at the PlugShare app, there are tons of chargers on the route, many of which are at road-side hotels/ motels. Is it acceptable to use a charger if not staying? (I ordered a rapid red Premium XR AWD and haven't gotten a build date yet.) I understand there is extra planning/ time/ hassle but I think it would be fun to try.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have not used one pedal drive mode at all. Compared to the other drive modes, unbridled is shockingly rough when letting off the gas. It just doesn't feel right to decelerate so rapidly.
That's why Unbridled with One Pedal turned off might be better for you. The deceleration is much gentler. And that automatic gentle deceleration compensates some for the natural human reaction delay if you have to suddenly brake for a hazard. Like you, I was not fond of full one pedal but I'm now addicted to the gentler regen of the 'Unbridled with one pedal off mode'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't want to start/ continue any controversy but I am interested in others' experience with traveling in EVs. I live in Mississippi and go to Austin, TX occasionally to visit family and friends. When I look at the PlugShare app, there are tons of chargers on the route, many of which are at road-side hotels/ motels. Is it acceptable to use a charger if not staying? (I ordered a rapid red Premium XR AWD and haven't gotten a build date yet.) I understand there is extra planning/ time/ hassle but I think it would be fun to try.
Looking at the forum a little deeper, I see those chargers on PlugShare are likely too slow to be a stop. Still interested in others' experiences with road trips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Long trips can be done with any EV. It does take good planning and knowledge of where charge stations are located so not as easy as jumping in an ICE vehicle and just taking off when one desires. In fact right now there is a person going from CA. to NY on a Harley Davidson Livewire EV motorcycle. Another person did Atlanta to LA on a Livewire last year. 3500 miles on a bike with 100 mile range at highway speeds.So, much easier on a 4 wheel EV. Granted there are dead spots for DCFC in the upper midwest states and Upper Atlantic states These states should be filled in in the near future.
Look for an rv park, plenty of charging stations.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Looking at the forum a little deeper, I see those chargers on PlugShare are likely too slow to be a stop. Still interested in others' experiences with road trips.
I think you're looking at two different types of public chargers, At least locally, the hotels here have destination chargers which are slow chargers in comparison, what you need on a road trip are "d/c fast chargers". I actually haven't even set up an EA account because the nearest EA station is 40 miles away, while I have several charge point stations just a few miles from home. I actually used one the other day and was amazed at how fast it added miles to my battery . I added 8kwh in just 7 min for a cost of $1.99.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts