Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I thought you would be interested in this story I found on MSN: Tesla Model S, Model X touchscreen failure one step closer to NHTSA recall Tesla Model S, Model X touchscreen failure one step closer to NHTSA recall

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
And keep in mind that these are the "Big Bucks" editions
A second and somewhat easier to read version of the above
I thought you would be interested in this story I found on MSN: US officials are ramping up their investigation into faulty Tesla Model S and Model X touchscreens US officials are ramping up their investigation into faulty Tesla Model S and Model X touchscreens

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Let me start by saying this is just a discussion about the thread topic. I say this because I’m sure a Tesla fan or two will say “well, what about Ford’s recalls” There are other threads for Ford’s recalls. This is about Tesla’s.

Tesla has been kicking this can down the road for a long time. If this becomes a recall, they will have to reimburse every Model S/X owner that paid out-of-pocket for repairs.

There are also suspension issues on Model S and X that owners are trying to get traction on. This will probably end up being a recall as well.

ouside of the Model Y glass issues resulting from mis-aligned panels. I don’t remember anything else from the Model 3/Y series that would end up a recall. Do you?

Quality control, Tesla’s biggest nemesis.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me start by saying this is just a discussion about the thread topic. I say this because I’m sure a Tesla fan or two will say “well, what about Ford’s recalls” There are other threads for Ford’s recalls. This is about Tesla’s.

Tesla has been kicking this can down the road for a long time. If this becomes a recall, they will have to reimburse every Model S/X owner that paid out-of-pocket for repairs.

There are also suspension issues on Model S and X that owners are trying to get traction on. This will probably end up being a recall as well.

ouside of the Model Y glass issues resulting from mis-aligned panels. I don’t remember anything else from the Model 3/Y series that would end up a recall. Do you?

Quality control, Tesla’s biggest nemesis.
Not yet and I hope that it doesn't occur since I have family and friends that are Tesla owners. Musk is no dummy so while I can't understand why these things persist it hasn't kept them from making it to the S&P listing or making their shareholders a ton of money. Go figure?

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Not yet and I hope that it doesn't occur since I have family and friends that are Tesla owners. Musk is no dummy so while I can't understand why these things persist it hasn't kept them from making it to the S&P listing or making their shareholders a ton of money. Go figure?
My fear is that something drastic will happen to sour people against Tesla. I’m talking on the scale of diesel-gate. Since they are synonymous with BEV, it would be a major blow for the evolution of transport here in the US.

its one of the reasons why I am wary of Elon’s pushing forward of FSD without regard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Although the post is fair and could be a recall on touch screens since Ford just recalled 375,000 explorers that “may crash” a touch screen is pretty minor ..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Every car company has recalls ..my $60,000 F150 had 2 recalls in the first year alone ..somehow when it involves Tesla it becomes about quality and finish why isn’t it when Ford or anyone else does it? I’m excited for the Mach E but it won’t be perfect there will be range issues there will be challenges

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Although the post is fair and could be a recall on touch screens since Ford just recalled 375,000 explorers that “may crash” a touch screen is pretty minor ..
This isn't meant to be an US v Them post it was meant as an opportunity to discuss as @MachDrive posted as a why does Tesla continue to ignore quality issues

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
@EVcourtice - This is not a matter of “well his issue is worse than mine”. There are threads on Ford’s, and other companies, recalls. We can discuss those there.

Its more than just a touch-screen. Read the article as to why its of concern. Almost everything goes through the screen in a Tesla. Its a much bigger issue than if a nav screen fails.

In the 3/Y line, this would be even more problematic. It would brick the vehicles.

To say everyone is unfair to Tesla is false. Despite their issues, they are given a lot of leeway for a 17 year-old company. If GM were to have half the quality issues seen on Telsas fit/finish, they would be obliterated. So the industry is biased not against Tesla, but all other manufacturers.

“No one likes to hear when someone tells them they are singing off-key.”

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don’t know if they do ignore quality issues if you look at customer satisfaction or brand surveys Tesla is always at the top..so the people who own them are obviously happy with them more then any other brand ..most companies that ignore quality issues generally dont finish first in customer satisfaction...I know wasn’t meant as an US v them post I would just counter and say clearly the vast majority of people are clearly happy with the quality of the car they purchased

·
Registered
18 Posts
@EVcourtice - This is not a matter of “well his issue is worse than mine”. There are threads on Ford’s, and other companies, recalls. We can discuss those there.

Its more than just a touch-screen. Read the article as to why its of concern. Almost everything goes through the screen in a Tesla. Its a much bigger issue than if a nav screen fails.

In the 3/Y line, this would be even more problematic. It would brick the vehicles.

To say everyone is unfair to Tesla is false. Despite their issues, they are given a lot of leeway for a 17 year-old company. If GM were to have half the quality issues seen on Telsas fit/finish, they would be obliterated. So the industry is biased not against Tesla, but all other manufacturers.

“No one likes to hear when someone tells them they are singing off-key.”

·
Registered
18 Posts
But who is exactly complaining about the fit and finish other then the non Tesla owners, because if you look at the satisfaction surveys they are far higher then any other brand (yes a couple loud people will chime in and complain about fit and finish but do the research according to owners they have the highest customer satisfaction in the industry) ..I guess my problem is everyone saying fit and finish when every car company has problems ..and again the people who actually own the Tesla’s are far happier with there purchase then any other brand

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But who is exactly complaining about the fit and finish other then the non Tesla owners, because if you look at the satisfaction surveys they are far higher then any other brand (yes a couple loud people will chime in and complain about fit and finish but do the research according to owners they have the highest customer satisfaction in the industry) ..I guess my problem is everyone saying fit and finish when every car company has problems ..and again the people who actually own the Tesla’s are far happier with there purchase then any other brand
But who is exactly complaining about the fit and finish? The US NHTSA perhaps, we shall see.

·
Registered
Grabber Blue FE
107 Posts
True this. Despite the issues, Tesla owners sure love their cars.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
True this. Despite the issues, Tesla owners sure love their cars.
How very true, I asked a former colleague whose wife (a Deputy District Atty) owns a Mod 3 how they liked the car (they've had it several years) and his response was "we love it although the paint job on a car at this price is lacking and there's a lot of cabin noise". My son in law has a Mod 3 and can't say enough about how wonderful it is and how great it is that Tesla sends someone to your house for warranty work.
I'm happy for them and I never 'argue' the pros and cons since I have no money invested. I'm thrilled that Tesla has put the issue of EV into the mainstream where others failed. I just hope like @MachDrive commented on, Elon doesn't 'screw the pooch' for the rest of the industry. My words not his.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a passing thought, perhaps part of the 'Love of Tesla' is and has been based on the fact that until now there hasn't been much to compare it to. So as other competitive EVs hit the road it will be interesting to see if the brand loyalty holds.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
872 Posts
Just a passing thought, perhaps part of the 'Love of Tesla' is and has been based on the fact that until now there hasn't been much to compare it to. So as other competitive EVs hit the road it will be interesting to see if the brand loyalty holds.
Just my $.02:

The fact is that for most people an EV is not a consideration. Those who think of an EV are doing so, again my opinion, not to save money but to go "green". This takes a certain level of commitment to the environment, because in the short run an EV is more expensive than an ICE.

You have to have extra disposable income to go green and go EV and up to now that meant Tesla. A very high percentage of Tesla's are sold in California, the rest on the west coast and the North East. In a similar vein a high proportion of MME have like Tesla been reserved in California, the west coast and the northeast.

Until EV achieve parity in selling price ICE will still command most sales. The fact that over the next 7 years an EV may be cheaper to own than a Honda Accord, does not matter if the monthly payments are several hundred dollars more.

I have a good friend who owns an Audi, Jaguar and Range Rover dealerships. Both Jaguar and Audi have EV's. People shop both and then buy the Tesla. According to him, Tesla is the EV market today.

His opinion not mine, until other manufacturers exceed not match Tesla, in range, performance and price Tesla will continue to dominate the EV market.

In posts many, many months ago I was hoping that the MME would "leap frog" Tesla: have a longer range, be better built and be cheaper - have a lease where Tesla offered non on the Model Y.

Instead the MME is better looking and probably has better quality control. But it does not say to a potential buyer of a Tesla "if you buy a Tesla you are making a mistake!". Despite billions spent by Ford, the Model Y, on paper outperforms, has a longer range and is technological superior to the MME.

Remember when Tesla came out most other EV's were glorified "golf carts". The Model S was light years ahead of everything else. Now 17 years later, others are coming to the party, but all too frequently dancing dances that were popular several years ago.

To break into a market dominated by one company, the new company must either:

• Provide the same or similar product at a substantially lower price; or
  • Provide a significantly better product at the same price
Until that happens people will continue to buy a Tesla and sing its praises:

Again nothing more than my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Not all customers are satisfied, and the articles this thread is about demonstrate that.

Some numbers to chew on: In the USA, BEVs account for less than 0.4% (1m out of 285m) of all registered vehicles. Tesla is a portion of that. In the world, Tesla vehicles account for less than 0.1%. The audience of Tesla consumers is small in comparison to the overall market.

While Tesla owners have already settled and accepted the quality issues, saying the pluses outweigh the minuses, the vast majority of people expect more for their money. An owner would rather have a recall, than deal with a company’s denial and pushback.

So if they want to win over some more non-tesla owners (the other 99.9% of people) wouldn’t improving initial quality help do that?

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would love to see Tesla make it as permanent fixture in the automotive arena. Their range for the cost is still the tip of the spear, performance of the Y and 3 also quite good for the price point. As to technology I believe the gap has narrowed and will continue to narrow and perhaps be surpassed, only time will tell. The current state of BEVs is in it's infancy and it's spawned more start up companies not seen since the turn of the 20th century. It's still my belief that as more direct competition emerges the initial shine of owning a Tesla without upgrading styling and their so called minimalist interiors for 40 to 50+ thousand dollars will wear thin. I have learned however not to underestimate Mr. Musk.

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Tesla is not going anywhere, they are much more than their automobiles.

I get that Tesla likes to play in the lab and come up with some innovative ideas. But its like a father that keeps having a bunch of cute babies, and not really caring for them. You have got to nurture and guide them until they are adults and can stand on their own. He’s got the poor things showing up for school unwashed, shirts backwards, needing haircuts and boogers running from their noses...

Okay, maybe this analogy is a bit on the ridiculous side. But it visualizes my point, no?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts