Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tesla is not going anywhere, they are much more than their automobiles.

I get that Tesla likes to play in the lab and come up with some innovative ideas. But its like a father that keeps having a bunch of cute babies, and not really caring for them. You have got to nurture and guide them until they are adults and can stand on their own. He’s got the poor things showing up for school unwashed, shirts backwards, needing haircuts and boogers running from their noses...

Okay, maybe this analogy is a bit on the ridiculous side. But it visualizes my point, no?
Again not to turn this into a Tesla post but people stop complaining about “fit and finish” of a car you don’t own ...if you choose to buy something else that is fine but ultimately the owners of Tesla vehicles are much happier with there cars then any other manufacturer by far....are they perfect no but for example the MME is trying to “catch up to tech Tesla was using years ago and to think that anyone will catch up anytime soon is crazy given Tesla is worth 10x as much as Ford currently so I’m guessing they’ll stay comfortably ahead for a while..and when the other companies catch up it will push Tesla and be good for all of us

Bottom line “fit and finish” don’t seem to matter as much once you own one and see how much better every other aspect of the car is then anything else you can buy today

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts
Again not to turn this into a Tesla post but people stop complaining about “fit and finish” of a car you don’t own ...if you choose to buy something else that is fine but ultimately the owners of Tesla vehicles are much happier with there cars then any other manufacturer by far....are they perfect no but for example the MME is trying to “catch up to tech Tesla was using years ago and to think that anyone will catch up anytime soon is crazy given Tesla is worth 10x as much as Ford currently so I’m guessing they’ll stay comfortably ahead for a while..and when the other companies catch up it will push Tesla and be good for all of us

Bottom line “fit and finish” don’t seem to matter as much once you own one and see how much better every other aspect of the car is then anything else you can buy today
Well, like I predicted at the beginning of this thread, some Tesla fans are incapable of taking any criticism and would hijack the conversation by pointing fingers at others. You state you do not want to turn this into us versus them, but since your first post that is all you are doing.

For your comments, you must realize for the typical consumer, the initial impression of quality is the fit and finish. The thought process is: if they can’t get this right, what problems are hidden underneath?

The strategy of “i have the best product. If you don’t like its mediocre quality, buy something else” is not a good competitive stance. It will hurt a company in the the long term as competition increases. 70% on a math test is still 30% failure. Shoot for the 100.

As for me, I will call out any manufacturer for their issues. Not just against Tesla. You can put money on it we will be discussing any issues the MMe has at length.

I now return the actual subject of this thread: the impending recall of 159,000 Model X and S. Please feel free to comment and discuss the issue at hand.

Do you think the claims by customers in the articles are warranted? and how do you feel Tesla should address the issue?

Here are the links to the articles again so we can discuss:

And

·
Registered
82 Posts
I saw a more in depth explanation of the issue this morning. It's not the MCU or the screen, it's a solid state removable card that needs to be replaced, probably with a higher capacity card. It appears to be an issue of read/write capacity of the solid state card. Tesla has already extended the warranty for this item, but NHTSA is likely to require a recall.

·
Registered
91 Posts
There's a reason the stock market values Tesla as they do. They have enormous potential for growth in multiple sectors. Their solar business is where the car business was in the Roadster days, maybe early Model S days, a boutique proof-of-concept that they can grow into massive business. As an automaker they're here to stay and investing heavily in global growth, and their products are pushing down toward average automotive price territory (at least in the US).

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts
There's a reason the stock market values Tesla as they do. They have enormous potential for growth in multiple sectors. Their solar business is where the car business was in the Roadster days, maybe early Model S days, a boutique proof-of-concept that they can grow into massive business. As an automaker they're here to stay and investing heavily in global growth, and their products are pushing down toward average automotive price territory (at least in the US).
I’d like restate I’m not against Tesla.

Full transparency, I have a 6kWh Tesla Solar Roof with 3 PowerWalls being scheduled now. I was hoping to get it done this year, but, well, Covid.

My criticism has always attempted to be constructive. Sometimes my frustration bleeds through.

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts
I saw a more in depth explanation of the issue this morning. It's not the MCU or the screen, it's a solid state removable card that needs to be replaced, probably with a higher capacity card. It appears to be an issue of read/write capacity of the solid state card. Tesla has already extended the warranty for this item, but NHTSA is likely to require a recall.
Thank you for the additional details. If a recall is made, Tesla will have to reimburse everyone who has paid for this repair, even if outside the extended warranty window.

Tesla should just voluntarily do it, with all the money they make they can afford it. Its good PR.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I appreciate the frustrations and like I said it’s not perfect ..I’ve worked my entire life in the auto industry (equipment for new dealership set up) and as a sales rep I drive 60-80,000 kms a year so tend to go through cars yearly and my model 3 is like going to an iPhone from a blackberry...it’s so much better in every way then my similarly priced 2019 edge titanium that I can put up with those relatively minor things ..I’m planning on an MME and especially given the 🇨🇦 Government pumping billions into making EV’s here I can’t wait to support that endeavour. I get the Tesla hate out there but like I’ve reiterated the people who buy them love them hopefully that carries over to my MME when that day gets here

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tesla is not going anywhere, they are much more than their automobiles.

I get that Tesla likes to play in the lab and come up with some innovative ideas. But its like a father that keeps having a bunch of cute babies, and not really caring for them. You have got to nurture and guide them until they are adults and can stand on their own. He’s got the poor things showing up for school unwashed, shirts backwards, needing haircuts and boogers running from their noses...

Okay, maybe this analogy is a bit on the ridiculous side. But it visualizes my point, no?
Yes, simply said it still runs like a startup, being a multi-billion business.

The technology is way ahead, cars are great if you're lucky with quality, but company management and practices are inferior.
What concerns a lot in that touchscreen failure case, is that Tesla kept installing same module for years after the issue has been uncovered, and now charges for fixing it.
But for real hardcore, look up for "Batterygate" / "Chargegate" - limiting usable capacity, power and supercharging speed on older cars to extend battery life beyond warranty period is surely new word in service practices. Basically, you're driving a handicapped car for months, just to find yourself with $20K invoice for battery replacement after warranty is out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don’t understand this “lucky with quality” there is a 98% owners approval rating of the model S higher then any model of any other car and the brand has an 88% customer satisfaction rating considerably higher then any other brand (consumer reports you can Google) ..so once again it’s not the people buying the cars that have the problems with anything about them..if people choose not to buy one because they are worried about such things that’s understandable but the numbers overwhelmingly say that the owners are extremely happy with them.

I get the shoot for a 100% but maybe every other car brand should shoot for the customer satisfaction that Tesla achieves. If the MME comes anywhere close to that we will all be happy. Once again buy whatever car you like (hopefully an EV) but banging on Tesla for a potential recall when every auto maker has them (many for dangerous things like the GM key recall or flat out lies like dieselgate VW) doesn’t seem to be effecting the value of the cars or the company or the satisfaction of the customer and isn’t that the point?

Isn’t the point of a purchase to have a happy satisfied returning customer?

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts
I don’t understand this “lucky with quality” there is a 98% owners approval rating of the model S higher then any model of any other car and the brand has an 88% customer satisfaction rating considerably higher then any other brand (consumer reports you can Google) ..so once again it’s not the people buying the cars that have the problems with anything about them..if people choose not to buy one because they are worried about such things that’s understandable but the numbers overwhelmingly say that the owners are extremely happy with them.

I get the shoot for a 100% but maybe every other car brand should shoot for the customer satisfaction that Tesla achieves. If the MME comes anywhere close to that we will all be happy. Once again buy whatever car you like (hopefully an EV) but banging on Tesla for a potential recall when every auto maker has them (many for dangerous things like the GM key recall or flat out lies like dieselgate VW) doesn’t seem to be effecting the value of the cars or the company or the satisfaction of the customer and isn’t that the point?

Isn’t the point of a purchase to have a happy satisfied returning customer?
Yes, it is. It’s also prudent to seek additional customers.

To do that, a company needs to listen to their concerns as well. And you don’t have to be an owner to voice what you don’t like about a vehicle, just like you don’t have to own one to say what you do like about that same car.

As for satisfaction surveys, I don't pay much heed to JD powers (which ranked Tesla last in quality), or consumer reports results on Tesla because the sample sizes are way too small.

So, I listen to the Tesla owners I know. And there is a consensus. The tech is great, the drivetrain is great, the rest of the car is just okay. None are completely satisfied, but they are content to live with the problems because the pluses outweigh the minuses in their eyes.

In the end, those Tesla owners that are happy, they will probably buy another. Others that are not, will buy something else when it comes time.

Automobiles are complex creations. while a company can strive to be perfect, with thousands of parts, something can potentially go wrong. It is expected something may fail. What separates each company at this point is how they respond to the issue. Do they own up? Or try to pin the issue on the owner?

With the problem currently being investigated for recall, Tesla should just voluntarily do it and stop fighting the issue. Just reimburse those they charged for the repair and fix the rest. Its better PR.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just to add to the pile, it's quite interesting to watch how TeslaMotorsClub which for years was a fanboy paradise, is now splitting because of all those recent issues.
From the ownership standpoint, Tesla's golden times ended with M3 hitting high volumes.

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts
Just to add to the pile, it's quite interesting to watch how TeslaMotorsClub which for years was a fanboy paradise, is now splitting because of all those recent issues.
From the ownership standpoint, Tesla's golden times ended with M3 hitting high volumes.
I heard they fell apart because the environment got really toxic.

I think Tesla will be on top a while longer, the TMY is set to outsell the TM3 in 2021. By 2023, I believe they will be considered just another car company in the mix.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
As some wise person once stated "Knowledge is Power" The reason that I posted these articles wasn't to 'bash' Tesla but to provide information to the persons on the forum who are considering buying a Tesla. I have NO 'skin in the game' because I'm buying a Mach E. However, it would be a disservice to only post pro Ford or pro Tesla articles and bury the articles that don't fit my agenda.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As some wise person once stated "Knowledge is Power" The reason that I posted these articles wasn't to 'bash' Tesla but to provide information to the persons on the forum who are considering buying a Tesla. I have NO 'skin in the game' because I'm buying a Mach E. However, it would be a disservice to only post pro Ford or pro Tesla articles and bury the articles that don't fit my agenda.
I hope nobody really feels like we're bashing Tesla. Problem is - there are so many overexciting misconceptions in general public, that any word against that sounds like bashing. But objectivity goes long way.
I had that eMMC failure in my P85 just month ago, so first hand experience here.

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts
The article also states that Tesla has agreed to reimburse any Model S/X owner if they paid out of pocket for the screen issue.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Let's hope the MM E helps move Ford up and out of the number 22 slot.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Luckily Ford's problems have mostly been with ecoboost powertrains. I'm counting on the ghost of my Ford-man father to ward off any issues.
My 2018 Fusion Energi aside from a bad 12V battery right after purchase has been flawless and a pleasure to drive.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts