Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts
Luckily Ford's problems have mostly been with ecoboost powertrains. I'm counting on the ghost of my Ford-man father to ward off any issues.
And the messed up Explorer launch didn’t help their cause either.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
And the messed up Explorer launch didn’t help their cause either.
When then Ford CEO Hackett started the 'restructuring' which unfortunately included suspending the stock dividend, he stated that it was a critical priority to reduce the warranty expenses that Ford was paying out for repairs. I believe based on the amount of time that has gone into the development, prototype testing and past mistakes(Explorer launch) that the MM E will overall be a success albeit not necessarily problem free. Maybe Ford will at least get back the six slots that they lost in the CR annual survey of which I've participated in for a very long time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Tesla is learning. Teslas from Giga Shanghai have the fewest complaints by a large margin above all pf approximately 50 manufactures of EVs in China. Giga Berlin will be better with the first installation of a state of the art new paint shop, the new castings, and of course German care in manufacturing. Giga Texas will have all of the improvements, all in production in mid 2021. The Freemont factory is the source of the growing pains in the introduction of the Model Y, but they have consistently dealt with issues and are quite a bit improved in fit and finish, Don't doubt the manufacturing improvements will be phased into Freemont.

An interesting note from Sandy Munro (look him up), the Model Y is now less expensive to manufacture than the Model 3, but priced higher because of SUV size in the market. If they bring the casting presses into the Model 3 production, It bodes well for significant price reductions.

Just for the record, I also consider the very attractive Mach E and the "unknown" Q4 Etron as candidates for replacing my second car, hopefully past the Covid mess next fall. If I go Model Y, I will look for a Texas car.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
867 Posts
Tesla is learning. Teslas from Giga Shanghai have the fewest complaints by a large margin above all pf approximately 50 manufactures of EVs in China. Giga Berlin will be better with the first installation of a state of the art new paint shop, the new castings, and of course German care in manufacturing. Giga Texas will have all of the improvements, all in production in mid 2021. The Freemont factory is the source of the growing pains in the introduction of the Model Y, but they have consistently dealt with issues and are quite a bit improved in fit and finish, Don't doubt the manufacturing improvements will be phased into Freemont.

An interesting note from Sandy Munro (look him up), the Model Y is now less expensive to manufacture than the Model 3, but priced higher because of SUV size in the market. If they bring the casting presses into the Model 3 production, It bodes well for significant price reductions.

Just for the record, I also consider the very attractive Mach E and the "unknown" Q4 Etron as candidates for replacing my second car, hopefully past the Covid mess next fall. If I go Model Y, I will look for a Texas car.
I looked at the MME today and afterwards the Model Y.

I saw none of the previous problems with early production of Y's in the model Y I looked at which is a latter production. I think Musk has gotten the initial quality control issues under control.

For what it is worth, I preferred the Y to the MME.

That might changed when my MME is delivered and I test drive both.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I looked at the MME today and afterwards the Model Y.

I saw none of the previous problems with early production of Y's in the model Y I looked at which is a latter production. I think Musk has gotten the initial quality control issues under control.

For what it is worth, I preferred the Y to the MME.

That might changed when my MME is delivered and I test drive both.

You didn't get a chance to test drive the MMe Demo?

·
Registered
867 Posts
You didn't get a chance to test drive the MMe Demo?
Only the guys from Ford were allowed to drive the MME.

BTW, the other three people there, two had placed orders were male, older (mid 60's) and there without wives!

When you go to Tesla the demographics are completely different: Much, much younger and couples.

From what I saw the "Mustang" name was not resonating with the younger, more "hip" crowd that was in the Tesla showroom.

Because my first car was Mustang, I have a soft place in my heart for the brand.

If this was a Chevy Camaro I would have had little to no interest.

I wonder if the Mustang name has any value in the younger buying demographic?

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

BTW, the other three people there, two had placed orders were male, older (mid 60's) and there without wives!

When you go to Tesla the demographics are completely different: Much, much younger and couples.

From what I saw the "Mustang" name was not resonating with the younger, more "hip" crowd that was in the Tesla showroom.

Because my first car was Mustang, I have a soft place in my heart for the brand.

That's the Pits what's the point of not being able to drive what you're considering. As to the Mustang Brand like the Camero it's diminishing , albeit at a slower rate. Who knows but as a former '4 Wheeler' who ran sand dunes in Baja in a 1970 Bronco I also don't understand why someone living in an urban area buys a Jeep or Bronco with a paint job that costs them a months salary and then drives it on an Interstate. Vive la diffe'rence

·
Registered
867 Posts
That's the Pits what's the point of not being able to drive what you're considering. As to the Mustang Brand like the Camero it's diminishing , albeit at a slower rate. Who knows but as a former '4 Wheeler' who ran sand dunes in Baja in a 1970 Bronco I also don't understand why someone living in an urban area buys a Jeep or Bronco with a paint job that costs them a months salary and then drives it on an Interstate. Vive la diffe'rence
Meyers Manx!

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
PS: As to wives in the show room, after my wife put a good sized dent in our car (one of many future dents) and then said to me "why are you getting excited it's only transportation" I did several things, I never took her to a show room I bought her a GM Saturn which was made from un-dentable plastic panels and finally never let her drive 'my transportation'

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts

Yes, it does have value with younger demographic. But many of them are looking for the two-door coup.

I think it was just timing, maybe the retired crowd was with you. I went later in the day after work hours. There were four others when we were there, two younger couples who looked mid 30’s, one had a child with them. Another couple in their 50’s. and a lone man in his 40’s.

The name only helps give the MME more significance, it wasn’t used to convert Mustang fans. The name selection is doing its job, now its time for the car itself to shine.

I think @Summerlin Bob was asking if you got a ride-along?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yes, it does have value with younger demographic. But many of them are looking for the two-door coup.

I think it was just timing, maybe the retired crowd was with you. I went later in the day after work hours. There were four others when we were there, two younger couples who looked mid 30’s, one had a child with them. Another couple in their 50’s. and a lone man in his 40’s.

The name only helps give the MME more significance, it wasn’t used to convert Mustang fans. The name selection is doing its job, now its time for the car itself to shine.

I think @Summerlin Bob was asking if you got a ride-along?
I was not offered a ride along. If the lease rates stay where they are, 44% residual at 36 months, 10k miles per year, MF 5.4% I am not interested in even a test drive.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I think that it's worth restating that basing the residual on the MSRP can be misleading as to what the 'buyer' has invested. For example, when I leased my 2018 Fusion Platinum Energi the MSRP was 41K however Ford applied the $7500 Tax Credit and an additional $1500 to the MSRP which resulted in a cost basis of 32K and a residual of $19K (24months, I thought that I would be going BEV a year ago). 45% vs 59% on the residual. It's been nine months since I purchased the Fusion at the end of the lease and the selling price of my model with my current mileage (10,100 due to Covid) and in pristine condition is valued between 21 to 24K which if I get anything more than the 19K residual I'm ahead money plus an extra year of usage. When I showed the Fusion to the dealer his eyes lit up and he said wow I've only seen two other Platinum's in town. So to reiterate my original statement while 44% is the stated residual, the actual residual % will be higher and cash investment lower due to Credits and possible State rebates. Finally, regardless of the potential technological leaps in the next three years there will be people who don't have a spare 50 to 60K to spend on a new MMe and will be looking for a clean previously owned version ergo, if I like it when I see it I'll get it. IJMO/ICBW

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts
if I like it when I see it I'll get it.
I get you, @Summerlin Bob - Life is about more than just numbers.

just a gentle reminder to all: this thread is about a potential Tesla recall, and not leasing and financing. There are plenty of lively threads on the subject.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I get you, @Summerlin Bob - Life is about more than just numbers.

just a gentle reminder to all: this thread is about a potential Tesla recall, and not leasing and financing. There are plenty of lively threads on the subject.
I realized that after the post and copied it to the correct thread. Sorry I got lost in the numbers.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts