Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 2.6%
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Select MMe with eAWD and Comfort & Tech package in Rapid Red
17 Posts
Ok. Dumb Question alert! Sorry in advance…If a L2 EVSE delivers 20kw per hour, and an ER Mach E has roughly a 90kw battery, shouldn’t it only take roughly 4.5hrs to fully charge the car?

If I get electricity for .10 a kw, and my battery is 90kw, then wouldn’t it only cost $9 to charge my MME from 0% to 100%?
Hi @MRyan7465:

The power delivered by your EVSE is rated in watts or kilowatts. The storage capacity of your battery is rated in kWh (kilowatt·hours), or roughly, the product of the wattage supplied and the time over which it is supplied. Your electricity usage rates use the same metric - kWh, which is how much wattage you use for how long. If you use 100 watts for an hour, you've used 0.1kWh. If your car has a 90kWh battery, it can supply 1000 watts for 90 hours straight.

Charging your battery isn't quite 1:1 EVSE power to capacity. In other words, if your EVSE can deliver 20kW, it won't take exactly 90kWh / 20kW = 4.5h. There are losses, inefficiencies, and electrical & chemical restrictions. But, yeah, that's about right. It shouldn't take twice that long, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a half hour longer.

If you pay $0.10 per kWh, and you draw 20kW for 4.5 hours, you use the 90 kWh, and you'll pay 90kWh * $0.10 per kWh which comes to $9.00. So, yes, you're in the right ballpark.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Ok. Dumb Question alert! Sorry in advance…If a L2 EVSE delivers 20kw per hour, and an ER Mach E has roughly a 90kw battery, shouldn’t it only take roughly 4.5hrs to fully charge the car?

Yes

If I get electricity for .10 a kw, and my battery is 90kw, then wouldn’t it only cost $9 to charge my MME from 0% to 100%?

Yes

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
And now I'm going to repeat 4th grade math class.........Thanks, guys!
No your math is correct: sometimes it is good to have it verified.

The range of your MachE is approximately 270 miles, The cost in electricity is $.033 per mile. ($9/270)

Compared to a car that gets 30 mpg, with gas at $4.50 a gallon, that is $.15 per mile.

If you drive 10K miles per year:

• Mache will cost $330
  • ICE will cost $1,500
Here on Long Island electricity is $.23 per KWH: so my cost is $20.70 or $.077 per mile. 10K miles will cost me $770.

In either case that is a substantial savings.

·
Registered
518 Posts
No. Your EVSE may be capable of 20kw per hr, but the Mach E on board charger will limit it to 11.5 kw per hr. Your charging time from 0-100% would be about [(91)/11.5)]/0.9 assuming 90% efficiency of the charging. That gives about 9 hrs. The Mach E will accept 48 amps at 240 volts.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
No. Your EVSE may be capable of 20kw per hr, but the Mach E on board charger will limit it to 11.5 kw per hr. Your charging time from 0-100% would be about [(91)/11.5)]/0.9 assuming 90% efficiency of the charging. That gives about 9 hrs. The Mach E will accept 48 amps at 240 volts.
Are you sure? That means that everyone who upgraded their electrical system, some at great expense, to put in a 40 amp charger, like the Charge Point, just wasted all their money?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Are you sure? That means that everyone who upgraded their electrical system, some at great expense, to put in a 40 amp charger, like the Charge Point, just wasted all their money?
240 volts x 40 amps = 9.6 kw per hr [50 amp circuit required]
240 volts x 48 amps = 11.5 kw per hr [60 amp circuit required]
I have a Juice Box 40 on a 50 amp circuit and my JB app tells me I am getting 9.5 kw per hr
I don't have Ford documentation at my fingertips but the specs on the Ford Connected hard wired EVSE unit list 48 amps output to the car at 240 volts. Sometimes there is confusion between amps and kilowatts.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's normal that the charging at home will be significantly different than DC fast charging and a lot of it's readily available. I looked at the Mach E information before selecting the ChargePoint Home Flex when my car is delivered.

Tesla for example Onboard Charger

·
Registered
4 Posts
February 24th 2022 I got my 1st Electric ⚡ vehicle as I waited for the Mach-E to arrive later this year..

I just received my 1st (2 Month Electric Bill) & it went to tier 2 KWH (see pic) & went from a 2 month Avg. Of $120-130 to $299 😬 I also charge 110V (Level 1 Slow charging overnight.) LADWP.

I didn’t realize Electric would cost more then what I spent on Gas ⛽ for my previous ICE vehicle ($100-125 p/mo.)

Does this seem right for many of you??
Also when I go to charge at Charge point, it’s usually about 1-2 Hrs. & about $1 & change.. Seems like Charging stations may be affordable. What’s your take? Or recommendations?

Thank you. View attachment 7863
That can happen if you are changing in peak hours .

·
Registered
21 Mach E Premium AWD ER Infinite Blue
24 Posts

Your math is correct, but you'll probably charge 15% to 90% being $7.50 in under 4 hours.
If you assume an ICE vehicle getting 22 mpg for comparison, you're paying 85 cents per gallon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
February 24th 2022 I got my 1st Electric ⚡ vehicle as I waited for the Mach-E to arrive later this year..

I just received my 1st (2 Month Electric Bill) & it went to tier 2 KWH (see pic) & went from a 2 month Avg. Of $120-130 to $299 😬 I also charge 110V (Level 1 Slow charging overnight.) LADWP.

I didn’t realize Electric would cost more then what I spent on Gas ⛽ for my previous ICE vehicle ($100-125 p/mo.)

Also when I go to charge at Charge point, it’s usually about 1-2 Hrs. & about $1 & change.. Seems like Charging stations may be affordable. What’s your take? Or recommendations?

I'm in norther California, PG&E utility company; rates have increased over past 6 months from .13/kwh to current .21/kwh...more than a 50% increase, which impacts my charging costs proportionally. PG&E does have a rate plan option for EV users/chargers, essentially creates lowest rate/off-peak period for charging (12midnight to 3pm). Also, if this might be helpful- the PG&E website allows me to cursor over the specific days/times to see what my cost are in actual dollars; this is really helpful bc when I'm charging over night the graph is dramatic since there's really no other electricity usage occurring during the hours 12midnight to ~ 6am. Hope this helps some...

·
Registered
30 Posts

I've been driving EVs for 7 years now and have my MME Premium for just over a year. My electric bill barely budged from what I was spending before. When I got my MME in 3/21 my electric bill did not change. BTW, I'm paying $0.06/kWh

·
Registered
62 Posts

Lots of good info from others on the forum, so for comparison, in North Carolina with Duke Energy in the Triangle the rates are:
  1. Basic Facilities Charge, per month: $14.00
  2. Energy Charge
    1. Critical Peak Energy per month, per kWh. 35.0000¢. When notified, it varies
    2. On-Peak Energy per month, per kWh. 19.2297¢ 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
    3. Off-Peak Energy per month, per kWh 8.4187¢. 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM and 9:00 PM to 1:00 AM
    4. Discount Energy per month, per kWh. 6.0864¢ 1:00 AM to 6:00 AM
  3. Bills range from $75 to $150 per month so far.
Looking back my Mach-E added 150 to 200 kWh per month depending on driving. When I added the MINI Cooper S EV that added 50 to 100 kWH (not an exact analysis). The Mustang charges on a NEMA 14-50 using the Ford supplied EVSE and the MINI on a NEMA 14-30 using a ClipperCreek EVSE.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
Late 2021 Iconic Silver Premium eAWD
35 Posts
Yikes! We are in west. Pa have west Penn elect and pay .056 kWh. Even the most costly Duquesne elect is .12 kWh.
Curious, wonder why your rate (.056 kwh) is so low? Coal powered generation plants? I chose a a clean power energy provider through JCP&L and I’m paying .012 kWh here in NJ, but I guess you can never be too sure where the power’s coming from! No off peak hours though, it’s just a flat rate. So I charge to 90% and leave it plugged in. Does that trickle charge the 12v battery, does anyone know? Anyone know if it draws a lot of current leaving it plugged in?

·
Registered
37 Posts

Depending on where you live, call your electric company and tell them you have an electric car. They usually will give you better rates to charge overnight. I live in LA but I have Edison and they changed my rates to 0.13 per kwh and then 0.35 per kwh between the hours of 4-9pm. I am almost never home between 4-9 so it works out for me.

Also remember, gas is higher than giraffe coochie. The extra on your electric bill will pale in comparison to what you would be paying for an ICE vehicle right now here.

I know DWP has some special rates. Give them a call. they may have some rebates too for having an electric car

Hope this was helpful.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts