1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am wondering this too. I already have a nema 10-30 (30a) dryer plug but not sure what type of charging station I need to get. I was thinking about the juicebox but want it to be plug and play. We have NEVER used the dryer plug because we use gas dryers.
NEMA 10-30 Socket

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am wondering this too. I already have a nema 10-30 (30a) dryer plug but not sure what type of charging station I need to get. I was thinking about the juicebox but want it to be plug and play. We have NEVER used the dryer plug because we use gas dryers.
NEMA 10-30 Socket
I'm probably going to buy the Juicebox 40. I already installed the NEMA outlet on a 50 amp circuit breaker and I was hoping to get it all submitted with my 2020 taxes to get the credit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was hoping to get the Mach E by year-end, but that is no longer a reality. If I understand this tax credit correctly, it expires 12/31/2020. Is anyone else buying charging equipment this year to take advantage of the rebate BEFORE they actually get their Mach E?

I'm probably going to buy the Juicebox 40. I already installed the NEMA outlet on a 50 amp circuit breaker and I was hoping to get it all submitted with my 2020 taxes to get the credit.
I just bought the Juicebox 40 and 30A adapter on Amazon for 12 months no interest but will pay it off way before then. I hope to get the rebates before the end of the year but some of the requirements and qualifications require a current registration (not temp tags). I have a personalized plate I am going to assign to it if I can ever get to the DMV to pick it up.

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
I was hoping to get the Mach E by year-end, but that is no longer a reality. If I understand this tax credit correctly, it expires 12/31/2020. Is anyone else buying charging equipment this year to take advantage of the rebate BEFORE they actually get their Mach E?

Yes, you can install the charger this year without the car and qualify for this credit. Nothing I’ve read on the IRS website says otherwise.

This credit is really for businesses who put in charging at their facilities. They get up to a $30,000 credit.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,128 Posts
I just bought the Juicebox 40 and 30A adapter on Amazon for 12 months no interest but will pay it off way before then. I hope to get the rebates before the end of the year but some of the requirements and qualifications require a current registration (not temp tags). I have a personalized plate I am going to assign to it if I can ever get to the DMV to pick it up.
You might want to rethink that. A NEMA 10-30 is a 30A outlet, meaning you have a 30A breaker. A JuiceBox 40 is a 40A charger and draws 1/3 more power than your circuit will accommodate. Additionally, EVSEs have continuous draw, so you need a circuit with 125% the capacity of your load. That means your 30A circuit can only handle a 24A charger.

The good news is you can probably down-regulate the draw using the JuiceNet app but then you are relying on software to prevent an overloaded circuit. While blown circuits are no big deal, fires are. Personally, I would worry about accidentally overloading the circuit and wouldn't trust a software control.

The better choices are to have a higher amperage circuit installed or buy a 24A EVSE.

·
Registered
621 Posts
NEMA 10-30 Socket
Just be aware that an EVSE draws current for a sustained period, which means that you must configure it to draw only 80% of what the circuit is rated for because heat will build up in the wiring. So for a 30A circuit, you'd have to configure the EVSE to only draw 24A. You might be better off getting an electrician to replace the 30A breaker and running thicker wire for a 40 or 50 amp circuit. The cost of the electrician is also eligible for the 30% tax rebate

1 - 10 of 10 Posts