Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Makes a lot of sense...

"Ann Arbor Police Department getting its first all-electric Ford Mustangs" Ann Arbor Police Department getting its first all-electric Ford Mustangs

Some precedent here:

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,775 Posts
Makes a lot of sense...

"Ann Arbor Police Department getting its first all-electric Ford Mustangs" Ann Arbor Police Department getting its first all-electric Ford Mustangs

Some precedent here:

Using Tesla for police cars:

Very interesting. Sent to our village mayor.

I looked over the chart. Gas and maintenance on the Charger seem to be in line until April: then there is a maintenance charge of $1935. Without knowing what that is, it is difficult to determine the actual savings.

I see periodic small charges which I assume are oil and filter changes, usually done at 5,000 mile intervals.

It might be tires: But I think if the cars are driven 125 miles a day, 45,000 a year, by April both cars would have needed tires and certainly by the end of the year, both cars would have needed tires. Yet there is zero maintenance charges for the Tesla.

Do not think that is possible.

Just my observations.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using Tesla for police cars:

Very interesting. Sent to our village mayor.

I looked over the chart. Gas and maintenance on the Charger seem to be in line until April: then there is a maintenance charge of $1935. Without knowing what that is, it is difficult to determine the actual savings.

I see periodic small charges which I assume are oil and filter changes, usually done at 5,000 mile intervals.

It might be tires: But I think if the cars are driven 125 miles a day, 45,000 a year, by April both cars would have needed tires and certainly by the end of the year, both cars would have needed tires. Yet there is zero maintenance charges for the Tesla.

Do not think that is possible.

Just my observations.
Brakes maybe. EVs routinely go to 100K miles without needing a brake job. No oil change. Other maintenance like the coolant and transmission fluid are well past 100k miles.

Rotate the tires, top off the washer fluid, and change the cabin air filter. Not much else to do.

The most frequent scheduled maintenance interval is 12 months / 10k miles. It will coincide with the state inspection. In fact, I may have have to start buying washer fluid again because there isn't a 6 month oil change cycle.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Brakes maybe. EVs routinely go to 100K miles without needing a brake job. No oil change. Other maintenance like the coolant and transmission fluid are well past 100k miles.

Rotate the tires, top off the washer fluid, and change the cabin air filter. Not much else to do.

The most frequent scheduled maintenance interval is 12 months / 10k miles. It will coincide with the state inspection. In fact, I may have have to start buying washer fluid again because there isn't a 6 month oil change cycle.

A brake job at most is between $400 and $600.

The chart is highly suspect: both cars will need replacement tires yet there are zero maintenance costs for the Tesla.

Finally, and here I am really surprised, they choose the RWD Tesla: they are in Michigan where it snows!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A brake job at most is between $400 and $600.

The chart is highly suspect: both cars will need replacement tires yet there are zero maintenance costs for the Tesla.

Finally, and here I am really surprised, they choose the RWD Tesla: they are in Michigan where it snows!
You're in LI right? If you can get a brake job for $4-500 there, if for the pads and rotors, it might be the only thing cheaper in LI than here in the Hudson Valley.

You are right though... the ~$2K is a bit out of wack. Not sure if they're conflating repairs with maintenance.

There's 2 links in the OP. 1st news article is Ann Arbor. The existing case is in Bargersville, Indiana (near Indianapolis). Ann Arbor is going with the AWD.

I might have gone with the AWD. But up until recently most police cruisers were RWD. Don't want to go through that FWD/RWD/AWD discussion again here but police departments managed for years with Crown Vic's, Impala's, etc... with studded snows/chains.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
But up until recently most police cruisers were RWD. Don't want to go through that FWD/RWD/AWD discussion again here but police departments managed for years with Crown Vic's, Impala's, etc... with studded snows/chains.
Good point

1 - 6 of 6 Posts