Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Ford Focus SEL Hatchback
89 Posts
For the increased range in city versus on the highway, that's mostly due to the wind resistance. The more speed you have, the more you need to fight this resistance and it's increase exponentially with speed.

Reactions: JTK44

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,120 Posts
For the increased range in city versus on the highway, that's mostly due to the wind resistance. The more speed you have, the more you need to fight this resistance and it's increase exponentially with speed.
That's a big part of the highway mileage and RV problem. Lots more air resistance to move a brick than a blade, so a Transit will need much more battery capacity to travel 250-300 miles than a Mach E does.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I believe the 11% buffer is all at the remaining charge level.

The actual 99 kWh battery rating accounts for the protection from an over-charge. LG already works that into the cell ratings. When the charge reaches the cell rating, the BMS stops charging.
I totally made up the numbers as an example, but I am positive they do not let you actually drain the battery down to true 0. That is damaging to Li-ion batterys

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I am driving a BMW 328d with a 15 gal fuel tank. We average anywhere from 42 - 48 mpg on this vehicle while on the highway, including long road trips. We have on occassion gone 700 miles on one tank full when we knew where the next diesel pump was.
I also drive a 328d (2014 with 80k miles), and I absolutely love the car. I once drove from Ann Arbor, MI to NYC on a single tank of gas and when I got to NYC I still had 70 miles in fuel remaining. I will miss the outstanding highway range of the diesel, but the 328d was my 'bridge' car to transition away from fuel. Although I have a bit of anxiety regarding longer road trips, I'm looking forward to the Mach E; especially for my daily commute between Ann Arbor and Detroit.

I'll be selling my 328d in early Q1 2021 when my Mach E arrives. I will be a bit sad to give it up, though. BMWs are great cars, but it's time to reward the Blue Oval for designing a compelling vehicle.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
The 270 expected range comes from the 88 kWh of battery Ford makes accessible to you. (Ev-database says they expect real-world range to be 268 miles).

The other 11 kWh of the 99 kWh pack (~11%) are restricted from your use by the battery management system (BMS). Ford may make some of this available in the future as they get more real-world data back.

A question i have is: Being there is 11% reserved, does this reduce the usual 20% charge floor to 10%? My biggest reason for wanting to get my hands on the user manual is to get Ford’s charging recommendations.

as for range anxiety, I’m going to throw some food for thought out there. If I had a Ford Edge with a 18.5 gallon gas tank, it would go for 425 miles if I somehow managed to match the EPA combined 23 MPG rating. I never go to empty. So assuming I leave at least a 1/4 tank before refueling, my theoretical range would be 319 miles. I also only pay cash for gas, so i usually add $20 gas at a time (10 gallons at my current gas prices). So right now my range between refueling is actually 230 miles (55% capacity). This doesn’t take into consideration environmental impacts on MPG.

In my book when it comes to refueling, the only real difference between BEV vehicles with a decent range and an ICE vehicle is the ‘refueling’ speed.
Good points. I would add that in an EV, you generally have a more accurate estimate number concerning miles available.

·
Registered
29 Posts
From my home to Ludlow Vermont is 254 miles - I make the trip 10 to 12 times a year for skiing and have been doing so for over 20 years so I know the mileage.
I would maybe make that trip as an experiment, but otherwise in winter, in rural areas, ICE has no alternatives.
Every tool is good for certain job. EVs excel in city driving.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
867 Posts
I would maybe make that trip as an experiment, but otherwise in winter, in rural areas, ICE has no alternatives.
Every tool is good for certain job. EVs excel in city driving.
Interesting that you wrote thet "EVs excel in city driving".

In Manhattan, I live on Long Island, the means of transportation is public not private. Only a small proportion of NY City residents own a car and those that do do not usually use them on a daily basis preferring to take once again public transportation. They are used for trips, which we have concluded is not their strength.

Clearly NY is somewhat unique and most of the country does rely on autos for their transportation.

I see no purpose in making the trip to Vermont as "an experiment". Last winter it was 15 degrees when I went into gym. Outside there was a Tesla charging. When I came out the temp had dropped to 5 and it was a full blown blizzard. I got into my ICE, turned it over waited 30 seconds, turned on heater and drove away.

The Tesla was buried in snow still charging. I guess the owner was inside waiting and checking his app to see how much charge he had and how much longer he had to wait before he could leave. By then the roads would have been pretty close to impassable.

Thanks but no thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting that you wrote thet "EVs excel in city driving".

In Manhattan, I live on Long Island, the means of transportation is public not private. Only a small proportion of NY City residents own a car and those that do do not usually use them on a daily basis preferring to take once again public transportation. They are used for trips, which we have concluded is not their strength.

Clearly NY is somewhat unique and most of the country does rely on autos for their transportation.
Still don't see what's wrong with my statement.
If you don't need a daily commuter, that's OK, but doesn't make an EV a poor choice for suburbs or smaller cities where most population lives.
Just to clarify, if usual daily commute can be done on single charge, then plugged in overnight, EV will be more convenient and cheaper than ICE, not even mentioning nice pick up and no fumes.
I see no purpose in making the trip to Vermont as "an experiment".
Thanks but no thanks.
I was talking about myself, and actually plan to do similar trip(s), at least to learn what my car is capable of.
But it's a personal choice, and otherwise I'm supporting your point.
Again, don't really see where all this irrational vibe is coming from.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The 270 expected range comes from the 88 kWh of battery Ford makes accessible to you. (Ev-database says they expect real-world range to be 268 miles).

The other 11 kWh of the 99 kWh pack (~11%) are restricted from your use by the battery management system (BMS). Ford may make some of this available in the future as they get more real-world data back.

A question i have is: Being there is 11% reserved, does this reduce the usual 20% charge floor to 10%? My biggest reason for wanting to get my hands on the user manual is to get Ford’s charging recommendations.

as for range anxiety, I’m going to throw some food for thought out there. If I had a Ford Edge with a 18.5 gallon gas tank, it would go for 425 miles if I somehow managed to match the EPA combined 23 MPG rating. I never go to empty. So assuming I leave at least a 1/4 tank before refueling, my theoretical range would be 319 miles. I also only pay cash for gas, so i usually add $20 gas at a time (10 gallons at my current gas prices). So right now my range between refueling is actually 230 miles (55% capacity). This doesn’t take into consideration environmental impacts on MPG.

In my book when it comes to refueling, the only real difference between BEV vehicles with a decent range and an ICE vehicle is the ‘refueling’ speed.
This was one of the best explanations I have seen about "range anxiety" that helps put it to rest and point out the real issue is how "fast" re-fueling is.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Great point. You could add the convenience of home charging (re-fueling) too.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
922 Posts

·
Registered
2017, Chevy Bolt - Reserved 2021 Mustang Mach E Premier AWD Extended Range
29 Posts
I do own a Ford Edge:

• I use a credit card and fill up. 15 gallons, at 23 mpg, will give me an additional range of 345 miles. The fill up will take 5 minutes. Under best of circumstances 5 minutes at super charger will give you at most 35 miles or range.
  • Unless I am on the Northway in the Adirondacks there is a gas station ever 20 to 30 miles. In an EV it may be every 50 miles and not every charging station is a supercharger.
  • The 23 mpg on the open road in a Ford Edge is realistic whether in the winter or the summer. At 70/75 mph I always get more than 23 mpg or better.
  • The range of MME 270 in reality is the maximum range. In the real world at speed in the winter expect that range to drop to under 200 miles. In the summer with AC on expect that range to drop to 230 miles
I see both time of recharging and range as issues - not just the time it takes to charge.

I can give you a very specific example:

From my home to Ludlow Vermont is 254 miles - I make the trip 10 to 12 times a year for skiing and have been doing so for over 20 years so I know the mileage.

I fill up my Mercedes, 21 gallons and I get 31 mpg at 70 miles per hour. My first stop is at the rest stop in Middletown CT for five minutes, 100 miles 1 1/2 hours. My second stop is the rest stop at Vermont border, another 105 miles, 1 1/2 hours for 5 minutes. I arrive in Ludlow with more than a half a tank of gas and it has taken me 4 hours and 15/20 minutes.

Now I make the same trip with the MME:

• I make the same stop at Middletown.
  • I make a second stop at Springfield Mass 146 miles. Because it is winter I have used 80% of the charge. I must now fully charge the battery, 60 minutes.
  • I now must stop again at Brattelboro, VT. 50 miles to once again fully charge the battery, as there are no super charging stations between Brattleboro, VT and Ludow, VT. That 50 miles has used slightly less than 1/3 of the battery. The charge will take another 20 minutes.
I could reverse and only stop for 20 minutes in Springfield, but then I would to stop for 60 minutes in Brattleboro.

Either way using the MME I have turned a 4 hour 15/20 minute trip in an Ice to a 6 hour trip in the MME.

This is for only a 250 mile trip. When the trip is longer, time spent recharging will be greater.

That is why I am keeping my Ford Edge for long trips. The MME is just not practical.

BTW, with the Model Y and the 50 miles of extra range, I could make it to Brattleboro, 200 miles. I would only need 1/3 charge, 20 minutes as Tesla does have charging stations in Ludlow - 4 in fact. They are located at the ski slope and you can charge your car while you are skiing!

So the same trip with a Model Y would be 1 hour shorter than the MME.

In my experience with my Chevy Bolt. I get the EPA rated range in summer with AC on. I get about 10% higher range with AC off in summer. With winter 25% reduction in range is normal for our cold winters in Ontario Canada.

I ordered the FE Mustang Mach E. The 270 mile range will be easy to reach and I expect we should get 300 mile range in summer with AC on.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts