Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is another thread on what I am calling "interior engine noise" (the Mach E will have three modes with interior engine noise simulation (via stereo speakers I believe) which is discussed in another thread ranging from I think "nothing" to "something modestly cool sounding").

I searched the forum and did not see any any discussion of external "low-speed" noise or sound. I drive a Ford Fusion Energi right now and it is "silent running" when on battery at all times, so the only noise to alert anyone I am sneaking slowly down the street is the tire noise (so I could recreate that scene from "The Office" where they snuck up an pinned Dwight against the bushes). Most people think it is "stealthy cool" but laws are popping up as it is not very pedestrian safe if you are "loosely visually aware" of your surroundings (face it too many peds are face down in a screen while walking) and relying on audio cues for oncoming traffic in a parking lot or slower street situation.

We also have an Acrua MDX Sport Hybrid and we noticed after we brought it home and pulled it into the garage it was "singing" when running on battery at slow speeds (I would describe it as an "angelic song" kind of sound). So we joke our car "sings" to us at low speeds. I have gotten odd looks when starting off slowly from a stop light and the person next to me has their window down. My wife asked me to turn it off (you can't in the settings), nor did I want to risk mucking with the fuses, violating warranty or taking any insurance risks.

So the question is: Has anyone heard if the Mach E will have a low-speed exterior sound? If so what sound?

If anyone from Ford reads this and you simply must have an exterior safety sound, please be cool and allow some customization or options within certain parameters (e.g. say a "Jetsons" flying car sound, "Batmobile-like cool sound" or something as opposed to "singing" or "generic boring engine rumble"). :cool:

·
Registered
106 Posts
The interior sound can be disabled/ enabled separately from selecting drive modes (whisper, engaged, unbridled).

The exterior sound can't be disabled, and is on for pedestrian safety at lower speeds. I heard it in a YouTube video but I don't remember which one at the moment. It reminded me of the Jetson's car but more subdued and refined.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The interior sound can be disabled/ enabled separately from selecting drive modes (whisper, engaged, unbridled).

The exterior sound can't be disabled, and is on for pedestrian safety at lower speeds. I heard it in a YouTube video but I don't remember which one at the moment. It reminded me of the Jetson's car but more subdued and refined.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the exterior sounds are legally required now right?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but the exterior sounds are legally required now right?
Depends on where you live. I'm unaware of the laws for Canada.

In the U.S., by September of this year, manufacturers must supply their "quiet cars" with sound emissions to warn nearby pedestrians, cyclists, and the blind, while the vehicles are moving at speeds up to 18.6 mph (30 km/h).

Here's some general info: Electric vehicle warning sounds - Wikipedia

·
Registered
4 Posts
In Ben Sullins interview with Darren Pallmer he said that they went for an authentic sound for the Mach-E by recording the electric motors and augmenting that sound for external. He said at one of the preview drives when three Mach-E's came back in succession they had a futuristic "zeew, zeew, zeew" (his sounds not mine) sound to them that overlays the required sound by regulators. He starts talking about sound at 5:20 but talks specifically on how the car approached with the "authentic" sound at around 7 min:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts