Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,684 Posts
they clearly say the last 20 percent do not go fast speed to preserve the battery
Yes and No.

The Audi Etron maintains the charging speed up to 100% but not the MME.

My point is that on a road trip, you must calculate range based on 80% to 20% in the winter, 80% to 15% in the summer not 100% to 20% because no one will spend up to an additional 2 hours for 20% more range.

On the LR AWD Premium, with a stated range of 270 miles, the effective range on a trip is 20% less, 55 miles less or: 175 miles not 230 miles assuming you recharge when you are down to 15%.

That 55 miles loss of range on a road trip is significant.

Hope this clarifies.

·
Registered
Ford Mustang Mach E - Premium RWD SR, Ford Explorer 2016 XLT, HD 16 Heritage Classic
14 Posts
Yes and No.

The Audi Etron maintains the charging speed up to 100% but not the MME.

My point is that on a road trip, you must calculate range based on 80% to 20% in the winter, 80% to 15% in the summer not 100% to 20% because no one will spend up to an additional 2 hours for 20% more range.

On the LR AWD Premium, with a stated range of 270 miles, the effective range on a trip is 20% less, 55 miles less or: 175 miles not 230 miles assuming you recharge when you are down to 15%.

That 55 miles loss of range on a road trip is significant.

Hope this clarifies.
I can't speak for any other manufacturers, it is my first EV. I just know everywhere it says fast charge 0-80% some even say 5-80% or 10-80%
And in other forums people said it is the normal procedure in EV's which means you fill up on a road trip to 80 drive it down to 10 and charge again, if you do it under 1 or 3 charging sessions not much of a difference, if you are already on a long trip in my opinion. But, where I am there are plenty of chargers...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I can't speak for any other manufacturers, it is my first EV. I just know everywhere it says fast charge 0-80% some even say 5-80% or 10-80%
And in other forums people said it is the normal procedure in EV's which means you fill up on a road trip to 80 drive it down to 10 and charge again, if you do it under 1 or 3 charging sessions not much of a difference, if you are already on a long trip in my opinion. But, where I am there are plenty of chargers...
Just to 80% in the e-Tron.

MachE's charging curve looks to be more like Tesla's where it starts to ramp down at 30%.

Did I miss it or is the MME missing from the chart?

Also take note that the Etron not only charges at a higher rate but continues that high rate almost up to 80%.

That in charging time is a huge difference.

Of course the optimal range of just over 200 miles for the eTron is dismal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is this not a classic example of "First year of production" glitches?

No matter how many test miles are driven, how good the computer modeling is, there have always been and imo there will always be first year production glitches.

The latest being taking 45 minutes on a DCFC to go from 20% to 80% charge, but almost an additional two hours to go from 80% to 100%. This I think is nothing more than a software glitch that eventually will cleared up by an OTA update. But until then, on a road trip, you are losing 20% of your range.
The 80% DCFC should change as right now we do not have 88 KWh usable as per sales agreement. It would be hard to defend that 10 to 16 KW and 2 hours from 82% to 100% (Nyland live stream and priceless) can be considered usable within the scope of the sales agreement. We will see when the dust settles. Right not 80% DCFC limit is most likely not the main thing of Fords mind. Not a software glitch as much as gun shy I would say. 11 KWh buffer for what? Warranty?
they clearly say the last 20 percent do not go fast speed to preserve the battery
70 KWh usable on a 98.8 KWh pack to preserve the battery? Not required or the case for the model s and no problems there. Is there something inferior with LG compared to Panasonic batteries?
Yes/no... more of a bug/feature than a glitch....
I would be more worried if I did think it was a production glitch (having to do with build/assembly of the vehicle).
For our use case, up to 40% loss of range is acceptable.... In fact, we planned the MME purchase using this figure.
With the historically high buffer grab (to preserve the battery) you are correct 30% degradation warranty just went to 41%. I do not think that 40% degradation will be realized based on past bev's history and you may have full range at 8 years if ford feeds back that buffer. After 8 years it is time to bolt up a new solid state pack.

·
Premium Member
2021 Mustang Mach-E Star White RWD/ER Premium
1,946 Posts
I'm on my third charge using the Juice Box. I set my Ford Pass to 80% twice and both times it stopped at 80%. I then reset it to 100% and it's currently charging from 80% to 100%. I'm at 244V, 9.55 kW, on the charge in an enclosed garage at 65 degrees F. My PaaK has performed as expected except for one dropped Bluetooth connection and today at my son's house I was in the house at a front facing window and the MMe side lights illuminated indicating that it sensed the phone from approximately 20+ feet away. I'm carrying a Galaxy S20. I haven't used Android Auto so I'm unable to comment on the compatibility.
My last two short trips around town I averaged 3.7 miles per kWh up from 3.3 per. I'm scheduled for a 720 mile round trip in a few weeks where the posted speeds are 70-75-80 MPH and elevation climbs from 2300 to 6600 feet. I'll report on my trip when I return the first week of April.
As with every ICE vehicle that I have owned there are somethings that one manufacturer does better and some things that are lacking. I expect that BEV manufacturers will be the same in that some will have a faster/better charge curve but shorter range some will have a greater range but the roofs will blow off. The current state of the BEV market is, with the exception of Tesla and companies making compliance EVs, is that most of the "really neat stuff' will be first year vehicles and for "Old Farts" like me if I waited for three years of production to sort out the tech bugs my daily transportation might end up being an assisted living van.
A long time friend and Tesla Model 3 owner visited and spent time doing an "inspection" of my MMe checking out the paint, seams, interior and ride and he couldn't stop commenting on the exceptional quality of the Mach-E vs the Mod. 3. Naturally I was in complete agreement with his astute observations (LOL). I'm very sorry to hear of the problems some of you are having and hopefully they will be handled in an expeditious manner and I hope that my positive experience continues.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
With the historically high buffer grab (to preserve the battery) you are correct 30% degradation warranty just went to 41%. I do not think that 40% degradation will be realized based on past bev's history and you may have full range at 8 years if ford feeds back that buffer. After 8 years it is time to bolt up a new solid state pack.
We are in the warmup stages of this game. My car, 2 days after pickup has less than 15 miles on it (awaiting ceramic coating before entering service). At this moment, with no additional charge curve updates/enhancements, the MME meets our needs. We would not have purchased it otherwise.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
We are in the warmup stages of this game. My car, 2 days after pickup has less than 15 miles on it (awaiting ceramic coating before entering service). At this moment, with no additional charge curve updates/enhancements, the MME meets our needs. We would not have purchased it otherwise.
15 miles in two days: for sure it meets your needs!

Just kidding and good luck with the ceramic coating!

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
I'm on my third charge using the Juice Box. I set my Ford Pass to 80% twice and both times it stopped at 80%. I then reset it to 100% and it's currently charging from 80% to 100%. I'm at 244V, 9.55 kW, on the charge in an enclosed garage at 65 degrees F. My PaaK has performed as expected except for one dropped Bluetooth connection and today at my son's house I was in the house at a front facing window and the MMe side lights illuminated indicating that it sensed the phone from approximately 20+ feet away. I'm carrying a Galaxy S20. I haven't used Android Auto so I'm unable to comment on the compatibility.
My last two short trips around town I averaged 3.7 miles per kWh up from 3.3 per. I'm scheduled for a 720 mile round trip in a few weeks where the posted speeds are 70-75-80 MPH and elevation climbs from 2300 to 6600 feet. I'll report on my trip when I return the first week of April.
As with every ICE vehicle that I have owned there are somethings that one manufacturer does better and some things that are lacking. I expect that BEV manufacturers will be the same in that some will have a faster/better charge curve but shorter range some will have a greater range but the roofs will blow off. The current state of the BEV market is, with the exception of Tesla and companies making compliance EVs, is that most of the "really neat stuff' will be first year vehicles and for "Old Farts" like me if I waited for three years of production to sort out the tech bugs my daily transportation might end up being an assisted living van.
A long time friend and Tesla Model 3 owner visited and spent time doing an "inspection" of my MMe checking out the paint, seams, interior and ride and he couldn't stop commenting on the exceptional quality of the Mach-E vs the Mod. 3. Naturally I was in complete agreement with his astute observations (LOL). I'm very sorry to hear of the problems some of you are having and hopefully they will be handled in an expeditious manner and I hope that my positive experience continues.
PS: The charging is at 100% and shows 277 mile range, that's the good news. The bad news is in the attached photos. See the battery and wrench icon, it indicates AWD or Drivetrain Failure. Since I don't have AWD, I'll be contacting the dealer in the morning. So much for no problems 😖
20210307_163729.jpg
20210307_163957.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, being the Engineer that I am, I'm not really happy sharing issues I'm seeing because we should give the Ford Engineers time work them out first. If they don't respond in a reasonable time, then the issue (s) should be put on Social Media. I have had this done to me and I did not like it. I never got a change to look at the issue before it was announced to upper management. This is a brand new car and I would be surprised it there were not issues. Does anyone know where on the Ford website I can give them my experience I have so far?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
PS: The charging is at 100% and shows 277 mile range, that's the good news. The bad news is in the attached photos. See the battery and wrench icon, it indicates AWD or Drivetrain Failure. Since I don't have AWD, I'll be contacting the dealer in the morning. So much for no problems 😖 View attachment 4627 View attachment 4626
Very, very sorry to see/hear that.

I assume you tried to restart/reboot, correct?

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
Very, very sorry to see/hear that.

I assume you tried to restart/reboot, correct?
The vehicle motor runs but the Ford Pass messages state that "a powertrain fault / malfunction has been detected and to contact the dealer". I'm waiting until I speak with a service tech.

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
The vehicle motor runs but the Ford Pass messages state that "a powertrain fault / malfunction has been detected and to contact the dealer". I'm waiting until I speak with a service tech.
Third time's the charm. Tried again and this time no warning. My money is on the dealer not having a clue.
20210307_185126.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is a common problem reported elsewhere on the forum that isn't necessarily related to powertrain issues but to a transient comms failure between various modules. Apparently this requires a visit from a Ford Service Engineer to update firmware for numerous modules - it's not currently dealer serviceable. My dealer is attempting to chase this up and my hope is that Ford will do better with this than their initial response that a software update in May will deal with this but that it is safe to drive. Since I've had multiple collision avoidance system failures that are also likely due to the same root cause, to me this is a safety issue.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Is this not a classic example of "First year of production" glitches?

No matter how many test miles are driven, how good the computer modeling is, there have always been and imo there will always be first year production glitches.

The latest being taking 45 minutes on a DCFC to go from 20% to 80% charge, but almost an additional two hours to go from 80% to 100%. This I think is nothing more than a software glitch that eventually will cleared up by an OTA update. But until then, on a road trip, you are losing 20% of your range.
Ford published a 45 minute to 80% charge time from the beginning. So no surprise there.

The last 20% is purposely throttled to 12kW. I hope Ford changes this to a more ‘normal’ curve.

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
I think we call that "rebooting!"
If it was a reboot it should have worked when I unplugged started, shut down and started the second time. If it takes hours of down time and three attempts to reboot it's useless.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
If it was a reboot it should have worked when I unplugged started, shut down and started the second time. If it takes hours of down time and three attempts to reboot it's useless.
This is documented in the ‘software calibration’ recall.
Do not use remote start, and do not use scheduled departure for now. That is, until you get your software updated. Apparently, those features could set this off.
I hope this ‘software calibration’ fixes your issue, and its not something new.

I have my MME for 2 weeks now, this is the list of issues I have.
-Bluetooth drops all the time (I am on a call for 2-5 minutes and it drops)
-car cannot decide if it should use android auto or call
-when using android auto, it wont allow calls over apps (propably an android auto issue)
-the map does not automatically show near charges in regards to current charging status (I see everywhere adds that it would do that)
-the phone and key does only work when it wants
-the presets on the screen change all the time
-ford pass charging wont allow me to activate in the app

I am using a Brand new Samsung S21

I reset and installed everything yesterday which includes rebooting sync, reseting car, deleting ford pass app and redoing everyting. It did not fix anything. I will call Ford on Monday and make an appointment
This is from my experience: if you have Android Auto (or Carplay) active, you have to use that software to control the phone. You cannot have the car Bluetooth phone link and AA(CP) controlling the phone features at the same time. If you activate Bluetooth, it will disconnect AA(CP). And vice-versa.
When using AA(CP), press and hold the face button on the right side till you hear the Alexa (or Siri) chime. Then just use voice commands.

From what I have seen, the Built-in navigation only shows chargers when you enter a route. Or, if the car range falls below the SoC you set in the big screen. It is otherwise littered with Points-of-interest. I haven’t had the time to play with the navigation too much.

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
This is documented in the ‘software calibration’ recall.
Do not use remote start, and do not use scheduled departure for now. That is, until you get your software updated. Apparently, those features could set this off.
I hope this ‘software calibration’ fixes your issue, and its not something new.

This is from my experience: if you have Android Auto (or Carplay) active, you have to use that software to control the phone. You cannot have the car Bluetooth phone link and AA(CP) controlling the phone features at the same time. If you activate Bluetooth, it will disconnect AA(CP). And vice-versa.
When using AA(CP), press and hold the face button on the right side till you hear the Alexa (or Siri) chime. Then just use voice commands.

From what I have seen, the Built-in navigation only shows chargers when you enter a route. Or, if the car range falls below the SoC you set in the big screen. It is otherwise littered with Points-of-interest. I haven’t had the time to play with the navigation too much.
Wow, thank you and your post is an example of why this forum has been and continues to be a major support location.
I rarely use AA but I do occasionally utilize the remote functions. I'll ask the dealer about the calibration recall since I haven't received anything along that line.
Again thank you for taking the time to address the issue.
Bob

·
Registered
74 Posts
Might it be that the vast majority of people who have taken delivery are completely satisfied and are out driving their new cars and not spending as much time on this forum? The few that are having issues (as frustrating as that is) are voicing their complaints (rightfully so) and the rest of you here are getting the impression that this is a "problem " car. As someone who took delivery and has been driving daily including a 300 mile road trip with a fast charging stop that went flawlessly, I can tell you that this is a great car and I have no regrets...period.
You have a point...I'm getting cold feet just reading about the issues people are having. I am also driving something of a 1st production year vehicle - GMC Yukon AT4 (the AT4 is what's new) - and I just dropped it off at the dealership for the 3rd time in 4 months of owning it. I'm not interested in repeating this experience. I have reserved a GT Mme, so I should have a good amount of time before I need to decide.

81 - 100 of 133 Posts