Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mach-E tires are quite narrow, on lower trims its 225 wide and 245 on the GT Performance Edition. Does anyone think they could be much wider and can recommend specific sizes to go with? Along with how range and performance would be impacted? I suspect the narrow size was to improve range.

Mach-E Extended Range
  • 225/60R18
  • 225/55R19
Mach-E Extended Range AWD
  • 225/55R18
  • 225/55R19
  • 245/45R20
Mach-E Standard Range
  • 225/60R18
  • 225/55R19

·
Registered
340 Posts
Unless you plan to track it, I'm not sure what you'll gain. Maybe your tires will wear more slowly by a small percentage, at the cost of range (and likely more expensive tires).

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm getting a GT, and will put 255's on it. Range is not important to me, and I want max cornering gas. Looking at the Michelin Crosstour 2 for winter, and Bridgestone RE71R's for summer.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm getting a GT, and will put 255's on it. Range is not important to me, and I want max cornering gas. Looking at the Michelin Crosstour 2 for winter, and Bridgestone RE71R's for summer.
I bet that will hold true for a larger portion of GT owners than others. Are you planning to get in some track time?

Interestingly, the Mach-E 1400 race car has 225's up front. I was expecting it to be wider but good to see Ford kept it like the production models.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bet that will hold true for a larger portion of GT owners than others. Are you planning to get in some track time?

Interestingly, the Mach-E 1400 race car has 225's up front. I was expecting it to be wider but good to see Ford kept it like the production models.
View attachment 3687
Yes, I'll be competing with it. Horsepower is for straights, torque is for corners.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Only reason I've ever had to go wider was issue with road rash on rims. The Tesla tires are the first I've ever had where the rim sticks out past the tire and wheels get scraped all the time. Road rash is big complaint of first time Model 3 buyers.

Kyle on OutofSpec noted that while the MachE tires were narrow the did cover extend over the wheel.

If Ford says accel and braking distances work with the OEM size, I would not change it for a bigger footprint tire as that will cost efficiency and range.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1/4 mile times won't be impressive...0-60 will be slightly better. But neither interests me...corner exit speed does.
GCR did note that "on the slalom course, the Mach-E cornered flat and remained balanced." and "on every turn, heard the rear tires squealing well before the fronts—perhaps reflecting the car’s more powerful rear motor and rear-wheel-drive bias" It will be great to see how you can improve on that.

·
Registered
2021 Mach-E Premium Standard Range RWD Shadow Black
18 Posts
I'm considering getting wider tires for traction after I make sure that there isn't a huge range penalty. I'm also not a fan of how skinny the stock tires look.

·
Super Moderator
2,705 Posts
I'm considering getting wider tires for traction after I make sure that there isn't a huge range penalty. I'm also not a fan of how skinny the stock tires look.
View attachment 3760
Because the wheels are 24” high, they look narrower than they actually are. They are almost 9” wide.

·
Registered
2021 Mach-E Premium Standard Range RWD Shadow Black
18 Posts
Because the wheels are 24” high, they look narrower than they actually are. They are almost 9” wide.
Yeah, I'll just have to see it in person. For now, all I can do is look at pictures and hit reload on my order page waiting for a production date.

·
Super Moderator
2,705 Posts
Yeah, I'll just have to see it in person. For now, all I can do is look at pictures and hit reload on my order page waiting for a production date.
lol, they do look like the spare donut in the picture.

·
Premium Member
2021 Mustang Mach-E Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,105 Posts
At the risk of once again mentioning the "prehistoric" tire period, when I was drag racing at the National Speedway out on Long Island, "racing slicks" were 7inches wide.

·
Registered
108 Posts
On second thought, I'll probably try to stuff 265mm Michelin Pilot Sport EV tires into the wheel wells, on 9.5"x20" rims. However, the Pirellis that come on the GTPE are bespoke, so they may be the way to go, but I'd bump 'em up to 265mm. The Michelins won't be available until this fall, but they promise 30% greater efficiency. They're built specifically for ev sports cars, with stiffer sidewalls, harder center tread and softer outer tread. They're also designed to withstand an ev's greater weight and torque. We'll see...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts