Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess my biggest concern is Ford dropping support as far as software updates on the Mach-E which would force you to trade-in for a newer model. Is anyone else concerned about this or do you think Ford continue to support older models regardless of redesigns/model refreshers?

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
I guess my biggest concern is Ford dropping support as far as software updates on the Mach-E which would force you to trade-in for a newer model. Is anyone else concerned about this or do you think Ford continue to support older models regardless of redesigns/model refreshers?
The original Ford Sync system was introduced in 2007. It was in production for seven years (including its Ford MyTouch variants). Ford supported the last cars to use it for five years after purchase (last support ended in 2019). Every iteration of updates were specific to model years and system versions. Not the most efficient model by any means.

Sync 3 was released 2014. And is in use through this model-year 2020. Ford will probably also support this system for another five years (my assumption). It was more ubiquitous between models and years than the previous Sync version, making the systems updates more streamlined.

Sync 4 (and 4a) however, is a different game altogether. It integrates in almost every aspect of the vehicle. It has continued opportunity for revenue to Ford, with software purchases such as the CoPilot360 Active Driver Assist functionality. OtA bug fixes and component updates save money in warranty repairs. In contrast, updating the code for older versions of Sync is a big support expense, with revenue streams pretty much limited to nav map updates.

Because of this, In my opinion, I believe Ford’s support of Sync 4 will exceed its predecessors 11-12 year support cycles. This is, of course, is physically limited by the hardware of the vehicle years. Some features introduced during that time just may not work on older cars. Just like iPhone iOS releases,

References: Wikipedia, Ford

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think bug fixes and safety issues will get updates basically for a "reasonable" life of the vehicle (say ~15 years).
Premium features like autonomous driving may require payment or subscription (I'm really hoping that Ford provides at the updates free of charge for the early adopters).
Some features that are under the covers that are not bug, safety... related may be free of charge during the warranty period.

Think of the MME like a personal or server computer. At some point, when there aren't too many older systems left in the field, Ford is not going to put resource into any additional enhancements unless it's applicable to another, newer BEV that can be rolled down to the MME.

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
I think bug fixes and safety issues will get updates basically for a "reasonable" life of the vehicle (say ~15 years).
Premium features like autonomous driving may require payment or subscription (I'm really hoping that Ford provides at the updates free of charge for the early adopters).
Some features that are under the covers that are not bug, safety... related may be free of charge during the warranty period.

Think of the MME like a personal or server computer. At some point, when there aren't too many older systems left in the field, Ford is not going to put resource into any additional enhancements unless it's applicable to another, newer BEV that can be rolled down to the MME.
Yup. I agree. We may get core updates of Sync4/4a as long as its in use. But our benefit diminishes as the car ages.
The thing is, Sync 4 will be in millions of cars in MY 2021 and beyond. So we shouldn’t have to worry about this for some time.

revenue stream will also help longevity. Ford hinted at purchased customizations, apps, games, etc. play a bit of Tetris or trivia while at a charger? Don’t be surprised if it comes to pass.

PS - I personally want pac-man, one of my old favorites!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yup. I agree. We may get core updates of Sync4/4a as long as its in use. But our benefit diminishes as the car ages.
The thing is, Sync 4 will be in millions of cars in MY 2021 and beyond. So we shouldn’t have to worry about this for some time.

revenue stream will also help longevity. Ford hinted at purchased customizations, apps, games, etc. play a bit of Tetris or trivia while at a charger? Don’t be surprised if it comes to pass.

PS - I personally want pac-man, one of my old favorites!
If we ever get to L4 Autonomous driving in my lifetime (I think the technology will be there but legislation... whole different issue), I could see Ford partnering with... say... Roku.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Over time, Ford will eventually stop making updates to older revisions - just like cell phones and any other software ever created. Supporting and updating software for older hardware can get expensive, and even if ford starts making you pay for updates eventually the ROI isn't worth it. Nonetheless the support will likely be on the order of a decade or more. Even when they stop adding features and fixing bugs, that doesn't mean your car stops working- any more than it means an older phone or tablet stops working when apple/samsung/google stops putting patches out. It won't be able to do new things, but the old things it did will still work.

·
Registered
2012 Ford Focus SEL Hatchback / 2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Select RWD SR
75 Posts
My 2012 focus got Sync update during 5 years and I got 4 of them. One feature added and minor bug fixes. I don't expect the mach-e to get more than that because of hardware. As long as they fixe major bug during these time I'm okay with that. I still need to reset the configuration each 3 month because the Bluetooth stop working for no reason...

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
If we ever get to L4 Autonomous driving in my lifetime (I think the technology will be there but legislation... whole different issue), I could see Ford partnering with... say... Roku.
Heck, they could partner now with companies like Roku or Netflix , just only allow the app if the car is in park. Catch up with your favorite shows as you charge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts