Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would prevent you from using Apple Car Play via Bluetooth?

I just took delivery on 12/1 and on the way home, I set my iPhone 12 in the console. It seemed like it connected to my phone without really having to do anything. Later, I set some other things up (Phone as key, and Alexa via Amazon Prime), and now Car Play will not work unless I connect with a USB.

Is it possible that Phone as key and / or Alexa prevent me from using Apple Car Play via Bluetooth?

· Registered
46 Posts
CarPlay uses wifi not bluetooth. Mine connects as soon as I start the car and I use PAAK and Alexa. In fact one annoyance with CarPlay is that it automatically starts playing the last thing I was playing on my phone as soon as it connects even if I am trying to listen to the car FM radio.

· Registered
122 Posts
CarPlay uses wifi not bluetooth. Mine connects as soon as I start the car and I use PAAK and Alexa. In fact one annoyance with CarPlay is that it automatically starts playing the last thing I was playing on my phone as soon as it connects even if I am trying to listen to the car FM radio.
Hmmm my car play connects right away also but never plays my phone, always the car radio. (But i never listen to music on my phone)

· Premium Member
2022 GT, Red-metallic
102 Posts
Actually it uses both: "CarPlay uses Bluetooth to set up the connection between the phone and the vehicle and then it switches to use the WiFi for the actual functionality."
I have phone-as-a-key set up and this does not affect CarPlay. I do not have Alexa on in the car, but I would doubt that is a problem.
Make sure your phone is paired via Bluetooth and that WiFi is on. Maybe, you should forget the Bluetooth connection and set it up again?

· Registered
4 Posts
What would prevent you from using Apple Car Play via Bluetooth?

I just took delivery on 12/1 and on the way home, I set my iPhone 12 in the console. It seemed like it connected to my phone without really having to do anything. Later, I set some other things up (Phone as key, and Alexa via Amazon Prime), and now Car Play will not work unless I connect with a USB.

Is it possible that Phone as key and / or Alexa prevent me from using Apple Car Play via Bluetooth?
Try forcing a connect via wireless when your phone is NOT on the charger. I find that if the phone is on a charger (I put a mag puck in my car because the built in charger bakes my phone - iPhone 12 Pro Max) the car gets confused and won't connect wireless.

Also, try forgetting the car on the phone and deleting it from the phones list on the car, restarting Sync, and then re-pairing. The equivalent of "kicking it"...

· Registered
30 Posts
In fact one annoyance with CarPlay is that it automatically starts playing the last thing I was playing on my phone as soon as it connects even if I am trying to listen to the car FM radio.
I found a solution to this annoyance. It’s really a CarPlay problem / setting but you can set up an Automation where the Iphone pauses when it connects to CarPlay. It was annoying to hear something on the radio but then get interrupted 10 secs later when CarPlay connects

1 - 6 of 6 Posts