Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short answer, yes, electric cars are and always will be better for the environment. This covers a lot of great points on what makes them better, for anyone that isn't entirely convinced. In got even better in recent years with dirty energy production taking a dive (coal was hit hard).

·
Registered
75 Posts
There's no question EVs are better for the environment. Especially as more and more energy used to charge EVs is based on solar/wind/water.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Its crazy to see that renewable energy produced more electricity than coal for the first time this year.
Interesting chart --- but it was not Renewable Energy that reduced Coal energy production.
The Natural Gas boom of the last few years provided a very low cost energy source that coal could not match.
Fossil fuels --- Natural Gas / Coal production will still be the over whelming source of Electrical Production for many years.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Personally I run my house and charge my car from my roof (I still have to buy 15% from grid because local government will not allow me to go 100% self sufficient). And in CA. where I live, this is pretty much standard now.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
994 Posts
Interesting chart --- but it was not Renewable Energy that reduced Coal energy production.
The Natural Gas boom of the last few years provided a very low cost energy source that coal could not match.
Fossil fuels --- Natural Gas / Coal production will still be the over whelming source of Electrical Production for many years.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
Right. Two things going on in that chart: the slow rise in renewables and the rapid drop in coal. Yes, coal's biggest hit has been cheap petroleum gas.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
994 Posts
Personally I run my house and charge my car from my roof (I still have to buy 15% from grid because local government will not allow me to go 100% self sufficient). And in CA. where I live, this is pretty much standard now.
In our case we have too many trees for rooftop solar to pay, so we have 70% from a community solar project and the rest from a local wind supplier.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
755 Posts
I love the idea of renewables however with an electric bill averaging under $100 per month, my electricity comes from NV Power at a discount due to an EV auto. I have little doubt that the future will be less and less dependent on Fossil fuels. I come from an era of leaded gasoline, blue smoking exhaust pipes, black smoke from industrial smoke stacks, waterways subject to catching fire due to the open dumping of chemicals in the water and coal fired furnaces in homes. We've come along way, much further than many others and I believe that we will continue to move forward.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maric, I have been able to get 100% of my usage from solar power on my roof (in CA) while charging one PHEV now. We'll see when I add a BEV charging at home also.Still connected to the grid since storage technology is not nearly price competitive yet, but it will get there soon enough.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
708 Posts
And do not forget, after hard driving at 70 mph the white dust from the lead on the dual exhaust of my 1966 Ford Mustang GT!

·
Registered
4 Posts
A good way for a new person entering the EV scene to be good for the environment is to buy a used EV. That way, new car input parts are not consumed during the build of the car you buy. New cars do have to be built, however buyers all don't have to buy a new car.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A good way for a new person entering the EV scene to be good for the environment is to buy a used EV. That way, new car input parts are not consumed during the build of the car you buy. New cars do have to be built, however buyers all don't have to buy a new car.
I completely agree as long as it has a good warranty term...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts