Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I considered plastic dipping my wheels just because I preferred the look of the California route one wheels and I wish that Ford would have given an option. When I had my paint protection film installed the tint guy suggested doing a powder coat on the wheels and I think it looks really good with the red. The cost was $650 so it was quite expensive but not as much as buying new wheels. He would have vinyl coated them for $325 but I don't think that would last.

·
Registered
70 Posts
View attachment 4463 View attachment 4464 I considered plastic dipping my wheels just because I preferred the look of the California route one wheels and I wish that Ford would have given an option. When I had my paint protection film installed the tint guy suggested doing a powder coat on the wheels and I think it looks really good with the red. The cost was $650 so it was quite expensive but not as much as buying new wheels. He would have vinyl coated them for $325 but I don't think that would last.
I went with powdercoat at $160/wheel. The advantage of powdercoat is its toughness...after 4 years my wheels look brand new. Remember that you MUST clearcoat any wheel with a strong color, otherwise the sun's UV will fade the color over time. The wheels you see in this shot have 3 coats...two of the color and one layer of clearcoat. Not many powdercoaters can do this, because it requires more amperage at the facility to do three coats.

·
Registered
199 Posts
View attachment 4463
I considered plastic dipping my wheels just because I preferred the look of the California route one wheels and I wish that Ford would have given an option. When I had my paint protection film installed the tint guy suggested doing a powder coat on the wheels and I think it looks really good with the red. The cost was $650 so it was quite expensive but not as much as buying new wheels. He would have vinyl coated them for $325 but I don't think that would last.
$650 for powder four wheels is not a bad price. I know my other car locally I got a quote of around $800. I think it looks great.

·
Super Moderator
2,262 Posts
View attachment 4463 View attachment 4464 I considered plastic dipping my wheels just because I preferred the look of the California route one wheels and I wish that Ford would have given an option. When I had my paint protection film installed the tint guy suggested doing a powder coat on the wheels and I think it looks really good with the red. The cost was $650 so it was quite expensive but not as much as buying new wheels. He would have vinyl coated them for $325 but I don't think that would last.
It wasn’t a thought. But after seeing the photo with the black rims, I’m seriously considering it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most definitely. My detailer said he could even paint the brake calipers but I think I will skip that. After a front PPF, ceramic coating and powder coating the wheels the cost is getting pretty high.

·
Super Moderator
2,262 Posts
Most definitely. My detailer said he could even paint the brake calipers but I think I will skip that. After a front PPF, ceramic coating and powder coating the wheels the cost is getting pretty high.
Its a labor of love...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts