Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Ford Explorer 2017 AWD Limited
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently talked to my dealer about purchasing the Ford charger so I could install it before I received my Mach E. I was disappointed that the chargers would not be available until April 2021. Fortunately there is an alternative, the Chargepoint Home Flex System. Bad planning on Fords part not to have the charger available when you receive your car.

·
Registered
Model 3 -> Mach-E First Edition
89 Posts
Without them announcing anything about what makes the Ford charger special beyond seeing energy use in FordPass, I'm perfectly happy to use the 240V charger it comes with for free. The difference between them in power output is so minimal for most use cases.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have a 240V Chargepoint (wall plug edition) that we bought to use with my Fusion Energy. We bought it on amazon, and had a local electrician install the 240V outlet in the garage to plug it into. It works like a charm and I don’t se any reason to upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
929 Posts
I have been using a Juice Box 40 for my Fusion Energi PHEV. I am very pleased with the information provided by the App and a daily notification (my setting) of my plug in time for lower electricity rate times. I already had a 240v 50 Amp outlet so it was a hang up and plug in operation. The unit is well constructed and available on Amazon. I will be utilizing my Ford mobile cord for travel.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
872 Posts
Just an opinion:

I find the 32 amp 240 volt EVSE that comes with the MME more than sufficient for my needs.

However, if you plan to get a larger charging unit, make sure it is UL certified. The last think you want, is to have a problem which could lead to fire and then have your insurance company deny your claim because the EVSE was not UL certified.

So if you go to Amazon make sure the unit is UL certified: Some brands in addition to Juice Box and ChargePoint are Siemens, Leviton and Bosch.

I think the extra you pay to have a unit UL certified is worth the money.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt -> Mach-E Premium
6 Posts
Like some others here, we have also been using the Juicebox 40. installed for my Chevy Bolt about 3 years ago. It will be what stays in our garage for both the Mustang Mach-E and eventually a second BEV in our near future :)

20201104_122714.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just installed a Chargepoint Flex plug-in. Wanted to go hardwired but since it wasn't recommended to go up to 60A, it was easier to just get an outlet installed. I prefer to have a fixed station/setup and keep the mobile charger in the car for on-the-go top-ups.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts