Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I see that the range shrinks about 10% if choosing the AWD option (270 miles instead of 300 with the bigger battery). I chose the RWD option mostly for that reason (if we ever take it on longer trips, an extra 30 miles could end up saving an entire charging stop, which would be huge). But then I got to thinking about it. I get that adding the 2nd motor is going to use more juice to provide better acceleration, but I wonder if that really drains more at steady highway speeds?

For in-town driving (lots of start-stop where the 2nd motor would drain more from better acceleration), losing 10% doesn't matter since I'm just recharging in the garage at home nightly anyway (270 is plenty). But if one is taking a long trip at highway speeds, will we really lose that 10%? I wonder if that 10% range drop is really just a result of using combined city/highway calculation?

But on the other hand, there's almost no braking regen on long highway trips, so maybe it's actually worse than 270?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Regenerative charging does/can occur on the highway by just letting up on the "gas" pedal. Driven a hybrid since 2007 and PHEV since 2018. Actually recharged the PHEV HVB battery from 20% to 90% while driving on the interstate and without stopping! There are some tricks and hints to make this occur-mostly where there is rolling or more terrain.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But that's just shifting from the hybrid gas engine, right? In other words, in a pure BEV all the power ultimately comes from the batteries, so unless you're going downhill there's no way you're putting more juice in than you're taking out (a net gain). You might get little short regen stints on the down part of rolling hills but only from what you took out to climb up the hill in the first place (unlike a hybrid where gas may get you up the hill, thus you get a net gain recharge of the batteries).

·
Registered
118 Posts
I will NEVER drive anything that is NOT AWD. It has a much better, safer driving experience especially on long drives. Bad weather especially but in dry weather I want to make a quick lane change I think and the whole car moves almost sideways.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I will NEVER drive anything that is NOT AWD. It has a much better, safer driving experience especially on long drives. Bad weather especially but in dry weather I want to make a quick lane change I think and the whole car moves almost sideways.
With most of my cars, if I have the option of AWD I got and get it. It makes such a big difference if you live in a place with bad weather. If I lived somewhere that's always sunny then I'd get RWD.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did find the specs on the motors noted in one of the review videos. All models have a 210 kw motor on the rear axle. AWD models add a 59 kw motor to the front axle, while the GT adds a 210 in the front. That's why the GT gets the 3.5 second 0-60 speed while the regular AWD doesn't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts