Ford Mustang Mach-E -- News & Community Group, Join ... banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd take this with a grain of salt because the British tabloids like AutoExpress pretty well just make up anything, but the report is that a baby Mach-E is coming.
Apparently it would use a VW platform borrowed from the ID3.

The Ford Mustang Mach-E range is set to expand with a smaller SUV, and our exclusive images preview how it could look
Ford is aiming to use its tie-up with Volkswagen on electric vehicleplatforms to expand the range of Mustang EVs beyond the recently revealed Mach-E, Auto Express understands.
The US manufacturer caused a storm in November when it revealed the Mustang Mach-E as its first bespoke EV. High-level sources have indicated that Ford is already considering expanding the family to appeal to a wider range of customers.
• New Ford Mustang Mach-E: full details, specs and pics
Speaking to Auto Express, Ford of Europe’s Chief Designer Murat Gueler said: “The Mustang influence wasn’t considered until an earlier direction with the car wasn’t really working. Once we introduced Mustang as inspiration, it came together quickly. We’re really excited by what this brings to the electric car, and yes we have already talked about expansion, to some sort of family.”

Ford already has a plan for smaller EVs – based on an agreement with the VW Group to license its MEB all-electric vehicle platform. But we understand that in early November executives and engineers from Ford met VW counterparts to discuss how the new architecture – which underpins the ID.3 – could be adapted to better fit Ford’s needs.

A particular area raised during the talks is said to be the position of the front bulkhead and cowl – the base of the windscreen, in effect. VW has pushed the cowl relatively far forward, lengthening the gap between the steering wheel and the base of the screen to help fit the augmented-reality head-up display tech from the ID.3. This makes the bonnet quite short, so it’s harder for Ford to create a smaller model with the stance, roofline and profile of a Mustang.

Ted Cannis, global director of electrification at Ford, told us: “It’s key that we have enough flexibility, and it’s important to have enough differentiation and the kind of performance you expect from a Ford. A lot of that was done in the early part of the negotiations with VW. The parameters that we’ve seen, we can make a great Ford.”

Our exclusive images show how a baby Mustang EV could look on the shorter wheelbase of the MEB platform, mixing an aggressive roofline with typical cues around the front and rear lights.

Gueler told us that any smaller Mustang EV would have a different profile than the Mach-E, but the vehicle would almost certainly be a crossover in any case.

The MEB platform can support rear- and four-wheel drive, and it’s likely that Ford would offer both layouts and a number of different battery sizes. That could give the baby Mustang EV up to 302bhp and a 300-mile range.

The deciding factor on badging the smaller EV as a Mustang could be customer reception to the Mach-E. Resistance to the badge – which replaces all Ford branding on the Mach-E – could yet lead to a rethink on how to somehow mix the latest arrivals with the existing model in an EV family.

baby mustang mach-e

baby mach-e

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't want to see a "Baby Mach-E" but would love to see an MEB-based vehicle in the US that Ford builds.

What we will most likely see is a Ford Fusion EV based on the Mach-E's skateboard in like 2022 since the current Fusion is slated to end no earlier than end of 2021.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Can't wait to see what Ford Motor Co will do with Rivian's platform under Lincoln...

"...we know that Ford is working on other EVs, including one that will reportedly be Lincoln branded and roll on the Rivian skateboard platform..."

Ideally, I think it should be something sized between the Mach-E and Lincoln Aviator.

·
Registered
200 Posts
But Ford is killing off all USA cars except the Mustang.
True, although I'd characterize that more as "consumer demand is killing off cars in the USA". In favor of SUVs and trucks.

I have no interest in anything smaller than the Mach-e, but I would have interest in something a little bigger and more SUV-like. Like this:

The problem is Ford will probably use up their $7500 tax credit quota before then.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Can't wait to see what Ford Motor Co will do with Rivian's platform under Lincoln...

"...we know that Ford is working on other EVs, including one that will reportedly be Lincoln branded and roll on the Rivian skateboard platform..."

Ideally, I think it should be something sized between the Mach-E and Lincoln Aviator.
While the Rivian and other larger BEV vehicles look great in theory, after what I've been researching about charging times I really wonder how practical they are. It's gonna take a looooong time to charge a 180 kWh battery.

Although I did read that they're using different battery cells than most other BEV makers, that deliver more power from less size. Which makes me tempted to hold off for a couple of years and see if other BEV models will get better batteries too.

If I do end up following through on my Mach-e reservation and get the vehicle, I don't want it to be a temporary place-holder. It would be a 'forever' vehicle. Especially at 60 grand.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If I do end up following through on my Mach-e reservation and get the vehicle, I don't want it to be a temporary place-holder. It would be a 'forever' vehicle. Especially at 60 grand.
If you want the Mach-e to be a "forever" vehicle, you should only look at how well it fits your needs today, not how it will compare to future electric vehicles.

EVs are still very new and you can be certain that their technology will progress in leaps and bounds over the following years. So, if for some reason for you this means you will be compelled to switch cars (and you don't want to do that) then this is probably not the best time to buy an EV.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you want the Mach-e to be a "forever" vehicle, you should only look at how well it fits your needs today, not how it will compare to future electric vehicles.

EVs are still very new and you can be certain that their technology will progress in leaps and bounds over the following years. So, if for some reason for you this means you will be compelled to switch cars (and you don't want to do that) then this is probably not the best time to buy an EV.
Yeah, that's the rub. The Mach-e should be great as our daily home-base vehicle (<100 miles). And that's 95% of our driving. When we go on a road trip away from home, or even just have a drive over maybe 150 miles, we'll take the Escape instead. That works fine. And accepting that realization allows me to save $5000 by not getting the ER battery too. ;)

It's just a little annoying that a $55k vehicle won't work well for road trips. But even somewhat longer range and somewhat faster charging wouldn't change that for our usual road trip (785 miles Denver to Vegas), so it probably wouldn't make a difference anyway. Those would have to improve a LOT. That's just the nature of BEVs -- great for home-base vehicles (if you have a garage to charge every night), but extremely compromising for lengthy high-speed road trips. Just need to accept that limitation and get used to it. It's only a small % of total driving anyway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
A mandated charging standard of CCS as in Europe would force Tesla to change and "could" open their system up for ours. We all need more fast chargers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
True, although I'd characterize that more as "consumer demand is killing off cars in the USA". In favor of SUVs and trucks.

I have no interest in anything smaller than the Mach-e, but I would have interest in something a little bigger and more SUV-like. Like this:

The problem is Ford will probably use up their $7500 tax credit quota before then.
Lincoln electric SUV are coming and I believe this could be it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
So if the Mach-E is similar in size to the Escape, do you think this "baby" Mach-E will be like the EcoSport?

·
Registered
221 Posts
So if the Mach-E is similar in size to the Escape, do you think this "baby" Mach-E will be like the EcoSport?
Yes.

The current EcoSport is new to us but old to eastern and southern regions of the world. Eventually a next-gen will be offered and an EV could be seen as a top of the range EcoSport. Basically the next step you take if an EcoSport with more to it is what you want.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes.

The current EcoSport is new to us but old to eastern and southern regions of the world. Eventually a next-gen will be offered and an EV could be seen as a top of the range EcoSport. Basically the next step you take if an EcoSport with more to it is what you want.
Ok that makes sense, because the only other way I guess would be to have it slightly bigger than the EcoSport and wedge it between the EcoSport and the Mach-E/Escape.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts