Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Arizona with many 100+ days. I leave the car plugged in, but have my charging time set to a narrow band mid day. After a drive on a very hot day, I’ll sometimes get a message, it’s hot, plug car in when not in use. The car is almost always plugged in.
I’ve never seen any indication the car is doing something to condition the battery in this heat. I’ve seen it run the fan if I’m charging and it’s very hot, but never any fan, or even a few clicks from the car to let me know it’s doing something when it’s not charging. Is it supposed to do something?

·
Registered
"Shadowfax" 2021 Star White Select AWD
121 Posts
We in the frozen north have the opposite situation in the winter.

It seems like you answered your own question, when you plug in it runs the fan to cool the batteries, just as the car is asking you to do. When not plugged in it won't use up your battery to self cool. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

·
Registered
203 Posts
In my 100+ degree garage charging, I smelled burning plastic last night, and then unplugged the charge handle was uber hot and I got a little spooked. Hope it was just a fluke and not dangerous.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I’m reading that leaving your car plugged into your at home charger could drain the 12v battery. What gives? Is the car supposed to be left plugged into the charger all the time? Conditioning the battery? Draining the battery? What’s a person to do?

·
Registered
2021 ME FE Grabber Blue
431 Posts
Now I’m reading that leaving your car plugged into your at home charger could drain the 12v battery. What gives? Is the car supposed to be left plugged into the charger all the time? Conditioning the battery? Draining the battery? What’s a person to do?
You can safely leave the EVSE plugged into the vehicle. The HV battery will always charge the LV battery when it drops to a minimum charge. This also happens when it’s not plugged in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts