Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mustang Mach-E owners can go with the Ford Connected Charge Station. Alternatively, there are other home chargers (see 'The Best Home EV Charger' list) on the market that should be considered as well. To anyone that has done their homework, what home charger setup are you going with and why?

Ford Connect Charge Station Information:
80% of electric vehicle charging happens at home. Ford offers multiple home charging solutions to fit your needs– the Ford Mobile Charger comes standard while the Ford Connected Charge Station is an option that fully charges your vehicle overnight*:
  • Est. 32 miles of range per charging hour, using the optional Ford Connected Charge Station installed in a (240V) outlet*
  • Est. 22 miles of range per charging hour, using the Ford Mobile Charger in a 240V outlet*
  • A slow but convenient charge, using the Ford Mobile Charger in a standard (120V) electrical outlet*
For the fastest possible charge at home you will want the available Ford Connected Charge Station. This is a great solution for those with longer commutes or who want to enjoy connected features. The Ford Connected Charge Station can be included with your Ford Credit financing agreement.

To make your experience hassle-free, Ford teamed up with Amazon in the U.S. for all your installation services.
Ford Connect Charge Station

The Best Home EV Chargers 2020
  1. Siemens VersiCharge. Previous. ...
  2. JuiceBox Pro 40 EV Charging Station. Previous. ...
  3. ChargePoint Home EV Charger. ...
  4. ClipperCreek HCS-40P EV Charging Station. ...
  5. Zencar Home Electric Vehicle Charging Station. ...
  6. MUSTART Portable Electric Vehicle Charger. ...
  7. Leviton EVB40-PST EV Charger. ...
  8. Blink HQ Home Electric Charger.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Mustang Mach-E owners can go with the Ford Connected Charge Station. Alternatively, there are other home chargers (see 'The Best Home EV Charger' list) on the market that should be considered as well. To anyone that has done their homework, what home charger setup are you going with and why?

Ford Connect Charge Station Information:
80% of electric vehicle charging happens at home. Ford offers multiple home charging solutions to fit your needs– the Ford Mobile Charger comes standard while the Ford Connected Charge Station is an option that fully charges your vehicle overnight*:
  • Est. 32 miles of range per charging hour, using the optional Ford Connected Charge Station installed in a (240V) outlet*
  • Est. 22 miles of range per charging hour, using the Ford Mobile Charger in a 240V outlet*
  • A slow but convenient charge, using the Ford Mobile Charger in a standard (120V) electrical outlet*
For the fastest possible charge at home you will want the available Ford Connected Charge Station. This is a great solution for those with longer commutes or who want to enjoy connected features. The Ford Connected Charge Station can be included with your Ford Credit financing agreement.

To make your experience hassle-free, Ford teamed up with Amazon in the U.S. for all your installation services.
View attachment 1119
The Best Home EV Chargers 2020
  1. Siemens VersiCharge. Previous. ...
  2. JuiceBox Pro 40 EV Charging Station. Previous. ...
  3. ChargePoint Home EV Charger. ...
  4. ClipperCreek HCS-40P EV Charging Station. ...
  5. Zencar Home Electric Vehicle Charging Station. ...
  6. MUSTART Portable Electric Vehicle Charger. ...
  7. Leviton EVB40-PST EV Charger. ...
  8. Blink HQ Home Electric Charger.
My biggest issue is cord length. My current plan is to put a 240-volt outlet in center of the ceiling of my garage and use the mobile charger there with a tool balancer. It would charge fast enough for my needs, may be cheaper to install, and will provide maximum flexibility. I can't do that, as easily, with a hard-wired box.

Cost is another factor, which is cheaper?
  1. A second mobile charger (I'd like to keep a mobile charger in the vehicle at all times -- probably an irrational fear on my part.) + tool balancer + install of outlet in garage ceiling (which has a longer copper run).
  2. Hard wired box + install on wall (shorter copper run) + some sort of j1772 extension cable. Maybe I can use something like this to get good flexibility.
The extension cable has risks, there are some that claim to be comprised of UL certified components, but doesn't mean the cable is or that it was assembled correctly. What's the point if you burn your house down? I can't find if the J1772 or similar standard specifies a maximum cable length. Seems like everything tops out around 25 feet.

Also, I know that the longer the cable the slower the charge unless you get a heavier gauge cable. What I don't understand (I need an electrician/EE) is isn't that also true for the cable between breaker and outlet/hard-wired connector?

·
Registered
125 Posts
The extension cable has risks, there are some that claim to be comprised of UL certified components, but doesn't mean the cable is or that it was assembled correctly. What's the point if you burn your house down? I can't find if the J1772 or similar standard specifies a maximum cable length. Seems like everything tops out around 25 feet.

Also, I know that the longer the cable the slower the charge unless you get a heavier gauge cable. What I don't understand (I need an electrician/EE) is isn't that also true for the cable between breaker and outlet/hard-wired connector?
The Ford Connected Charge station (I am guessing until I see specs) is going to be hard wired only and will require a 60 amp circuit breaker and #4 AWG wire which is $4.10 per foot available at some Lowes. #4 AWG is good up to 70 amps. Ford talks about 48 amps for this unit so I assume that is too close to the 50 amp breaker limit. The reason for using a larger wire (lower AWG number) is due to heat build up, i.e. line loss. It is also depends on the length of the wire run. The longer the run should go to the larger wire size and there is not much difference in up front cost for the larger wire size. I did find a website of a company that will make up any length of extention cord with the ends you need but it was a bit pricey.

The Ford mobile charge should be fine with a 50 amp breaker and #6 AWG wire good to 55 amps. I believe the picture shows a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. There is a Ford video showing the mobile charger kit. It is a video by Christana Sanders, marketing manager with a Mach E walk-around in the title and should be on You Tube. It shows two short cords about 12 inches in length which I think are the 120 volt plug and the 240 volt plug in the carry case of the mobile charger.

For myself I plan to install a 50 amp breaker, #6 AWG wire, and a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. My run length is only about 20 ft and I am comfortable doing the work myself. I plan to start with just the mobile charger before I decide on the extra cost for the Ford Connected unit. Disclaimer: I'm an engineer, but not a electrical engineer and not a electrician.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Ford Connected Charge station (I am guessing until I see specs) is going to be hard wired only and will require a 60 amp circuit breaker and #4 AWG wire which is $4.10 per foot available at some Lowes. #4 AWG is good up to 70 amps. Ford talks about 48 amps for this unit so I assume that is too close to the 50 amp breaker limit. The reason for using a larger wire (lower AWG number) is due to heat build up, i.e. line loss. It is also depends on the length of the wire run. The longer the run should go to the larger wire size and there is not much difference in up front cost for the larger wire size. I did find a website of a company that will make up any length of extention cord with the ends you need but it was a bit pricey.

The Ford mobile charge should be fine with a 50 amp breaker and #6 AWG wire good to 55 amps. I believe the picture shows a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. There is a Ford video showing the mobile charger kit. It is a video by Christana Sanders, marketing manager with a Mach E walk-around in the title and should be on You Tube. It shows two short cords about 12 inches in length which I think are the 120 volt plug and the 240 volt plug in the carry case of the mobile charger.

For myself I plan to install a 50 amp breaker, #6 AWG wire, and a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. My run length is only about 20 ft and I am comfortable doing the work myself. I plan to start with just the mobile charger before I decide on the extra cost for the Ford Connected unit. Disclaimer: I'm an engineer, but not a electrical engineer and not a electrician.
The reason for the 60 amp breaker for the Ford unit rated at 48 amps is that the charger is considered a continuous use and for a continuous use circuit you can only go to 80% of the circuit rating due to heat buildup. You might consider that when you install your 50 amp circuit, you'll only be able to use up to a 40 amp charger.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The reason for the 60 amp breaker for the Ford unit rated at 48 amps is that the charger is considered a continuous use and for a continuous use circuit you can only go to 80% of the circuit rating due to heat buildup. You might consider that when you install your 50 amp circuit, you'll only be able to use up to a 40 amp charger.
Good point, I can install the heavier wire now, then it will be easier to upgrade to the Ford connected charger later. The 50 amp receptacle will be needed for the mobile charger as the 50 amp and 60 amp plugs and receptacles are different.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
914 Posts
I have a 50amp dedicated breaker with a wall mounted 240v outlet. What type of charging cord will be supplied with the MACH E? My 2018 Energi came with a 120v cord.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. For my driving needs it should be more than adequate
Same for me. I'd like to know the cost though so I can buy a second one. I don't want to drive the car around w/o it. (Irrational fear probably.) And if its close in price to the hardwired I may as well buy the big one. Hopefully can get it figured out this year because the tax credits in the States are ending this year for home charger install.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Same for me. I'd like to know the cost though so I can buy a second one. I don't want to drive the car around w/o it. (Irrational fear probably.) And if its close in price to the hardwired I may as well buy the big one. Hopefully can get it figured out this year because the tax credits in the States are ending this year for home charger install.
When I purchased the Energi in 2018 it came with a 120v cord but the 240v was available I'm going to check Ford parts to see what the cost and specs are for the current charge cords

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
When I purchased the Energi in 2018 it came with a 120v cord but the 240v was available I'm going to check Ford parts to see what the cost and specs are for the current charge cords
The current "Turbo" cords from Ford are only 16Amp. and the prices are $389 for a 240V only or $499 for a 120-240V. There are many available on Amazon for half the cost and higher amp

·
Registered
94 Posts
Lot of good info in this thread. From your list of Best Home EV Chargers, I have installed the JuiceBox 40
in my son’s garage and this is an excellent unit. The WIFI lets you control the charge rate amps and cut off
charge level via either KWH’s added or time, from either your computer or smartphone. Priced at about $600 on Amazon.

Another one to add to the list is the Open EVSE. I installed this one for my Leaf SL+ and it has all the same WIFI control capabilities.
I have a large solar panel grid tie system (14KW) and it is handy to be able to reduce the charge amps down on a cloudy day or
when my wife turns on the dryer, AC and water heater all on. This way I can continue using mostly solar output rather than buying
Peak grid power at about 20 cents per KWH for the charge.

The Open EVSE is available in both 40A ($479) and 48A ($559) units.
I bought this one in the Kit form --- only about $80 less, you just assemble the parts in the enclosure, no soldering at all.
Takes only a couple of hours --- fun project.
OpenEVSE - Electric Vehicle Charging Solutions

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@SD_Solar I appreciate the recommendation and do recall seeing many openevse vs juicebox comparisons. Cost is what i'm trying to minimize, although I'm not trying to cheap out and it sure seems like Open EVSE addresses that from what I see and hear from many EV owners.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know when the Ford Connected Charge Station is supposed to be available. I searched through fordpart.com and was not able to find anything. I am interested in purchasing it and having it installed prior to car delivery.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Does anyone know when the Ford Connected Charge Station is supposed to be available. I searched through fordpart.com and was not able to find anything. I am interested in purchasing it and having it installed prior to car delivery.
What does your dealer say?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Check with your dealer. I believe they can order it now
FWIW, pricing and details on the Connected Charge Station can be found on this Ford page

THE FAST WAY TO CHARGE AT HOME
Enjoy the convenience of a simple and fast charging experience at home with the Ford Connected Charge Station.

A 2021 Ford Mustang Mach E plugged into an at home charging station with M S R P Seven hundred and ninety nine

*Brand/Model/Optional Equipment MSRP $799. Taxes, title and license fees extra.
The Ford Connected Charge Station will be available for sale later this year through your dealer and at the time of vehicle purchase. For ease of installation, Ford has teamed up with Amazon Home Services to help make at-home installation hassle-free.

Front three quarter view of a Mustang Mach E in Rapid Red parked outside an upscale hotel near a man and woman

MADE FOR YOUR MUSTANG MACH-E
To maximize your charge at home, Ford electric vehicle customers can purchase the Ford Connected Charge Station with up to 48 amps. Its user-friendly set up includes a 20-foot lightweight cord, ergonomically designed handle and a dedicated coupler dock that lets you conveniently store your cable and coupler near your vehicle’s charge port. Plus, with a max output of 48 Amps (11.5kW), a weatherproof design for indoor or outdoor installation and adjustable power levels that enable compatibility with your home electrical system, The Ford Connected Charge Station is not only fast; it’s flexible.

Interior view of the front of the Mustang Mach E featuring the display screen and steering wheel

CONTROL THE WAY YOU CHARGE
Download the FordPass™ App to access even more connected features. Remotely lock and unlock your charge station, get insights on your charge history and keep track of your energy usage straight from your phone, mobile device or even with Amazon Alexa and Google Home. The intelligent features extend from personal to online connectivity, with Bluetooth & Wi-Fi capability. Your Ford Connected Charge Station can stay up-to-date with the latest technology via automatic over-the-air updates.

Rear view of a Mustang Mach E in Grabber Blue driving on an expressway

PURCHASE AND INSTALLATION
There are several ways to order and install your Ford Connected Charge Station. When you purchase your Mustang Mach-E, simply add it to your order, finance it with your vehicle, and receive it with your new vehicle. Beginning later this year, you will also have the option to order it directly through your dealer or at FordParts.com. And when you’re ready to set it up, Ford helps make installation hassle-free by teaming up with Amazon Home Services. All you need to do is schedule an appointment to get your home charging underway.

PLENTY OF REASONS TO UPGRADE

EFFICIENT
The Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled Ford Connected Charge station can charge your Mustang Mach-E up to ten times faster (up to 30 miles of range per charging hour) than a standard wall outlet, giving you the confidence of a full charge overnight.

CHARGER TYPESTIME REQUIRED FROM 10-80% CHARGE
(With Extended Range Battery and RWD)
RANGE/HOUR
Ford Connected Charge Station10.1 hours*30 miles*
Ford Mobile Charger using 240V wall outlet14.1 hours*21 miles*
Ford Mobile Charger using standard 120V wall outlet95 hours*3 miles*

*Range and charge time based on manufacturer computer engineering simulations and EPA-estimated range calculation methodology. The charging rate decreases as battery reaches full capacity. Your results may vary based on peak charging times and battery state of charge. Actual vehicle range varies with conditions such as external elements, driving behaviors, vehicle maintenance, Lithium ion battery age and state of health.

CONVENIENT
The Ford Connected Charge Station was designed for flexible compatibility with your Mustang Mach-E. Its weatherproof case and 20 ft cable allow for an easily accessible charge whether you choose to install it indoors or outdoors. And with the available FordPass™ App, you can also control, lock and unlock the Charge Station from a distance.
ENJOY DISCOUNTS
On top of all the benefits, there is also the possibility of additional discounts. Check with your utility provider to determine if there are any incentives for installing a Ford Connected Charge Station.

·
Super Moderator
1,421 Posts
1 - 20 of 49 Posts