Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know what dumb-asses are running Electrify America. Apparently they took down part of their East Coast network to perform upgrades. Not a bad idea but to do it on one of the biggest travel holiday weekend in the United States! What was EA thinking? Plus why take the whole network down? Can't they do the work station to station? Just something else for us first time to EV owners to think about. More info here:

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
748 Posts
I'd like to know what dumb-asses are running Electrify America. Apparently they took down part of their East Coast network to perform upgrades. Not a bad idea but to do it on one of the biggest travel holiday weekend in the United States! What was EA thinking? Plus why take the whole network down? Can't they do the work station to station? Just something else for us first time to EV owners to think about. More info here:

Thanks for sharing!

I read the entire article.

I am beyond words about how dumb EA is:

• Labor Day weekend
  • 500 miles of interstate with no charging stations
As you correctly point out, why not replace individual charging stations: no need to turn off the entire system.

The FTC should look into this!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing!

I read the entire article.

I am beyond words about how dumb EA is:

• Labor Day weekend
  • 500 miles of interstate with no charging stations
As you correctly point out, why not replace individual charging stations: no need to turn off the entire system.

The FTC should look into this!
The video in the article is good also.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The video in the article is good also.
I just did.

I cannot believe how calm the guy is. I would have blown my stack!

I wonder why this was not on the front page of almost every newspaper in America.

Can you imagine the uproar if every gas station for 500 miles on the I 95 was out of gas?

If this happened once, without repercussions, what is to prevent it from happening again?

Finally EA is the result of the VW diesel scandal. This is now the second scandal. Makes you wonder whether you want to be one of the first owners of the MachE: maybe better to wait into the charging infrastructure if fully in place and 100% operational.

Again I cannot believe this has not made the front page of newspapers.

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
I just did.

I cannot believe how calm the guy is. I would have blown my stack!

I wonder why this was not on the front page of almost every newspaper in America.

Can you imagine the uproar if every gas station for 500 miles on the I 95 was out of gas?

If this happened once, without repercussions, what is to prevent it from happening again?

Finally EA is the result of the VW diesel scandal. This is now the second scandal. Makes you wonder whether you want to be one of the first owners of the MachE: maybe better to wait into the charging infrastructure if fully in place and 100% operational.

Again I cannot believe this has not made the front page of newspapers.

Let me start by stating: I have no illusions that the U.S. public charging network is in any mature state of implementation. That said, taking down the entire corridor is absolutely ridiculous.

The only acceptable reasons would be a catastrophic system failure, or if they determined operation was unsafe and shutdown to protect their customers. But as the blogger stated, this was planned.

In all my years of infrastructure operations, we would never plan an upgrade that required a complete shutdown of a critical system for such an extended period of time. Heads would roll.

As for delaying my Mach-E until the infrastructure is 100% operational? I personally wouldn’t since 95% of the time I will charge at home or work (they Have the ChargePoint network).

Do better, Electrify America!

·
Registered
50 Posts
A silver lining at least, is that we'll have Ford dealerships as backups when this happens...

·
Registered
MME First Edition Rapid Red
213 Posts
Interesting, they re-energized locations that were not being worked on yet and made them free.

Now, THAT piece of information would have been great to get out there BEFORE the weekend. Way less bad press.
I don't think it is clear if they made them free before or AFTER all the bad press. My guess is AFTER. In fact, Kyle from Outofspec has a video on YouTube where they went to an EA station that was working the day before, and was dead on the weekend. Was not in the process of being replaced.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I live on the East Coast:

What I do not understand is how this story is not being reported in the press.

At first I thought a reporting would cause a public outroar and EA would be forced put the stations back online and only take stations that were actually being replaced offline, leaving most operational.

Can you imagine the uproar if the Tesla charging stations on the East Coast went down for weeks? People would wonder if it can happen on the East Coast it can happen all over the US. Sales would drop to near zero. I think we can all agree that without reliable charging stations you would be insane to buy a Tesla.

I never believe in conspiracy theories - just do not, but this morning I was wondering: what if the auto manufacturers had this story intentionally buried? If you were about to buy and/or lease an EV and heard that the East Coast was down and would be down for weeks, it would make you think twice about getting an EV. Sales would go to zero.

And while I agree with MachDrive that most of the charging will be done at home, does anyone in the year 2020 really want a car that can only be used for local driving? The car is what gave us freedom, the ability to move about when we wanted to, for work, business and pleasure. Without gas stations a car is useless. Without charging stations an EV is semi-useless.

Musk realized this from the get go: Tesla is 100% electric and without charging stations very few, except diehards, would have bought a Tesla. So Tesla invested big time in infrastructure.

Unless the rest of the auto manufacturers make a similar commitment to infrastructure BEV's will be second class citizens. Can we really put our eggs in one basket - EA which is only here because of VW's settlement of its diesel scandal?

I plan to use my EV to take trips. If the charging network went down how do I get back?

The more I think about this the more outrageous it is: there was no public advertisement or warning of the stations going down. Can you imagine having finally convinced your wife to get an EV and using it only to find yourself stranded with no way to get home. What do you do? Call an Uber for a 150 mile trip home? Where do you leave your car? Then when the stations are up in a few weeks take an Uber back to your car?

Again why is this not being reported in the newspapers.

Sorry for the rant
, but charging stations going down along a 500 mile strip on the busiest interstate corridor for weeks on the busiest travel weekend, without any prior public notice, makes me scream and seeing no reason that this cannot happen again makes me wonder if getting any EV at this time means I am insane!

·
Registered
MME First Edition Rapid Red
213 Posts
I think the truth of the matter is that BEV owners other than Tesla who use these stations at this time are an insignificant minority. There is no "red meat" there for the press. Add to that all the press that is being taken up daily due to the upcoming election, and I think it just falls off the table. Maybe the President should have seized on this, and made more derogatory comments about renewable energy and that we should switch to coal burning cars. ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
I live on the East Coast:

What I do not understand is how this story is not being reported in the press.

At first I thought a reporting would cause a public outroar and EA would be forced put the stations back online and only take stations that were actually being replaced offline, leaving most operational.

Can you imagine the uproar if the Tesla charging stations on the East Coast went down for weeks? People would wonder if it can happen on the East Coast it can happen all over the US. Sales would drop to near zero. I think we can all agree that without reliable charging stations you would be insane to buy a Tesla.

I never believe in conspiracy theories - just do not, but this morning I was wondering: what if the auto manufacturers had this story intentionally buried? If you were about to buy and/or lease an EV and heard that the East Coast was down and would be down for weeks, it would make you think twice about getting an EV. Sales would go to zero.

And while I agree with MachDrive that most of the charging will be done at home, does anyone in the year 2020 really want a car that can only be used for local driving? The car is what gave us freedom, the ability to move about when we wanted to, for work, business and pleasure. Without gas stations a car is useless. Without charging stations an EV is semi-useless.

Musk realized this from the get go: Tesla is 100% electric and without charging stations very few, except diehards, would have bought a Tesla. So Tesla invested big time in infrastructure.

Unless the rest of the auto manufacturers make a similar commitment to infrastructure BEV's will be second class citizens. Can we really put our eggs in one basket - EA which is only here because of VW's settlement of its diesel scandal?

I plan to use my EV to take trips. If the charging network went down how do I get back?

The more I think about this the more outrageous it is: there was no public advertisement or warning of the stations going down. Can you imagine having finally convinced your wife to get an EV and using it only to find yourself stranded with no way to get home. What do you do? Call an Uber for a 150 mile trip home? Where do you leave your car? Then when the stations are up in a few weeks take an Uber back to your car?

Again why is this not being reported in the newspapers.

Sorry for the rant
, but charging stations going down along a 500 mile strip on the busiest interstate corridor for weeks on the busiest travel weekend, without any prior public notice, makes me scream and seeing no reason that this cannot happen again makes me wonder if getting any EV at this time means I am insane!

Rant/rage(ish) completely understood. I’m east coast also, northern NJ.

I guess the news will pick up on it, but there is a lot more pressing issues filling up their cycles atm.

I don’t think Tesla would be crazy enough to shut down an entire corridor for upgrades. They have enough problems with queues in California, even one site down for an extended period of time is detrimental. Tesla scatters its upgrades as not to upset the system—any sane company would do so.

This is a FUBAR by EA management. Giving BotD, maybe they had a less compressed schedule before COVID hit. In any case, I do hope EA learns from it for future upgrades.

On the positive side, channeling @Tye ’s calm demeanor: another benefit may be that all these stations are upgraded before anyone takes delivery of a Mach-E. Our experience may be better than if EA did nothing at all.

Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Tye

·
Registered
748 Posts
I think the truth of the matter is that BEV owners other than Tesla who use these stations at this time are an insignificant minority. There is no "red meat" there for the press. Add to that all the press that is being taken up daily due to the upcoming election, and I think it just falls off the table. Maybe the President should have seized on this, and made more derogatory comments about renewable energy and that we should switch to coal burning cars. ;)
Hate to agree with you - EV buyers are probably considered "tree huggers" by most and anti American, we do not want to use American oil, by our President.

But unless Ford and GM get involved and make a financial commitment to infrastructure the way Tesla did and continues to do, and not leave charging to a third party who has no incentive, remember EA is here under duress, what is to prevent this from happening again and again and again?

When I committed to an EV, the complete failure of the charging system was never even on my radar. If I even thought that there was a chance that the charging system could go down without notice, I would have not committed.

Over the Thanksgiving weekend 2019, people waiting hours to get their Tesla's recharged was on the national news. Undoubtedly this was done to disparage Tesla and EV's in general. But the stations did not go down - the problem was the hour wait.

Here an entire network on purpose went down, with no prior notice, people are left stranded and no one is reporting it.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Rant/rage(ish) completely understood. I’m east coast also, northern NJ.

This is a FUBAR by EA management. Giving BotD, maybe they had a less compressed schedule before COVID hit. In any case, I do hope EA learns from it for future upgrades.

On the positive side, channeling @Tye ’s calm demeanor: another benefit may be that all these stations are upgraded before anyone takes delivery of a Mach-E. Our experience may be better than if EA did nothing at all.

Fingers crossed.

But no repercussions to date, against EA.

Without repercussions, what is to prevent this from happening again and again?

The basic problem is that EA is here out of duress because of a court settlement. They literally have no skin in the game. I am sure that the money they make from charging does not cover the cost of the charging units. Without repercussions, they could car less if the system goes down.

Unless GM, Nissan, Ford and other manufacturers get involved in charging infrastructure the way Tesla has and continues to do, this could be real detriment to me actually getting the MME.

Seeing this happen once, I am not saying it will, but it could happen again.

The silence from manufacturers that presently have EV's out there, GM, Nissan, BMW and others is deafening.

Clearly they "don't give a shi*" about their EV customers. That to me is really bothersome.

If I finally get the First Edition and this happens again, my friends will just look at me and say:

"You saw this happen once. You knew it could happen again. If you really wanted an EV why didn't you just get a Tesla?".​

Would they be wrong?

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
Here an entire network on purpose went down, with no prior notice, people are left stranded and no one is reporting it.

What am I missing?
It may be that usage is much lower than we are assuming.

It may be that east/coast (non-teslsa) EV drivers are used to public stations always having issues.

Being that the US BEV market-share is less than 2%, and at least 50% of that is Tesla, maybe no one actually got stranded?

I am just glad no injuries or harm resulted from this debacle (that we know of).

·
Registered
748 Posts
It may be that usage is much lower than we are assuming.

It may be that east/coast (non-teslsa) EV drivers are used to public stations always having issues.

Being that the US BEV market-share is less than 2%, and at least 50% of that is Tesla, maybe no one actually got stranded?

I am just glad no injuries or harm resulted from this debacle (that we know of).

If as you say, most not Tesla EV owners are used to having issues, why get involved when there is a viable alternative - Tesla.

If you are correct, getting an EV from anyone other than Tesla, you are buying a problem. That just does not make sense to me.

I know the horse I am beating is almost dead, but unless the manufacturers put skin in the game, i.e., put their money into charging infrastructure, relying on a third party who really doesn't want to be here and doesn't make any money with their charging stations is problematic at best - especially when there is a viable alternative.

Frankly, having an entire charging system down at the same time for an extended period of time never, never ever crossed my mind: Who in their right mind would ever do that???

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
But no repercussions to date, against EA.
Unless GM, Nissan, Ford and other manufacturers get involved in charging infrastructure the way Tesla has and continues to do, this could be real detriment to me actually getting the MME...
I hope there was some closed-door pressure on EA from all the big auto manufacturers with regard to this mess.

As we know from being in this forum, Ford has already started adding 2,100 publicly-accessible charging locations at its dealerships, with at least two stations at each. I don’t know if these will be for everyone, or Ford owner’s use only.

GM has committed to 2,700 charging stations with EVgo. These are at publicly-accessible pay stations.

I don’t know what plans Nissan, Honda, Toyota and the rest have regarding charging networks. I hope they follow suit and invest in the charging networks here in the US.

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
...Frankly, having an entire charging system down at the same time for an extended period of time never, never ever crossed my mind: Who in their right mind would ever do that???
Answer: No one.

let’s hope they learn from their mistakes, or hire better operational managers.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I hope there was some closed-door pressure on EA from all the big auto manufacturers with regard to this mess.

As we know from being in this forum, Ford has already started adding 2,100 publicly-accessible charging locations at its dealerships, with at least two stations at each. I don’t know if these will be for everyone, or Ford owner’s use only.

GM has committed to 2,700 charging stations with EVgo. These are at publicly-accessible pay stations.

I don’t know what plans Nissan, Honda, Toyota and the rest have regarding charging networks. I hope they follow suit and invest in the charging networks here in the US.
Even though you plan to charge at home, how comfortable are you with the present situation with EA?

I just did a google search for EA charging stations down on I 95.

The only thing that comes up is this forum!

Nothing else!

This fiasco is "under wraps":

Do you wonder why?

·
Registered
588 Posts
The only acceptable reasons would be a catastrophic system failure, or if they determined operation was unsafe and shutdown to protect their customers. But as the blogger stated, this was planned.
My initial reaction was much like everyone else's here, but now that I think about it I believe there WAS a potential catastrophic situation that EA had to avert. Those same stations were downgraded from 150/350kw to 50kw in the beginning of august, and plugshare was showing a good percentage of chargers at those locations as being under repair. EA's upper management is not stupid, and shutting down those stations before the holiday weekend on which they would have been heavily used can't be a coincidence.

I can imagine the following scenario:
  1. EA discovers that those chargers from supplier X had a serious flaw that could lead to fire/electrocution/serious injury
  2. Their first move is to software downgrade them to 50kw while they figure out how to fix them
  3. After more testing and trying to find a solution, by late august they realize the only move is to replace them with supplier Y's chargers
  4. They then realize that the holiday weekend is coming up, and even with reduced current they know the chargers will get a lot of use and even at reduced current there could be a problem
  5. To prevent a worse PR disaster, they decide to just shut them down rather than risk an incident, especially since they were already aware of the potential problem.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts