Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
After reading the article and tweets I don't blame Gates for being skeptical about EV technology for things like planes, ships and 18 wheelers. It's not like he's taking shots a Musk. Musk is getting upset for no reason.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
120 Posts
Hydrogen is a much better solution for things like planes, trains and 18-wheelers

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
967 Posts
Hydrogen is a much better solution for things like planes, trains and 18-wheelers
I don't think it's that simple:

Planes: will probably be best served by biofuels as it is easy to re-engineer jets to run off a biodiesel than the full redesign needed for hydrogen. Liquid fuels have real advantages and the public will think Hindenburg when they hear a plane is carrying compressed hydrogen.

Trains: Again, biodiesel is an easy lift and so is electric. Trains travel along fixed routes, simplifying electrification. Just look at the TGV and Shinkansen. Trains also don't have to worry about battery weight.

Shipping: It depends on the application. Long-haul ships could do hydrogen well. Short runs like ferries are already switching to electricity. Neither has to worry about the "bomb" mystique of hydrogen or weight.

18-wheelers also depend. BEV has a real potential here, especially for regional trucks. Biodiesel and hydrogen both have value for long-haul trucks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't think it's that simple:

Planes: will probably be best served by biofuels as it is easy to re-engineer jets to run off a biodiesel than the full redesign needed for hydrogen. Liquid fuels have real advantages and the public will think Hindenburg when they hear a plane is carrying compressed hydrogen.
I agree, but only because the constant smell of french fries may offset the unpleasantness of being stuffed into a plane.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts