Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
We just picked up our MachE after it's 1 year service, and software upgrade. As I mentioned in another thread, the software upgrade took 15hours with the technician, and our service rep said that the dealership isn't going to do any more of those until Ford comes up with a better method.
Hi, You and I were commenting about the long upgrade process and dealer frustrations on the other thread.

Here's what's new. My dealer (Huntington Beach Ford) told me that ... just over this past weekend ... Ford came up with a brand new version of the Blue Cruise software, allegedly devoid of installation bugs. They told me that they did the first one yesterday, with the new Blue Cruise version, and it all went smooth as silk, in a fraction of the previous time (download took less than 2 hours, once they had the handshakes established). So I brought my MME in this morning (Wed May 4) and it's supposed to be all finished any time now (12:45 PM PDT). I'll let you know if it actually works.

- Larry Weisenthal/Huntington Beach CA

· Registered
47 Posts
It will be interesting to see what you get for a reply.

As I mentioned on another thread, in my professional life I have always found that people are very understanding of delays or problems, IF YOU COMMUNICATE WITH THEM in a timely manner. I completely agree with Summerlin Bob, I don't understand why FORD doesn't communicate with us regarding this.
Status: Brought my MME in yesterday (4 May) to Huntington Beach Ford to get my Blue Cruise update. I was told what was related before. At closing time yesterday, the nice service guy named "Craig" called to say that everything went great --- EXCEPT FOR ONE "MODULE." Said he was sure this last module could be successfully installed in an short time. So can I just leave the car another day. Of course, I said yes. It's now 12:50 PM PDT on Thursday, 5 May. I am still waiting, with baited breath. I've got the 405 freeway close at hand; I'll for sure check it out when (if) I get the car back today.

- Continuing saga.

n.b. I love Ford. I worked on the Ford assembly line ... paid UAW dues ... during one summer in college. My Dad was a Ford retiree ... worked in "Domestic Special Order" heavy truck design (n.b. also designed tanks for Chrysler during WW2) ... and drew a Ford pension -- faithfully paid from his retirement at age 65 to his death at age nearly 102. Dad got a personal, hand signed letter from Henry Ford II ("HF2") recognizing a notable personal episode in Dad's life; also got a hand signed letter from William Clay Ford Sr, on the occasions of Dad's 100th birthday. I own about $300K in F stock (they have been wonderful, over the years, in paying dividends, with occasional, entirely understandable exceptions). Purchased/leased quite a number of Ford vehicles on "A"and "Z" plans, over the years (alas, no longer eligible for this, following Dad's demise in 2015).

Anyway, I'm True Blue Oval ... and I love our MME.

- Larry Weisenthal/Huntington Beach CA

· Registered
47 Posts
It's now 12:50 PM PDT on Thursday, 5 May. I am still waiting, with baited breath. I've got the 405 freeway close at hand; I'll for sure check it out when (if) I get the car back today.

- Continuing saga.
Status update: at 4:35 PM service supervisor (Craig) at Huntington Beach Ford called me up to say that ... alas ... they could NOT get the final "module" to work. They will deal with the Ford computer engineering "hot line" to get a solution to the problem. But they can't guarantee how long (in hours or days) this will take. So I'm just (alas) going to pick up my car, until they call and notify me that their problem is fixed.

Reaction: I'm kind of old ... growing up when I did in the era where IBM Selectric typewriters and IBM punch cards and IBM 360 mainframe computers were state of the art, and when all I wanted out of my brand new 1970 Ford Maverick 3 speed manual column shift was for it to be mechanically competent and run properly and safely.

When I read over the various MME dissatisfactions, it seems to be virtually all software related. As if the automobile is just a big iPhone or iMac. I've had the car for 14 months now. Not the slightest mechanical glitch. Yeah, Ford had to re-glue the glass on my very early production vehicle. But that's it. Save for Blue Cruise software ... for which Ford will eventually give me a one year free trial.

Yeah, it's annoying. But I'm driving a car, not an iPhone. And I view Blue Cruise as a toy, more than anything else. The intelligent adaptive cruise works wonderfully. "Hands free" mainly a cool toy bit of fun idea. Last thing I want if for some software incompatibility to result in a car crash. So ... my ask for Ford ... just make sure you get it right. I've waited 14 months. I'm willing to wait another few days. Or another month. Or however long. I have confidence that Ford will get it right and, if it takes much longer, provide a modicum of compensation (e.g. extended "free trial" period) for my disappointment and inconvenience.

- Larry Weisenthal/Huntington Beach

· Registered
47 Posts
I'll just have enough time to get the 12 months of BC free.
If I don't entirely feel your pain; I do understand your pain. I've been transparent with my pro-Ford bias. That said, I try to look at things from airline cruising altitude. Ford boldly entered the game, after Tesla (and I'm a fan of Elon), had a decade head start. Ford went from the beginning with goal of being an immediate head to head Tesla competitor. Ford's expertise was in hardware mechanics and fit and trim assembly. Obvious weakness was self driving software.

I, personally, knew this from the start. Given this, I'm disappointed but not shocked by the software glitches. Comparing not with a Tesla, but with every single other car I've ever owned, my MME has blown all prior vehicles away and has met every expectation regarding mechanical performance, basic modern software performance, fit and trim, standard dealer level responsiveness and service, etc. Beyond shadow of a doubt, I'd buy it again.

Regarding your criticisms related to Ford corporate communicating with customers and solving problems, ---

Have you recently tried to talk to real people tasked with resolving airline problems, to have them resolve the simplest of problems? etc etc etc. My local Ford dealer told me that they can't wash the cars they service anymore (a prior perk), because of simple lack of available labor. Same with their service techs. They have two qualified electronic techs - one of whom was absent from work all last week. The other of whom has literally devoted days of his unique talents in trying to solve my own unique personal problem.

I honestly believe that all involved are doing their best to meet expectations and solve challenging problems. Some of it, I'm sure, is Covid related.

From my following of Tesla consumer groups, I'm not impressed that overall level of customer satisfaction is greater for Tesla stans than in the case of owners of the brand new, still cutting teeth, MME.

I don't think that anyone at my dealership's service department or at Ford corporate is doing anything less than the best they are able to do.

Disappointing? Yes. Frustrating? For sure. But it remains a great car. And the people I've dealt with on a personal basis I believe to be legitimately trying their best to solve tough problems in the midst of a national labor shortage.

I have no doubt that they'll eventually get it right. Meanwhile, my car is lacking a desired piece of functionality which I've always viewed as being just a fun toy. And I have the satisfaction of driving a car for which orders have been suspended for the rest of the year, because of overwhelming demand - a car which has held its resale value extraordinarily well, should I ever experience the wish to bail. - Larry Weisenthal/Huntington Beach

· Registered
47 Posts
@lweisenthal Thanks for the update, what I don't understand is why Ford seems to incapable or unwilling to provide the type of information that you have just posted? I'll continue to wait for a response from the dealer to my email. When I return from Utah I will (if necessary) make trip #8 to the dealer for the update. Again thanks for taking the time to provide the info.
Bob
Hi Bob, Update: Took my car to dealer 3 times for Blue Cruise and Lane centering related issue. Dealer had car for 4 days, then 2 days, then 8 days. At end of 8 days, everything was working perfectly! Died and went to heaven. Took car on two 60 mile drives on multiple LA freeways. 405 North between Huntington Beach to North Long Beach. Surface street North to 91 East. Then 605 South. Then 405 South to Costa Mesa. Then 405 North back home. Daytime in rush hour and nighttime on near empty road. Blue Cruise worked brilliantly. Exceeded expectations.

Two days later I received an over the air software “upgrade.” This destroyed everything. Main problem was the native navigation app didn’t work. It displayed my location as being about 15 miles from where I actually was. So not only did Blue Cruise not work, but Lane centering adaptive cruise didn’t work properly. I’d set desired speed at 65 MPH. Would do that fine … for a minute or two … but then abruptly drop it to 25 … rapidly slowing car. You can imagine going 65 on an LA freeway, where most drivers try to do 75 if not 80, and then abruptly slowing. Miracle I wasn’t rear ended. This happened several times before I finally realized what was going on.

When I got home, the navigation map informed me I was in the middle of New York City.

I spent hours on the phone over next two days … talked to 5 tech support people. 3 disconnected me. Two tried to connect me with someone from engineering, but engineers refused to accept transferred call. Both consulted with supervisors. Told me to take car back to dealer.

I told them … I just CAN’T. The dealer hates me by now. I know for a fact that they spent 35 hours on the problem and billed Ford $3,100 for this and were paid this by Ford. But it tied up their 1 1/2 computer technicians, affecting many other customers. They FIXED my problems.Everything was great … for two days until your over air update ruined my car.

Well, they said, take car to another dealer. I said fine, you find me a dealer who is willing to take the car and fix this. I’ll take it to any dealer in California, Nevada, or Arizona, but it’s got to be a dealer who will be instructed how to fix problem and can do it in a day or two. Just make an appointment for me, and I’ll take the car there.

No, we can’t do that. You’ll have to make arrangements for yourself. But but but I happen to know dealers all across the country are fed up with these Blue Cruise update issues. I’m going to have to spend a lot of time explaining my tale of woe and getting a dealer to fix. Basically tough luck, you are on your own, sucker.

I get a brilliant idea. I’ll do a complete system reset. I do this three times. Get rid of Ford Pass app. Then do system reset. Then reinstall Ford Pass. Do this 3 complete times … just because. Miracle. It WORKS.

Next day I awaken to find I’ve gotten another automatic over the air update. Same thing. Car now thinks I’m in New York. I then do the reset things. This time, it doesn’t fix. I drive car for two days. No Blue Cruise. No adaptive cruise, because I don’t want to get rear ended when it suddenly slows to 25. Then, out of the blue (no pun intended), car suddenly fixes itself. It’s now working again. Only problem, it keeps trying to do over the air updates. For the last 7 consecutive days (see screen shot) it announces I’ve got an update coming next day. Only update never arrives. I have no idea what’s going on. I haven’t yet driven car today, I don’t know if today will be a day when Blue Cruise and adaptive cruise and my navigation will work, or whether it won’t.

Like you, I’ve a strong Ford history. Even worked a summer on a Ford assembly line during college. Great job. Paid for a year of college. Dad was a Ford retiree … drew a Ford pension until his death at age 102. I own $300K of F. Purchased many cars on A/Z plans.

I still like the company. Love my MME after 15 months of ownership. I’m sure I’ll buy more Fords in the future. But this whole Blue Cruise experience has been … disappointing.

Larry Weisenthal/Huntington Beach

1 - 6 of 6 Posts