Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
I took delivery of my 2021 Premium, Infinite Blue Metallic, Black Onyx interior, RWD, ER Battery, in late July 2021. Of course at that time they said BlueCruise would be available "soon". I still don't have it.

BUT, an interesting thing happened to me today. I drove on I35 to Austin and used automatic lane centering most all the way. It worked flawlessly. I dropped someone off at the airport, and headed back (without every turning the car off), this time taking SH 130 which is a tollway with posted speeds that vary between 80 and 85 mph.
The automatic lane centering would NOT turn on.
Adaptive Cruse Control = ON
Lane Centering = ON (indicator on instrument panel = ON)
Cruise Control = SET (80 mph shown on inst panel)
Traffic Sign Recognition = ON
No vehicles anywhere near me.
Lane markings were relatively new and clear on plain undamaged roadway.
It would NOT turn on the automatic lane centering despite multiple attempts.

I slowed down to 70 mph, reset the cruise control, and tried again, but no joy. The automatic speed sign recognition still showed the posted speed at 85 mph, my cruise control speed set at 70, but the automatic lane centering would not activate.

I exited SH 130 to another highway where the posted speed was 70 mph. The system worked fine and automatic lane centering worked.
It appears that the system will not activate above a certain speed (I guess). I looked through the owners manual and could not find any reference to any speed limitation.
Has anyone experienced this or have any additional info?
Jim

· Registered
211 Posts
I just noticed a version notification in my MME that says I have 2.6.0. And no BCruise.

I'm gonna go back on the freeway and try again to see what smokes.
---------------------------
Update:
I now have the 2.7.0 OTA update. Have no idea if that makes any difference.
Went back out on the same freeway and everything worked fine. Tried all the configs I could think of and the hands free lane centering worked flawlessly. No BCruise.
Cockpit error I guess.

· Registered
211 Posts
BTW, I just came across this new flash from last year:

"DEARBORN, Mich., April 14, 2021 – Ford will begin offering its new BlueCruise hands-free highway driving system to customers later this year after 500,000 miles of development testing and fine-tuning the technology on a journey across the United States and Canada."

I have a question for those that have the BlueCruise on their MME. Does the hands free function only work on those specific roads where Ford has highlighted them, the "hands free blue zones" or will it work on properly striped roads?

· Registered
211 Posts
BlueCruise coming to a car near me.

My 2021 Premium RWD ERB:
Built Jun 22, 2021
Delivered Jul 22, 20221
OTA V 2.6.0 May 31, 2022 (approx)
OTA V 2.7.0 Jun 9, 2022
OTA V 2.7.1 Jun 11, 2022
OTA V 2.7.3 Jun 13, 2022
Received letter from Ford on Jun 9, 2022 (dated May 2022) saying that BlueCruise updates may have already started on my MME and will continue until BlueCruise is fully installed. Then I get a free year subscription to BC (once it is active).

I have two options:
1. Continue OTA updates. This option may take several weeks. Dealership visit not required. No action required other than to insure that I have OTA updates turned on and set up properly.
2. Take my MME to a Ford or Lincoln dealer for software installation of Program 21G01. This may take 2 to 8 hours. They will provide a loaner car while the update is completed.

I think I am going with option 1. My dealer interaction has been less than positive and I have waited a year so far.

The letter also gave some info on a couple new dash indicators that go with the downloads, but nothing significant.

Note: The OTAs do seem to throw blings in some weird places. e.g. my charging locations disappeared. My HVAC setttings are gone. and since the 2.7.3. update, the nav system display rotates sporadically while driving. These are just nuisances, but hope the last one fixes itself. It spooks the passengers some.

Excited to see BC finally on it's way. I'm a little apprehensive about actually using it w/o hands, but I love the lane centering with adaptive CC and it is always reminding me to put my hands on the wheel (which they are but not hard enuf). So this will be an interesting experiment to see if I trust the AI to let it do it's thing. I'm not going to read a book. If Ford gets me killed I'm going to be pissed off.

· Registered
211 Posts
It's still 'early in the game' with BC but frankly I see little advantage to the Adaptive Cruise/Lane Centering. I've got a year to decide but hands on the wheel or hands on my lap is an insignificant difference. On my next trip I may try uncorking, pouring and sipping a Dry Reisling while I dine on a Popeye's Spicy Cajun Chicken sandwich. If it works out, I may keep the subscription. 🍗🍾
Ah my palate yearns. Although I slightly prefer a Pinot Grigio with the delectable spicy Popeye's. Bottle doesn't fit in the cup holder though. I'll just have to grab it by the neck and swill as BC does it's thing.

· Registered
211 Posts
GOT THE BLUE .. Cruise

So here is my experience with the provisioning of BlueCruise on my Premium MME, FWD, ER battery. As I stated previously, I selected to NOT take my MME in to the dealership to have them install BC, but rather have Ford take their course with OTA updates. Here is what I experienced.

All of the OTA updates went fine with no intervention from me. Each completed and I got a "Download complete" icon on the dash, linked to a message with the version number. 21 days overall once it started on the BC ladder. Very satisfied with the overall process and outcome.

On 20 Jun after 2.8.2 was installed along with the message that BlueCruise was active, I couldn't wait to get on a road and test it. Lane centering and Adaptive CC worked fine, but no BC. Each time I would try to activate it, I would get the message that it was on, but no joy. The Nav system went beserk. It showed me in New York, Mississippi, Arizona ... and it tended to rotate the Nav screen around a lot.

I decided to wait a few days, and behold, the next day it started first try. Exact same road. Had to age, like a good wine I guess. Nav system now works fine showing me back in TX.

Here is the money shot. and yes it did remind me to keep my eyes on the road.

Now that I have it, still apprehensive on how much I'll really trust it. That like the wine, will age appropriately. I do already wish it had the lane change feature.

Thanks Ford
You have upped your customer satisfaction.

Attachments

· Registered
211 Posts
I had an interesting situation yesterday. I have a 2021 Mach E Premium with BlueCruise enabled.
I had an ophthalmologist appt and they dilated my eyes for the exam. Things were a little blurry when I left but nothing bad enough not to drive. It was a bit overcast so not bright outside.
I activated BlueCruise when I got on the highway. It came on, and a few seconds later said "Watch the road". I was, message went away and a few second later came back. By this time I was intently staring straight ahead. Message continued and then advised me to "Take Control". Which I basically was doing anyway. Then BlueCruise would not come on at all, neither would lane centering.
So I guess that the cameras reading my eyes could not tell that I was in fact looking at the road, and shut off. OK with me that it determines it doesn't know and shuts down, but an interesting physiological phenomena I had never encountered before.
I do wish they would get the lane changing software updated. It would be very helpful.
Still love the pony, and still get stares and questions from onlookers after a year and a half.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts