Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In recent weeks I have been sensing a burning smell when driving the 2022 Mach e. The first few times I convinced myself it was an external smell, not emanating from within the car. But now there is a pattern.

It appears that the smell shows up when the A/C has been on for a while. I typically don't even care to have the A/C on, but it comes on automatically after using Max A/C for defrosting (car fogs up too easily). When turning off Max A/C the Auto A/C comes on. Turning it off is a hassle so I have given up and just keep it on.

The first few times I sensed the burning smell, I turned off the A/C as a precaution. Now after numerous incidents I have realized that the smell is indeed connected to the A/C.

Anyone else have that issue? I am thinking of taking it to the dealership for diagnosis, but would appreciate feedback from others that may have a similar experience.

· Registered
133 Posts
Are you sure it's the AC and not the heater? The heater is a PTC (positive temperature coefficient) electric heater which is a combination heater core and four-slice toaster. Could be just dust burning off the coils.

· Official Representative
183 Posts
In recent weeks I have been sensing a burning smell when driving the 2022 Mach e. The first few times I convinced myself it was an external smell, not emanating from within the car. But now there is a pattern.

It appears that the smell shows up when the A/C has been on for a while. I typically don't even care to have the A/C on, but it comes on automatically after using Max A/C for defrosting (car fogs up too easily). When turning off Max A/C the Auto A/C comes on. Turning it off is a hassle so I have given up and just keep it on.

The first few times I sensed the burning smell, I turned off the A/C as a precaution. Now after numerous incidents I have realized that the smell is indeed connected to the A/C.

Anyone else have that issue? I am thinking of taking it to the dealership for diagnosis, but would appreciate feedback from others that may have a similar experience.
Good morning! If you send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info, I can look into your odor concern on my end.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure it's the AC and not the heater? The heater is a PTC (positive temperature coefficient) electric heater which is a combination heater core and four-slice toaster. Could be just dust burning off the coils.
Thank you. That's a relief if it's just the coil burning off dust. You are right I think I confused A/C and heater. On the dashboard the same sign refers to both, it seems. I have been keeping A/C/heater off and so haven't sensed that smell recently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts