Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

Buying Run-Flat Tires

13K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  AutoMotive 
#1 ·
I was looking into run-flat tire options specifically for the Mustang Mach-E and Ford recommends going with the Pirelli CINTURATO P7 RUNFLAT. Its an all-season tire that's also available in a version with better mud and snow capabilities.
Another recommended all-season run-flat tire option is the Bridgestone DriveGuard.
Does anyone know what other options we can go with?

#16 · (Edited)
I don't believe the tires on the Mach e are OEM equipped w/RF's. Go to the Tire Rack web page and search for Ford Mustang Mach e, and see if it is OEM listed as RF for your specific trim level. I dislike them for their overly harshness and if you get a puncture (on its tread surface) it is very hard to insert a plug, besides your typical road assistance guy will never patch or repair a punctured RF. Yes, the Mercedes RF's or Mercedes MOExtended Mobility rated tires are way softer than the BMW's but it wears faster and by 40K miles they have to be replaced even you got useful tread depth left. Bridgestone are substantially better riding RF tires than Continental, Michelin and Pirelli. I have had excellent road assistance experience by using AAA for flat tire events, its local contractor was a lot more responsive and helpful than the manufacturer's contracted service provider. Subaru's road assistance never showed up; ended up calling AAA and they responded in less than 30 minutes, this happened to me in the wee hours of night on a secondary road in the hills of West Virginia. I also read on the BMW forum that the bearings, the bushings and shocks are all calibrated specifically for vehicles that are equipped with RF tires as OEM. I would stay with any all season non-RF tires by Michelin/Goodyear/Continental/Pirelli and get the AAA card and sign up for their reliable road assistance.

#18 ·
PS: Ford invested a lot of research in the abatement of NVH for the Mach e, and Mach e's comfortable, supple well controlled ride definitely shows the fruition of this daunting task, they indeed did a superb job in the effective control of NVH. So why is this related to the use of RF tires? Very simple, the inherent higher mass of a typical RF needed for a beefer wall support at zero psig will hinder the delicate balance of noise, vibration and HARMONICS !!! If a vehicle is NOT equipped with RF tires as OEM, I would not arbitrarily install it. Precise calibrations in its suspension components were made to counter act the harshness of the RF tires. The first RF tires were OEM in the BMW 3 Series; Bridgestone developed "Star" rated RF tires specifically for BMW, which at best was akin to concrete trucks rides. Bridgestone further improved their RF tire development to the more stringent Mercedes' MOExtended Mobility standards which resulted in a much more pliable tires with softer side walls, but its durability was at best at 40K miles. All other major tires manufacturer's followed the suit but they are not the same in ride quality and harshness. Ford probably did a risk analysis and it concluded that the probability of getting a tire puncture is low and the ready prevailancy of reliable road assistance (AAA is high rated in customer satisfaction in this regard) does not warranty the use of RFs. even though a spare or doughnut is not provided. Lastly a RF tire with its higher mass (weight) will affect the vehicle's efficiency which will be crucial in an EV's range.

#20 · (Edited)
Just for your info: the Bridgestone DriveGuard (RF) is rated for Mercedes MOExtended Mobility but I don't see its load as "XL" while all the recommended (non-RF) tires in the TireTrack web page listed for Mach e in all trim versions either for 18" or 19" sizes got "XL" loading. I know the RF at "zero pressure" really works based on experience that I had on my Mercedes, and I did drive over 30 miles after getting a nasty puncture, but I don't know if they are as effective for EV's which are heavier than ICE cars. Tire Track got a really informative webpage, their technical staff are way more technically knowledgeable than any Ford personnel, both BMW & Mercedes have been using RF tires as OEM for the past ten years to achieve their respective CAFE goals. Go to any of their forum and you will be surprised to read in depth discussions about this controversial topic - the both loved and hated RF tires !!! ....

#21 ·
The duties for or MME is primarily local, almost all avoidable travel. So my plan is to use the factory tires until they're ready for replacement (not sure how long this will be... narrow tires on a heavy vehicle), swap in Winter tires on the factory wheels, and look for wider wheel options with Summer/performance tires. My guess is that by the time the MME requires new tires, the charging infrastructure would have expanded to the point that it'll be a non issue and longer road trips would be more convenient.

#25 ·
I'm 23,000 miles in, and so far I've been happy with the OEM tires. However, when it comes time to replace them, I'm going to strongly consider run flats. With the terrible Michigan roads, I'm frankly surprised that I survived the winter/spring pothole season without a blown tire.

I'm more concerned with reliability related to the high voltage system, as I've already been stranded twice (getting my HVBJB replaced now). I've had several experiences with tow trucks, but none of them involved a tire. But that's a discussion for another thread...

#28 ·
Hi all,
Well if you do get RFs to replace your non-RF OEM tires, please post about their ride characteristics here in a new topic/thread.

For our MY we carry a set of tire plugs and tools for them along with an air compressor to reinflate the flat tire once you're pulled out the nail/screw and done the plug routine.

We also carry a modernspare.com spare tire and jack on our MY on long trips. Yes, belt and suspenders precautions but when you're out in the boonies w/no cell service, you're on your own and have to be self-reliant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.