·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,008 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz B250e
26 Posts
(y) Great news! California' s decision is a significant sign not only to other states, inside and outside of the USA!
Some European countries will ban new ICEs as well (Sweden, Netherlands: 2030, UK: 2035, France: 2040). Others will follow...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Let’s be real here. You’re talking to a person from a people, thats had law and liberty twisted so that it didn’t apply to them. Even without using the environmental angle the notion of moving to electric vehicles isnt the signal of authoritative rule crushing its citizens.
Don't bring race into this argument. I have not and nor have I ever advocated the use of the law to remove the rights of liberty from someone. It is no more fair for you to lump me in with people who have done atrocious things than it is for me to do that to you.

I'm talking about the governor being able to solely with his pen decide what people get to buy. There was no legislative debate, there was no voting, it was a decree. That is an attack on liberty. I'm buying an electric vehicle, my problem isn't moving to them, my problem is being forced to.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't bring race into this argument. I have not and nor have I ever advocated the use of the law to remove the rights of liberty from someone. It is no more fair for you to lump me in with people who have done atrocious things than it is for me to do that to you.

I'm talking about the governor being able to solely with his pen decide what people get to buy. There was no legislative debate, there was no voting, it was a decree. That is an attack on liberty. I'm buying an electric vehicle, my problem isn't moving to them, my problem is being forced to.
Hey chill out. I didnt lump you in with anything. I’m bringing up race which I can do, is because you’re going to an extreme on something that’s not a big deal. The government forces you to wear a seatbelt. Government forces you to carry ID.The government forces your car to adhere to emission standards. So what law and liberty are you talking about?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey chill out. I didnt lump you in with anything.
This starts making it personal.
You’re talking to a person from a people
extreme on something that’s not a big deal. The government forces you to wear a seatbelt. Government forces you to carry ID.The government forces your car to adhere to emission standards. So what law and liberty are you talking about?
Using the word extreme is to belittle my argument. I don't believe the government's proper role is to dictate what people can and can't buy. Same with seat belts for that matter. And by rule of law, I'm talking about a single person using executive powers to do so, not a represented legislature. What other things can the governor do with his pen? What limits are there?

·
Super Moderator
1,224 Posts
I'm guessing/hoping people can still buy ICE from another state or online and bring to CA.
This just bans the sale of new ICE vehicles, not used. Nor does it ban owning ICE or registering them. Very limited impact for improving the environment.
So, technically you can just buy a new ICE vehicle in a different State.

Reactions: Tye

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
725 Posts
Hard to comment on this without bringing politics into it. Saying "great news" is still political in this case.

I think its horrible news for liberty and the rule of law, great news for environment.
No more than requiring seat belts or no smoking on airplanes.

Governor's are elected to make laws for the betterment of their constituency.

·
Registered
Spark EV 2016
39 Posts
(y) Great news! California' s decision is a significant sign not only to other states, inside and outside of the USA!
Some European countries will ban new ICEs as well (Sweden, Netherlands: 2030, UK: 2035, France: 2040). Others will follow...
That is great news and once again demonstrates California's green economy leadership. Hoping that Quebec resolves to move forward its 2050 goal and toughens the application of its existing zero-emissions law. From where I'm standing, there's really no debate, we all need to clean up our act.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
725 Posts
I don't see why anyone is free to pollute and in so doing harm his or her neighbors.
That is great news and once again demonstrates California's green economy leadership. Hoping that Quebec resolves to move forward its 2050 goal and toughens the application of its existing zero-emissions law. From where I'm standing, there's really no debate, we all need to clean up our act.

Why my wife and I love Canadians!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts