Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Regardless of who get elected, regardless of which state/municipality I live in, there are things that I can do right now. My consumption habits are mostly under my control and I don't need the EPA to tell me what's good/bad/right/wrong (which is not to say we shouldn't advocate for a responsible EPA).

What I can't stand above all... are people whose actions are inconsistent with what they preach. Like a recent president who advocates for the environment while just one of his many houses has 6x the carbon footprint of the average American home. Particularly infuriating because he's made enough $$$ to reduce his footprint to Ed Begley Jr. levels. so it's not the capability... it's the desire. These people need to STFU IMO.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,120 Posts
The Beacon
It’s Tuesday, October 20, and the Garden State wants to phase out gas cars.

After California, the second state in the country to ban the sale of gas-powered cars could be … New Jersey.
Regulators from the Garden State’s Department of Environmental Protectionoffered a proposal to do just that last week. They suggest that in order to slash the state’s greenhouse gas emissions, lawmakers should require all cars sold in New Jersey to be electric by 2035.
It’s part of an update to the state’s Global Warming Response Act, a roadmap to decarbonization enacted in 2007. Its first objective — to reduce the state’s CO2 emissions to 1990 levels by 2020 — was accomplished in 2018. Now, New Jersey is focused on cutting emissions 80 percent below 2006 levels by 2050.
Transitioning to electric vehicles is a key part of hitting that goal. Transportation produces more than 40 percent of New Jersey’s greenhouse gas emissions, by far the state’s most-polluting sector. But putting the gas-powered car ban into place will require action from the legislature or an executive order from the governor’s office.
New Jersey’s Democratic governor, Phil Murphy, hasn’t yet said whether he would take action to ban traditional vehicles, but his administration has supported EVs in the past. Earlier this year he signed a law launching anelectric vehicle rebate program with the aim of putting 330,000 electric cars on the road by 2025.
Joseph Winters

·
Registered
241 Posts
I wonder though... what percentage of greenhouse emissions in NJ are generated by vehicles registered to NJ? I mean the state is the ultimate conduit to the flow of goods/materials/products... for the Northeast.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
867 Posts
I wonder though... what percentage of greenhouse emissions in NJ are generated by vehicles registered to NJ? I mean the state is the ultimate conduit to the flow of goods/materials/products... for the Northeast.
It is also the home of the major oil companies and their storage tanks along I-95.

But the point is that in order to get green house gases under control you must take the first step.

Remember when the big three fought seat belts? Then air bags?

Each step is an incremental step in the right direction.

"A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With The First Step" – Lao Tzu.

.​

·
Registered
Spark EV 2016
50 Posts
What I can't stand above all... are people whose actions are inconsistent with what they preach.
I've always loved this line from Michael Jackson: 'I'm starting with the man in the mirror'. The humility it generates makes it easier for me to accept perceived flaws in others.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,120 Posts
New Jersey might join California ban of gasoline new-car sales by 2035
Stephen Edelstein
STEPHEN EDELSTEIN OCTOBER 21, 2020

New Jersey might be the next state to ban sales of new gasoline and diesel cars.

Last month, California Governor Gavin Newsom signed an executive order banning sales of new internal-combustion cars by 2035; and now a report from the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) recommends that lawmakers in that state do the same.

The report lays out steps to meet a 2006 legislative mandate to reduce the state's greenhouse-gas emissions 80% from 2006 levels by 2050.

In 2018 (the most recent year with available data) the transportation sector represented 42% of New Jersey's net greenhouse-gas emissions, according to the report. Passenger cars and trucks represent the lion's share of both vehicle-miles traveled and emissions produced in the state, the report said.

The amount of emissions generated by passenger cars means that 100% of new-car sales in New Jersey will have to be electric by 2035 to meet the 2050 emissions-reduction goal, the report concluded.

That also means increasing the number of registered electric vehicles from 30,000 today to over 6 million by 2050, according to the report.

Marengo Charging Plaza, Pasadena, California
Marengo Charging Plaza, Pasadena, California

For now, this is just a recommendation. Governor Phil Murphy hasn't commented publicly on the proposal, but he would likely need to take executive action similar to Newsom in California.

New Jersey is already getting serious about embracing electric cars. It launched a comprehensive plan for charging infrastructure in 2017, and earlier this year approved a $5,000 electric-vehicle rebate, plus a requirement that public transit agency NJ Transit purchase electric buses.

That legislation aimed to make 330,000 light-duty vehicles in New Jersey electric by the end of 2025 and 2 million by 2035, and to make 85% of leased vehicles electric by 2040.

In July, New Jersey also joined an effort to accelerate sales of electric medium-duty and heavy-duty commercial vehicles, targeting 100% zero-emission sales by 2050.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Here's a very unpopular idea but I've always thought that if we got rid of the all the CAFE requirements and instead added a penny a gallon increase a month on gasoline and road diesel forever, so that in 1 year it would go to 12 cents and in 10 years $1.20, with the proceeds going directly to green electricity generation and infrastructure projects, it would accomplish the same result but would provide desperately needed cash to the states. Unpopular non-starter but this is what I would do were I king.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here's a very unpopular idea but I've always thought that if we got rid of the all the CAFE requirements and instead added a penny a gallon increase a month on gasoline and road diesel forever, so that in 1 year it would go to 12 cents and in 10 years $1.20, with the proceeds going directly to green electricity generation and infrastructure projects, it would accomplish the same result but would provide desperately needed cash to the states. Unpopular non-starter but this is what I would do were I king.

You don't need to add tax to gasoline if you redirect oil and gas subsidies to renewable energy projects.

·
Registered
672 Posts
In the EU:
The latest call comes from Denmark, which urged the European Union on Friday to ban the sale of cars powered by gasoline or diesel fuel by 2040. ... Norway will end the sale of new cars that use fossil fuels in 2025, while used cars will still be permitted.

I did not expect to see any country aim for the 2020's.

To my surprise EV sales in Norway are at record breaking levels:

Norway EV Market Share Breaks All Records — 75% Of Vehicles Sold Have Plugs! Norway's electric vehicle revolution broke new ground in March 2020, with plug-in vehicles now representing over 75% of vehicle sales in the country. Of the remaining quarter share, plug-less hybrids took 7.1%, diesel 10%, and petrol 7.7%.

·
Registered
Model 3 -> Mach-E First Edition
89 Posts
In the EU:
The latest call comes from Denmark, which urged the European Union on Friday to ban the sale of cars powered by gasoline or diesel fuel by 2040. ... Norway will end the sale of new cars that use fossil fuels in 2025, while used cars will still be permitted.

I did not expect to see any country aim for the 2020's.

To my surprise EV sales in Norway are at record breaking levels:

Norway EV Market Share Breaks All Records — 75% Of Vehicles Sold Have Plugs! Norway's electric vehicle revolution broke new ground in March 2020, with plug-in vehicles now representing over 75% of vehicle sales in the country. Of the remaining quarter share, plug-less hybrids took 7.1%, diesel 10%, and petrol 7.7%.
If you want to geek out about how far Norway is along the path to BEVs, check out the live updating registrations of new BEVs there: Registreringer av nye elbiler i Norge

I admit I check probably near daily just out of jealousy of how many BEVs sell there relative to the market size.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Probably won't work as poor cannot afford EVs yet.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Probably won't work as poor cannot afford EVs yet.
In another 15 years, maybe earlier, I think it may be a very realistic scenario that the poor can only afford EVs and the ICE cars (high end sports cars, muscle cars, classic cars, etc) are for the rich.

If you want to geek out about how far Norway is along the path to BEVs, check out the live updating registrations of new BEVs there: Registreringer av nye elbiler i Norge

I admit I check probably near daily just out of jealousy of how many BEVs sell there relative to the market size.
Interesting country Norway is... If my math and data are correct...
Norwegians drive BEVs while producing ~120 barrels of oil a year per every Norwegian.
Americans drive big inefficient ICE SUVs while consuming ~23 barrels oil per year per every American.

·
Registered
Model 3 -> Mach-E First Edition
89 Posts
Norwegians drive BEVs while producing ~120 barrels of oil a year per every Norwegian.
Americans drive big inefficient ICE SUVs while consuming ~23 barrels oil per year per every American.
There's no reason we couldn't have taken the same tact here in the US - other than politics. Push for huge EV adoption, while simultaneously exporting a crap ton of oil and funding a sovereign wealth fund for future generations to enjoy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
In another 15 years, maybe earlier, I think it may be a very realistic scenario that the poor can only afford EVs and the ICE cars (high end sports cars, muscle cars, classic cars, etc) are for the rich.

There's a reason they have one of the cleanest environments and the largest sovereign wealth fund in the world.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts