Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
First Edition Mach-E, Carbonized Grey #10004515, GT Mach-E, White # 10006557
23 Posts
There's no reason we couldn't have taken the same tact here in the US - other than politics. Push for huge EV adoption, while simultaneously exporting a crap ton of oil and funding a sovereign wealth fund for future generations to enjoy.
As I await my MME-FE; Food for thought here...(and FYI- I was one of the earliest adopters of Reduce, Reuse, Recyle-in that order!)-Without turing this into a political conversation, and another FYI-I do not have a science background, just thinking out loud here...What about all of the plastics we use in a) daily life, b) In the newer, lighter, more fuel efficient vehicles-including EVs, and c) especially with Covid-19 and in the increased need for PPE-everything in the medical field that has become disposable plastic instead of ‘clean, sanitized and reused equipment.‘ From my understanding the refinement of petroleum/crude oil is similar to “using the whole cow“...part of thIs particular fossil fuel is used for petrol, but the other part of the fossil fuels is what plastics (Petroleum products) are made from, along with other uses of the fractioned fossil fuels. If we give up ICE, what about the plastics? what will we do with the remaining petroleum? Anyone have a chemistry degree and can explain?

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts
As I await my MME-FE; Food for thought here...(and FYI- I was one of the earliest adopters of Reduce, Reuse, Recyle-in that order!)-Without turing this into a political conversation, and another FYI-I do not have a science background, just thinking out loud here...What about all of the plastics we use in a) daily life, b) In the newer, lighter, more fuel efficient vehicles-including EVs, and c) especially with Covid-19 and in the increased need for PPE-everything in the medical field that has become disposable plastic instead of ‘clean, sanitized and reused equipment.‘ From my understanding the refinement of petroleum/crude oil is similar to “using the whole cow“...part of thIs particular fossil fuel is used for petrol, but the other part of the fossil fuels is what plastics (Petroleum products) are made from, along with other uses of the fractioned fossil fuels. If we give up ICE, what about the plastics? what will we do with the remaining petroleum? Anyone have a chemistry degree and can explain?
Here is an company using 100% recycled plastic bottles to make roads.

Reactions: KCC12

·
Registered
620 Posts
Clearly we could just leave the petroleum in the ground, but until then yes plastics are a fact of life that also needs to be addressed. ICE cars have just as much plastic, so I don't see BEV's making that worse

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,120 Posts
Clearly we could just leave the petroleum in the ground, but until then yes plastics are a fact of life that also needs to be addressed. ICE cars have just as much plastic, so I don't see BEV's making that worse
Most plastics are made from petroleum gas, not oil. The fracking boom for gas has resulted in major moves by the fossil fuel companies to get us to use more plastics.

·
Registered
First Edition Mach-E, Carbonized Grey #10004515, GT Mach-E, White # 10006557
23 Posts
Most plastics are made from petroleum gas, not oil. The fracking boom for gas has resulted in major moves by the fossil fuel companies to get us to use more plastics.
Thanks for insight! Even more reason to reduce our plastic use! I was sad last time I went to Colorado...beautiful prairie lands were now full of roads that were lined with fracking.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
This makes me laugh. By 2030, let alone 2035, virtually no one will want to buy an ICE car. Seriously, no one.
Don't bet on it. Diehard motorheads who love the roar of their engines will take a long time to switch to a silent car, or even one like the Mach-E 1400 with high pitched squeals. There are also a huge number of people who subscribe to the disinformation campaigns from the American Petroleum Institute. Then there is also the issue of being able to produce enough batteries as well as generating enough electricity for all to convert to BEVs.

In Europe and China they will stop buying ICEs, but good old Americans will insist on exercising their right to be stupid, shortsighted, and self destructive.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
922 Posts
Don't bet on it. Diehard motorheads who love the roar of their engines will take a long time to switch to a silent car, or even one like the Mach-E 1400 with high pitched squeals. There are also a huge number of people who subscribe to the disinformation campaigns from the American Petroleum Institute. Then there is also the issue of being able to produce enough batteries as well as generating enough electricity for all to convert to BEVs.

In Europe and China they will stop buying ICEs, but good old Americans will insist on exercising their right to be stupid, shortsighted, and self destructive.
That gives the Politicians 15 years to upgrade the electrical infrastructure so that they don't have to order rolling brownouts to keep the Air Cons running in the summer. Good Luck with that 🤣

·
Premium Member
113 Posts

You make valid points.

But nearly everyone who has driven an EV for a few weeks realizes the manifold advantages: from amazing performance, lower cost, and less maintenance. No warmup, no danger of dying in your garage, and they even embrace the quiet ride. I stand by my prediction, but, as always, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
Spark EV 2016
50 Posts
Your northern neighbors are not immune to this way of thinking. This is why we need leadership.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
148 Posts
You make valid points.

But nearly everyone who has driven an EV for a few weeks realizes the manifold advantages: from amazing performance, lower cost, and less maintenance. No warmup, no danger of dying in your garage, and they even embrace the quiet ride. I stand by my prediction, but, as always, I could be wrong.
After driving one, I find that the EV is clearly a step above and represents the future of driving. How long it takes the general public to realize this is the question. I anticipate huge disinformation campaigns modelled on the ones in the past from tobacco companies, as well as disincentive campaigns backed by oil companies like Texas's planned tax on EVs.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
867 Posts
After driving one, I find that the EV is clearly a step above and represents the future of driving. How long it takes the general public to realize this is the question. I anticipate huge disinformation campaigns modelled on the ones in the past from tobacco companies, as well as disincentive campaigns backed by oil companies like Texas's planned tax on EVs.
There is one problem: Gasoline and diesel fuel carry a tax. That tax is used to support our roads. EV's do not use fuel and hence do not pay tax. As more and more EV's are replacing ICE, that tax shortfall will have to be made up somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts
There is one problem: Gasoline and diesel fuel carry a tax. That tax is used to support our roads. EV's do not use fuel and hence do not pay tax. As more and more EV's are replacing ICE, that tax shortfall will have to be made up somewhere.

Yeah, I also foresee a ‘road-use’ tax somewhere in the future.

But EVs are less than 2% US registrations right now. It will be a few years before ICE car use diminishes to the point it affects tax revenue. Any tax implemented right now is strictly to hinder advancement.

When it comes time for the tax, I rather pay at registration time, rather than be scanned and charged each time i am out-and-about.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Illinois has an EV surcharge on the car registration of $100 over ICE cars. $251 annually vs $151 for ICE

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
148 Posts
Of course, you could tax the ICE vehicles to speed the transition, instead of the EVs to slow the transition. Canada currently has much higher gas taxes than Texas. Especially if Texas benefits from have a Tesla Gigafactory. Or you could have toll roads, so the actual users of the roads are the ones who pay for them. I think a user-pay system is a good one.

I lived in a municipality that was a mining community. The mines shipped their ore by train, but decided to change this because trains charged fairly high fees to support things like track maintenance. The mines developed an ore slurry they could transport by tanker truck. These trucks began to make frequent trips through our city, destroying the main roads in the process with the high traffic heavy loads. Trucks were much cheaper for them, because they downloaded all the road maintenance cost onto our municipality. A toll on these trucks would have been a good solution to the road maintenance problem.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Minnesota has a $75 annual EV tax and the state gas tax is $0.28 per gallon. So for a high mileage driver, the EV tax is less than what it is for an ICE driver. A low mileage EV driver will save very little. There are no state incentives for an EV purchase, so for me too go green is a net expense in the short term. I am fascinated by the technology of EV and am looking to do less auto maintenance. I also think the rush to 100% BEV is a bit overstated in this forum. I don't see hybrid PHEV as ever disappearing completely.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
922 Posts
Yeah, I also foresee a ‘road-use’ tax somewhere in the future.

But EVs are less than 2% US registrations right now. It will be a few years before ICE car use diminishes to the point it affects tax revenue. Any tax implemented right now is strictly to hinder advancement.

When it comes time for the tax, I rather pay at registration time, rather than be scanned and charged each time i am out-and-about.
In Nevada the registration fee which can be several thousands of dollars is based on MSRP and is generally quite steep in most instances. The use of registration as a 'tax' doesn't take into account road usage of the vehicle. If an ICE clocks 15,000 miles per year the road/gas tax is based on the fuel usage. Ergo, if one only drives 4000 miles per year they pay less fuel/road tax. Registration based taxation is a regressive tax on Seniors and low income persons that generally drive fewer miles due to retirement and or income. I believe that taxes on EVs should be based on annual mileage driven (keeping in mind that home charging also includes taxes and fees)which could be verified at State Emissions Stations where here in Nevada an owner can renew registration at the 'Smog' station and the info sent electronically to the DMV. Several years ago I purchased a Caddy CTS V and paid thousands in a 'Gas Guzzler Tax' . OK the beast only got 18MPG on the highway and 10 MPG city so no gripes on my part. However, two years later when I traded it in with 6200 miles on the clock it occurred to me that I used less gas than an average ICE driver that clocks 12,000 to 15,000 miles per year on a vehicle that got twice the MPG of the Caddy.
Taxes have to come from somewhere therefore, I believe that taxation should be based on road usage (miles driven) and the MSRP of the vehicle purchased. IJMO/ICBW

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts
In Nevada the registration fee which can be several thousands of dollars is based on MSRP and is generally quite steep in most instances. The use of registration as a 'tax' doesn't take into account road usage of the vehicle. If an ICE clocks 15,000 miles per year the road/gas tax is based on the fuel usage. Ergo, if one only drives 4000 miles per year they pay less fuel/road tax. Registration based taxation is a regressive tax on Seniors and low income persons that generally drive fewer miles due to retirement and or income. I believe that taxes on EVs should be based on annual mileage driven (keeping in mind that home charging also includes taxes and fees)which could be verified at State Emissions Stations where here in Nevada an owner can renew registration at the 'Smog' station and the info sent electronically to the DMV. Several years ago I purchased a Caddy CTS V and paid thousands in a 'Gas Guzzler Tax' . OK the beast only got 18MPG on the highway and 10 MPG city so no gripes on my part. However, two years later when I traded it in with 6200 miles on the clock it occurred to me that I used less gas than an average ICE driver that clocks 12,000 to 15,000 miles per year on a vehicle that got twice the MPG of the Caddy.
Taxes have to come from somewhere therefore, I believe that taxation should be based on road usage (miles driven) and the MSRP of the vehicle purchased. IJMO/ICBW
Registration here in NJ is roughly $100/year, depending on vehicle class.

But unlike you in NV, we have high property tax, and also pay income tax.

what I was referring to earlier, was the ‘commuter’ charge. ‘If we see you here, i am charging you $10 for the day.’ This is what i am against.

I can see a registration renewal charge based on mileage, as long as it isn’t exorbitant. Maybe like .02¢ a mile.

In the end, the States need to get funding from somewhere.

81 - 100 of 113 Posts