Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
922 Posts
Or maybe it will become part of your electric bill, considering they have to also upgrade the grid.
Or maybe it will become part of your electric bill, considering they have to also upgrade the grid.
I started a new thread on 'Upgrading the Grid' under non Mach E topics. I'm looking for input as to what's happening out there. Please don't respond to me here.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Registration here in NJ is roughly $100/year, depending on vehicle class.

But unlike you in NV, we have high property tax, and also pay income tax.

what I was referring to earlier, was the ‘commuter’ charge. ‘If we see you here, i am charging you $10 for the day.’ This is what i am against.

I can see a registration renewal charge based on mileage, as long as it isn’t exorbitant. Maybe like .02¢ a mile.

In the end, the States need to get funding from somewhere.
Absolutely agree no "commuter charge" as to a mileage charge, base it against the Federal, State gas and sales taxes using and average MPG for a similar class of ICE vehicle. How many gallons of gas would this vehicle have used to drive the mileage times the taxes per gallon would equal the amount of EV 'usage tax'. Less miles driven less taxes same as fuel taxes. Unlike a per gallon fuel tax, a flat rate EV tax for all, subsidizes high mileage EV drivers at the expense of low mileage drivers who, as I previously stated may be less likely to afford the expense.

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts
Absolutely agree no "commuter charge" as to a mileage charge, base it against the Federal, State gas and sales taxes using and average MPG for a similar class of ICE vehicle. How many gallons of gas would this vehicle have used to drive the mileage times the taxes per gallon would equal the amount of EV 'usage tax'. Less miles driven less taxes same as fuel taxes. Unlike a per gallon fuel tax, a flat rate EV tax for all, subsidizes high mileage EV drivers at the expense of low mileage drivers who, as I previously stated may be less likely to afford the expense.
You already pay taxes on the electricity. So the fuel for EVs was taxed. Why should you pay more?

As for road-use, unless vehicles report their mileage to big-brother, there is no way to track individual usage.

I have no kids, yet a large part of my property tax goes to the schools. In the same vein, States will unfortunately take a flat-fee at vehicle registration to make up for lost revenue. Its too difficult to track otherwise.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
You already pay taxes on the electricity. So the fuel for EVs was taxed. Why should you pay more?

As for road-use, unless vehicles report their mileage to big-brother, there is no way to track individual usage.

I have no kids, yet a large part of my property tax goes to the schools. In the same vein, States will unfortunately take a flat-fee at vehicle registration to make up for lost revenue. Its too difficult to track otherwise.
You're absolutely spot on, unfortunately the States will take the easy route and charge everyone a flat fee. As to reporting to big brother, every year, after year one, vehicles in Clark County, Nevada must be inspected and the mileage and emissions data is transmitted to DMV. Currently PHEVs and BEVs are exempt but the data has been collected for quite some time. I think the school thing has to do with the country being better off with an educated populous so we all benefit. Not sure if you or I are getting our money's worth 🙄

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Anyone else see the news about ZETA? 28 Companies like Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, Uber, and Siemens joined forces to push for 100% EV sales by 2030.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Anyone else see the news about ZETA? 28 Companies like Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, Uber, and Siemens joined forces to push for 100% EV sales by 2030.

It makes good business sense apart from environmental issues because BEVs use 40% less parts which means less salaried labor and more automated assembly. The only downside which I believe is a short term problem is current battery cost. When the cost of producing batteries go down it's a big win for vehicle manufacturers.

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts
It makes good business sense apart from environmental issues because BEVs use 40% less parts which means less salaried labor and more automated assembly. The only downside which I believe is a short term problem is current battery cost. When the cost of producing batteries go down it's a big win for vehicle manufacturers.
LOL, this is a lobbyist group exact opposite of the oil lobbyists. They are attempting to kill off their competition with regulations, rather than their products.
While I feel renewable energy industries are the future, I don’t know if over/regulation is the way to go about it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
LOL, this is a lobbyist group exact opposite of the oil lobbyists. They are attempting to kill off their competition with regulations, rather than their products.
While I feel renewable energy industries are the future, I don’t know if over/regulation is the way to go about it.
LOL+++ wonder how these guys would react to a ban on cobalt mining/imports. Cue the "we're not there yet excuses"...

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,120 Posts
Considering the huge subsidies to the oil industry this helps level the playing field.

·
Registered
Model 3 -> Mach-E First Edition
89 Posts
The difference here is they're lobbying for a better future, something oil lobbyists are not.

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts
The difference here is they're lobbying for a better future, something oil lobbyists are not.
my point is its self-serving, not for the environment. Lobby for incentives, infrastructure programs, etc, sure. But to ban your competition? That’s a bit shady, just like the oil lobbyists.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I agree that the trend will result in a 'better future' however I'm a bit skeptical that is the motive behind the lobbying and I'm even more skeptical about giving the final say on consumer decisions to 'our elected representatives' I'm went to PHEV and now BEV because I wanted to buy something that reduced or didn't utilize petroleum. I spent many years in DC and frankly in my opinion there are more informed people on this forum than in the Congress or State Legislatures. I like being informed and I don't mind a 'gentle nudge' in the right direction based on data however I don't like being 'shoved' by some politician. In any case, feel free to disagree since IJMO/ICBW.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts