Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that i have had my R1T for a while and been using it in daily life, I have an opinion question.

I live in Southern California. When i got my Tesla 6 years ago, i got PPF and ceramic coating and hand washed it for almost 4 years. I kept the car in the garage and it stayed looking nice for quite a while. When i first got my R1T I got PPF and Ceramic coat put on and washed it every week by hand. That has now turned to every other week.

The problem is with keeping my Rivian outside, it begins to show dust and bee poop spots after about 4 days. We currently have three of our cars on an unlimited plan at the local car wash and wash the cars at least once a week, even if we dont dry afterwards and they stay shiny most of the time. The car wash is not brushless, but the place keeps the equipment in good order and i have not really seen any scratches on the car.

My question is if i should put the Rivian on the plan to keep it cleaner, or just buckle down and wash it by hand every week? The car wash is easier and i know I would do it more often, but I also know it would ruin the ceramic coating. But with it being kept outside and getting all the dust and bee poop (the little yellow dots) often, how much does the ceramic coating matter?

·
Registered
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
317 Posts
You may not see brush scratches, but you would if you looked closer. Never put ANY vehicle in a car wash.

·
Registered
2021 FE Carbonized Gray
81 Posts
Now that i have had my R1T for a while and been using it in daily life, I have an opinion question.

I live in Southern California. When i got my Tesla 6 years ago, i got PPF and ceramic coating and hand washed it for almost 4 years. I kept the car in the garage and it stayed looking nice for quite a while. When i first got my R1T I got PPF and Ceramic coat put on and washed it every week by hand. That has now turned to every other week.

The problem is with keeping my Rivian outside, it begins to show dust and bee poop spots after about 4 days. We currently have three of our cars on an unlimited plan at the local car wash and wash the cars at least once a week, even if we dont dry afterwards and they stay shiny most of the time. The car wash is not brushless, but the place keeps the equipment in good order and i have not really seen any scratches on the car.

My question is if i should put the Rivian on the plan to keep it cleaner, or just buckle down and wash it by hand every week? The car wash is easier and i know I would do it more often, but I also know it would ruin the ceramic coating. But with it being kept outside and getting all the dust and bee poop (the little yellow dots) often, how much does the ceramic coating matter?
Car wash. Swirls not caused by car wash. You will get swirls no matter what you do. Hand wash, car wash, brushless, don't wash. Just having the car causes swirl marks.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts

Hand wash, that said I only do it once a month or so because mine is garage kept. Also, I demurred at paying for ceramic and no interest in using protective film, I"ve had it on motorcycles bicycles and sports cars over the years, but this is just not that exotic to put the $$ into it. I opt for annual sealant that my detailer applies, he charges $150 and has been doing my cars for years. This sealant helps make handwashing easy and it stays relatively clean between washes.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Hand wash, that said I only do it once a month or so because mine is garage kept. Also, I demurred at paying for ceramic and no interest in using protective film, I"ve had it on motorcycles bicycles and sports cars over the years, but this is just not that exotic to put the $$ into it. I opt for annual sealant that my detailer applies, he charges $150 and has been doing my cars for years. This sealant helps make handwashing easy and it stays relatively clean between washes.
After you wash you car, you might want to consider using Meguiar's Ceramic Hybrid Wax.

I put a coat on both my cars last fall. I garage my cars as you do. The water was still beading this fall. I just re-applied. It took less than 10 minutes per car and total cost was under $5 per car. Best value I have found and highly recommend.

see:

·
Registered
2021 FE Carbonized Gray
81 Posts
You may not see brush scratches, but you would if you looked closer. Never put ANY vehicle in a car wash.
And if you looked closely same thing with hand wash. Even doing double bucket. When you move the sponge what happens to the dirt? It moves with sponge. U will get swirl marks no matter what you do.
But no matter it is a car like clean car and live in seattle not spending hours washing car ever week/day

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After you wash you car, you might want to consider using Meguiar's Ceramic Hybrid Wax.

I put a coat on both my cars last fall. I garage my cars as you do. The water was still beading this fall. I just re-applied. It took less than 10 minutes per car and total cost was under $5 per car. Best value I have found and highly recommend.

see:
auto detailing silver spring
thank you so much for your suggestion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts