Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Chinese battery maker CATL is promising a battery integrated into the frame of future electric vehicles, which they predict will lead to over 500 miles / 800 kilometres of range for new models New Battery Technology

·
Registered
192 Posts
My initial reaction is that we'll get to the 500 mile range within the next 5 years without resorting to drastic packaging changes to the basic skateboard type design. The batteries at present on almost all BEVs are somewhat in-board so the vehicle can survive minor fender benders without damage. I also don't think auto manufacturers will want to re-package the batteries every time they design a new vehicle/platform. There is no frame in most cases.... almost all modern cars are unibody design.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
My initial reaction is that we'll get to the 500 mile range within the next 5 years without resorting to drastic packaging changes to the basic skateboard type design. The batteries at present on almost all BEVs are somewhat in-board so the vehicle can survive minor fender benders without damage. I also don't think auto manufacturers will want to re-package the batteries every time they design a new vehicle/platform. There is no frame in most cases.... almost all modern cars are unibody design.
Agree. I think only 2 years for 500 miles...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Agree. I think only 2 years for 500 miles...
A 500 range is basically good enough for almost everyone. With a meal stop and a couple of rest stops, it'll be good for a 700 mile + driving day. I make a ~650 mile drive a few times a year (college drop off and pick up)... ~10-11 Hrs door to door. It's about the most I want to drive in a single day/shot .
By the time we get the 500 mile range, charging networks will be at a point we won't be discussing range anxiety any more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts